great job by the refs to not assume what happened on christmas's block | Syracusefan.com

great job by the refs to not assume what happened on christmas's block

Millhouse

Living Legend
in real time, you just assume that there had to be a foul because it's such a spectacular play by christmas - it just seemed so unlikely. maybe Christmas benefited from the dunk almost going down anyway. if he gets a full hand on it and really stuffs him , maybe they call the foul.

95% of the time the refs blow the whistle assuming there had to be a foul

Really good point, and nice restraint by the refs. Truthfully, I think they had to be pleasantly surprised by the overall level at which the game was played, and that may have played a role.

I can't believe Duke fans still crying that it was a foul.

It was a great block. End game situation, you need to make a play. Christmas did that.

No ref is making that call in a game like this, even if there was contact, which there wasn't. He missed the dunk because Roc got his hand on the ball. There was some slight arm contact on the follow through because Hood was dunking it. The contact was as much his motion forward as it was Roc's. But the ball was dislodged prior to the contact. No foul. Good no call by the officials.

Three things impacted the play not being called--first, Rak got all ball with his hand, and the contact that came afterward was minimal / initiated by Hood's follow through, not by Rak hitting his arm and changing the trajectory of the field goal attempt.

Second, Hood tried to jump from too far out, so the refs were perhaps more inclined to not view it as a sure dunk and automatically blow the anticipatory whistle that Millhouse talks about above.

Third, Rak avoided hitting him with the lower body--which would surely have drawn a foul.

It was a great defensive play by our player. Bang-bang play, without a ton of contact or obvious impact on the shot attempt. Could it have been called a foul? Sure. But those pretending that it is was a no-brainer missed call or bitching that it was a clear foul that should have been called are just expressing sour grapes.

Bang bang play like that how can you make that call? You have to super slow mo it to even see the minimal contact.

I will give them the Parker 5th foul. That was really a favorable call that went our way. I have orange colored glasses and even I saw it.

in real time, you just assume that there had to be a foul because it's such a spectacular play by christmas - it just seemed so unlikely. maybe Christmas benefited from the dunk almost going down anyway. if he gets a full hand on it and really stuffs him , maybe they call the foul.

95% of the time the refs blow the whistle assuming there had to be a foul

Agreed. With the slow motion video I am having a very hard time seeing any contact between Christmas and Hood's arm. Yet, several announcers and sportscasters keep going on and on about this non-call.

Agreed. With the slow motion video I am having a very hard time seeing any contact between Christmas and Hood's arm. Yet, several announcers and sportscasters keep going on and on about this non-call.
my lone quibble with espn is that the overhead view showed it wasn't a foul but they kept showing other angles

but of course if espn didn't bring 10,000 cameras, we wouldn't have gotten that angle so i can't complain

in football especially, they don't show the best angles often

I think some of the duke fans wee saying they were fine with the no call on tht but the "tickey tack" fouls on Parker and Jefferson is what they were really mad at.

IMO, the refs made a great no call, minimal contact, Rak got all ball. Yah there was very little contact on it though.

They Act like they got screwd by the refs, Grant was fouled twice, one in the first half on a missed putback, and when he got taken to the ground. The. Ennis being ridden all game. And the push in the back that sent CJ to the floor, Thor ton made no play on the ball.

Let duke fans cry, their tears feed me.

Duke fans are spoiled by a history of preferential treatment by ACC refs. I for one love to hear them whine and cry like a bunch of spoiled brats. That they did not get all the calls says a lot about the respect for the Cuse program. LGO!

I think some of the duke fans wee saying they were fine with the no call on tht but the "tickey tack" fouls on Parker and Jefferson is what they were really mad at.

IMO, the refs made a great no call, minimal contact, Rak got all ball. Yah there was very little contact on it though.

They Act like they got screwd by the refs, Grant was fouled twice, one in the first half on a missed putback, and when he got taken to the ground. The. Ennis being ridden all game. And the push in the back that sent CJ to the floor, Thor ton made no play on the ball.

Grant got killed in the first half. Even Vitale said it was a blantant foul.

Three things impacted the play not being called--first, Rak got all ball with his hand, and the contact that came afterward was minimal / initiated by Hood's follow through, not by Rak hitting his arm and changing the trajectory of the field goal attempt.

Second, Hood tried to jump from too far out, so the refs were perhaps more inclined to not view it as a sure dunk and automatically blow the anticipatory whistle that Millhouse talks about above.

Third, Rak avoided hitting him with the lower body--which would surely have drawn a foul.

It was a great defensive play by our player. Bang-bang play, without a ton of contact or obvious impact on the shot attempt. Could it have been called a foul? Sure. But those pretending that it is was a no-brainer missed call or bitching that it was a clear foul that should have been called are just expressing sour grapes.

All of this. Add the ingredient that Rak didn't look like he was just trying to deny the dunk by fouling Hood. Because he wasn't. He was making, and he made, a legitimate play on the ball, and on the ball alone. Again, dare I say, very Alonzo Mourning-like.

Last edited:
i've talked to a couple duke fans since the game and that play is always the first thing they mention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom