Great scouting report on NFL potential of Alton and Kendall | Syracusefan.com

Great scouting report on NFL potential of Alton and Kendall

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet

Credit to Cuselegacy for posting this in daily articles. Thought people might miss it and would really enjoy it.

Spot on. As I have said a ton of times they both have first team all acc and all American talent. They get there different ways but they still get there. Coach Stanard has done a fabulous job with these kids and once the recruits see that we should be pretty stacked on dline in future.

That’s exciting they’re getting the attention they deserve, so much to look forward to this Fall!

Just reviewing those highlights I’d think Clemson will try to pound the rock and try to avoid any obvious passing situations in the dome. Crazy to suggest that given their talent but rattling what’s his face is our best chance at slowing them down.

I think most teams will-I would. Remember we were beating Clemson before Lawrence got hurt and they decided to basically run the ball.
Just reviewing those highlights I’d think Clemson will try to pound the rock and try to avoid any obvious passing situations in the dome.

Clemson is on a different plane than the rest of CFB. They'll run or pass because they rightly believe they can do both on anyone*... BUT there's no doubt that our DL caused them issues last year and should again this year. It's going to take a lot, but pressure on the QB is one of the ways we can get there.

Great read.

*See national championship game.

Clemson is on a different plane than the rest of CFB. They'll run or pass because they rightly believe they can do both on anyone*... BUT there's no doubt that our DL caused them issues last year and should again this year. It's going to take a lot, but pressure on the QB is one of the ways we can get there.

Great read.

Wonder if we’ll scheme to give Foster or Trill opportunities from the outside to hit Lawrence.

Would leave us vulnerable but gotta be thinking he feels less than safe vs our pass rush.

Clemson is on a different plane than the rest of CFB. They'll run or pass because they rightly believe they can do both on anyone*
I do wonder how much their game planning for us last year was affected by their quarterback chaos. Look at how we pooped the bed vs the Irish under similar circumstances.

I do wonder how much their game planning for us last year was affected by their quarterback chaos. Look at how we pooped the bed vs the Irish under similar circumstances.

That ND game was weird. ED going down so early really changed things. But, they had us so figured out schematically ... Strange stuff.

That ND game was weird. ED going down so early really changed things. But, they had us so figured out schematically ... Strange stuff.
Care to elaborate? I just assumed we were out-talented and unprepared to adjust our game plan when TD had to step in. Also, it wasn't like ED was faring any better before he went down.

It was an overall stinker of a game. Not something we've been accustomed to with Dino.

Care to elaborate? I just assumed we were out-talented and unprepared to adjust our game plan when TD had to step in. Also, it wasn't like ED was faring any better before he went down.

It was an overall stinker of a game. Not something we've been accustomed to with Dino.

They had a very good defense - but Tommy filled in vs other teams when a sudden injury to ED and really played well. I just think ND had a bead on us (either legit through scouting - like “they like to do x when the D shows y” or through other more nefarious methods. I have no proof - just thought a complete manhandling of our O was way out of character for last year)

They had a very good defense - but Tommy filled in vs other teams when a sudden injury to ED and really played well. I just think ND had a bead on us (either legit through scouting - like “they like to do x when the D shows y” or through other more nefarious methods. I have no proof - just thought a complete manhandling of our O was way out of character for last year)
It makes me nervous when I hear "they had a bead on us". Are we supposed to believe they had better scouting than everyone else? I thought our scheme was somewhat immune to tendencies -- that it was predicated on what the defense gives.

I don't even remember much in the way of in-depth post-game analysis, so I guess I'm asking if anyone has unique breakdown of the game (I realize this is almost a year later but some have incredible recall). Maybe everyone was completely intoxicated and too depressed to care at the time because that was probably hands down the worst SU-sports weekend of the year.

It makes me nervous when I hear "they had a bead on us". Are we supposed to believe they had better scouting than everyone else? I thought our scheme was somewhat immune to tendencies -- that it was predicated on what the defense gives.

I don't even remember much in the way of in-depth post-game analysis, so I guess I'm asking if anyone has unique breakdown of the game (I realize this is almost a year later but some have incredible recall). Maybe everyone was completely intoxicated and too depressed to care at the time because that was probably hands down the worst SU-sports weekend of the year.

We def got off to a bad start with Dungey but I think we really missed his scrambling ability that day. I just remember their D-Line feasting on the O-line. Nothing any offensive scheme can do to stop that. If Dungey stayed in the game healthy the result would've been similar to the Miami game in 2017 IMO

Just reviewing those highlights I’d think Clemson will try to pound the rock and try to avoid any obvious passing situations in the dome. Crazy to suggest that given their talent but rattling what’s his face is our best chance at slowing them down.
I feel differently because they feel they have the golden child at qb and we can’t stay with them in whatever they do. Different than when backup was in. They think he is a whole different qb from su game to bama. They will sling the ball knowing or thinking they can run if necessary. Key for us is come out strong and score.

Great read.

We need pressure and as I watched them with their 4 first rounders we blocked them ok for man to man until heavy pressure came.

No in-depth analysis from me, but I did see a few things. I think their line was attacking and their LBs waiting for the jail break from Dungy. I think their DL beat our OL. I also think our WRs were not at their best for some reason. Where this became apparent and problematic was when TD came in. His first few passes were absolutely perfect throws that were not caught. I was shocked at how good those throws were. I think at that point even he realized it was going to take something other than his arm, and as I said, their front seven was keyed on the run. Our LBs were outmatched I think. Don't overlook that we once again put up a bad game against a former coach (now DC, then LB coach Clark Lea). Possible he had a better respect for Dungy and a better understanding of the execution he was seeing on film, and was better able to scheme for it.

No in-depth analysis from me, but I did see a few things. I think their line was attacking and their LBs waiting for the jail break from Dungy. I think their DL beat our OL. I also think our WRs were not at their best for some reason. Where this became apparent and problematic was when TD came in. His first few passes were absolutely perfect throws that were not caught. I was shocked at how good those throws were. I think at that point even he realized it was going to take something other than his arm, and as I said, their front seven was keyed on the run. Our LBs were outmatched I think. Don't overlook that we once again put up a bad game against a former coach (now DC, then LB coach Clark Lea). Possible he had a better respect for Dungy and a better understanding of the execution he was seeing on film, and was better able to scheme for it.
I do remember TD had a long pass dropped in the endzone that would’ve made it a ballgame at the half. Not the easiest catch but Big time receivers need to make those plays.

Is the a "you better kiss me ,you're going to miss me when i'm gone " moment ?

My understanding is that the gameplan for the ND game was to largely rely on the athletic ability of a Eric Dungey to move the ball and make plays. Leveraging him was our best chance to win.

When he went down, that game plan had to be trashed and we were stuck in a real pickle. If it looked like we were unprepared and a mess out there, it is because we were.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the gameplan for the ND game was to largely rely on the athletic ability to move the ball and make plays. Leveraging him was our best chance to win.

When he went down, that game plan had to be trashed and we were stuck in a real pickle. If it looked like we were unprepared and a mess out there, it is because we were.

This makes the most sense.

It's a game that I didn't get a chance to watch closely, especially the second half, but from what I remember, it was a really bad match up for us on both sides of the ball. I thought they were the most physical team by far, that we played all year, and they just physically ground us down. They won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, by a mile. And you are just not going to be competitive when you lose in the trenches to the degree we did. Their d- scheme was pretty much to play man free and 2-man with a qb spy. They matched up really well on the outside and were able to take away the wideouts in man. That left us the slot receivers to target where they were matched up with a lb or nickel with the safeties playing over top. Riley and Nykeem were just outmatched when having to compete for the ball, and everything was contested.

It's a game that I didn't get a chance to watch closely, especially the second half, but from what I remember, it was a really bad match up for us on both sides of the ball. I thought they were the most physical team by far, that we played all year, and they just physically ground us down. They won the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball, by a mile. And you are just not going to be competitive when you lose in the trenches to the degree we did. Their d- scheme was pretty much to play man free and 2-man with a qb spy. They matched up really well on the outside and were able to take away the wideouts in man. That left us the slot receivers to target where they were matched up with a lb or nickel with the safeties playing over top. Riley and Nykeem were just outmatched when having to compete for the ball, and everything was contested.
Clemson handled them easily, so the notion that we were outmuscled definitely is a little odd, but it certainly looked that way for sure.