Greatest Crow Chef SU Player of all time | Syracusefan.com

Greatest Crow Chef SU Player of all time

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Which SU player, over your fanhood, do you believe by the end of their career had served up the most crow to his non-believers/haters?

I think it will be Frank, but as it stands now its hard to argue against cooney or scoop.

Cooney? Im his biggest supporter - but he didnt hit his potential IMO. He was a top 50 recruit coming in. and had a great sophomore year. His jr and sr year he kind of regressed.

DId you mean Rautins?

Cooney doesn't belong anywhere close to that list. He had a nice final NCAAT run but no way did he serve crow. No need to go down that debate again but he wasn't an overachiever.

The obvious answer for the past decade is Frank. He still things I can't believe he did. JB gambled on him and won.

Cooney doesn't belong anywhere close to that list. He had a nice final NCAAT run but no way did he serve crow. No need to go down that debate again but he wasn't an overachiever.

The obvious answer for the past decade is Frank. He still things I can't believe he did. JB gambled on him and won.
That would imply that Frank has won over the vast majority of "haters". I don't believe that's the case to date. A stellar senior year could go a long ways in that department.

That would imply that Frank has won over the vast majority of "haters". I don't believe that's the case to date. A stellar senior year could go a long ways in that department.
He has.
Frank shouldn't have any haters for his play. What he did to hurt the program sucks but if the leader of the program bets on him and wins it goes away.

Their is no way a narrative that Cooney served crow to his doubters can be plausable. The guy played way too much wasn't as consistent as Frank was last year.
Frank scored 1 point mpg and had 2 more apg. While literally not even a 3rd guard was available after Howard Washington tore his ACL.

Cooney had guys under him atleast for depth that weren't walkons.

Howard shouldn't get any crap. Cooney should be left alone but he shouldn't be this board matyr and revisionist history tries to spin as better than just a solid player who got superstar minutes and wasn't that type of player.
GMac got plenty of crap and Cooney couldn't hold his jock.

Last edited:
I think Scoop's career, in retrospect, is a lot better than people gave him credit for while it was going on.

Frank is probably in a similar situation. I personally would take Scoop over Frank any day of the week, but that's just me.

I think Jason Hart got ragged on a lot during his career but looking back, he was very good. Craig Forth was another one who never really got credit for everything he did.

Jason Hart, GMac, Scoop, and Rautins are the ones who come to mind for me.

Gotta be Scoop. I was both out of the area and not so active with the internet fan site stuff during most of Andy Rautins' career, but he's probably worth a mention, too.

People like Jason Hart and Craig Forth took a ton of crap and seem popular now, but I don't think they really served crow as players so much as the critical fans matured and realized "Hey, they were valuable players." And in Hart's case, the NBA career probably serves to boost memories of him as a player, as well.

Frank's gonna be near the top of this list if he has a decent final season. Stuff people have said about him for the first few years has been truly awful. And Chukwu's a dark horse here as well. I don't think he's nearly as bad as he gets credit for.

Also, I say this kind of grudgingly after he showed his true colors in the past couple years in the real world, Lazarus Sims should be high on this list. The guy could barely dribble as an underclassman, he almost left at least once, and when faced with starting Sims as a junior, Boeheim instead found a JUCO player (which I think he'd never done before?). But then he put together a legitimately terrific individual and team performance for a full senior season and for 38 minutes had SU in a real position to win a national championship.

That's a crazy turnaround and Z should get recognized for that.

I don't know if he's the greatest example but Otis Hill - I remember guys like Bob Mathews saying he was a waste of a scholarship. Turned into a very good player..

Don't know if he qualifies as getting a lot of hate back in the day, but Allen Griffin comes to mind. Started early if I remember, then lost that, played less, then after Hart graduated and Bland transferred, he ended up having a great senior year, kind of playing both guard roles.

Rak Xmas was one of those guys for the first 2.5 years of his career.

I think Scoop and Cooney lead the all time 1st team guards, as of now.
Frank could bump one of them down to 2nd team if he has a really solid Sr year.

Which SU player, over your fanhood, do you believe by the end of their career had served up the most crow to his non-believers/haters?
Eric
I think it will be Frank, but as it stands now its hard to argue against cooney or scoop.

Eric

Good thread. I second Christmas and Scoop. People sometimes forget how much they beat up on Seikley early on in his career, so he is a solid choice. Finally I like the Chuckwu prediction, hope it's right

Rony Seikaly. You could convince me on Hart as well.

He has.
Frank shouldn't have any haters for his play. What he did to hurt the program sucks but if the leader of the program bets on him and wins it goes away.

Their is no way a narrative that Cooney served crow to his doubters can be plausable. The guy played way too much wasn't as consistent as Frank was last year.
Frank scored 1 point mpg and had 2 more apg. While literally not even a 3rd guard was available after Howard Washington tore his ACL.

Cooney had guys under him atleast for depth that weren't walkons.

Howard shouldn't get any crap. Cooney should be left alone but he shouldn't be this board matyr and revisionist history tries to spin as better than just a solid player who got superstar minutes and wasn't that type of player.
GMac got plenty of crap and Cooney couldn't hold his jock.
Idk. They both played way too many minutes, and I would say that frank was still very inconsistent.

Demetris Nichols seems like a guy who is not the greatest crow chef ever, but should be on the list.

Andy Rautins, as someone already alluded to. The guy had offers from Providence & St Bonaventure when he chose us, and he ended up being arguably the best defender at the top of the 2-3 in the history of the program.

Hakim Warrick, who was thought of as a consolation recruit, is definitely someone who qualifies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom