Greensboro ...Day One | Syracusefan.com

Greensboro ...Day One

cto

Administrator
Syracuse is staying at the same hotel as Duke, and there are literally no other guests here other than the two school contingents (players, staff, fans, etc). The two groups seem to be pretty friendly and good-natured towards each other, and the hotel staff is reveling in what is for them a treat. I asked the hotel manager whether he had ever hosted two opposing teams before, and he said no because most would not want to share a hotel with a team they might be playing. He said he had checked with both schools before letting the two of them share his hotel during the tourney.

I'm accustomed to seeing the SU players and coaches wandering around the team hotel, but it is a bit startling to look up and see Coach K or Jabari Parker. Assistant Duke coach Wojo (whom I know from the Olympics) spotted me with a group of SU folks in the lounge last night and came over to say hello. The SU folks enjoyed meeting him, and vice versa. I cannot imagine such a dynamic occurring with Georgetown

(PS: As has been my consistent practice, I am purposely not identifying the hotel)

The Greensboro Coliseum is a very nice facility. Huge corridors, comfy seats, lots of rooms available for entertaining (where adult beverages may be consumed) and acres of parking. I can see why the ACC likes to come here. A bunch of us went to the NC State/Miami game last night. Alas, our cheering was not enough to help Miami pull through. Although four teams were playing last night (Clemson and G Tech in the second game), the crowd was 95 per cent red-clad Wolfpack fans. Between the NC State and Duke fans, it will be a very challenging environment tonight. And I suspect we'll hear a few Denny's references as well.

Last edited:
cto said:
Syracuse is staying at the same hotel as Duke, and there are literally no other guests here other than the two school contingents (players, staff, fans, etc). The two groups seem to be pretty friendly and good-natured towards each other, and the hotel staff is reveling in what is for them a treat. I asked the hotel manager whether he had ever hosted two opposing teams before, and he said no because most would not want to share a hotel with a team they might be playing. He said he had checked with both schools before letting the two of them share his hotel during the tourney. I'm accustomed to seeing the SU players and coaches wandering around the team hotel, but it is a bit startling to look up and see Coach K or Jabari Parker. Assistant Duke coach Wojo (whom I know from the Olympics) spotted me with a group of SU folks in the lounge last night and came over to say hello. The SU folks enjoyed meeting him, and vice versa. I cannot imagine such a dynamic occurring with Georgetown (PS: As has been my consistent practice, I am purposely not identifying the hotel) The Greensboro Coliseum is a very nice facility. Huge corridors, comfy seats, lots of rooms available for entertaining (where adult beverages may be consumed) and acres of parking. I can see why the ACC likes to come here. A bunch of us went to the NC State/Miami game last night. Alas, our cheering was not enough to help Miami pull through. Although four teams were playing last night (Clemson and G Tech in the second game), the crowd was 95 per cent red-clad Wolfpack fans. Between the NC State and Duke fans, it will be Avery challenging environment tonight. And I suspect we'll hear a fee Denny's references as we'll.
Good stuff...I'm thinking you might be the only person on this earth that can claim to know Wojo because of the Olympics!

Although four teams were playing last night (Clemson and G Tech in the second game), the crowd was 95 per cent red-clad Wolfpack fans. Between the NC State and Duke fans, it will be a very challenging environment tonight. And I suspect we'll hear a few Denny's references as well.
You mean the NC St fans got interviews at Denny's?? Good for them!

Syracuse is staying at the same hotel as Duke, and there are literally no other guests here other than the two school contingents (players, staff, fans, etc). The two groups seem to be pretty friendly and good-natured towards each other, and the hotel staff is reveling in what is for them a treat. I asked the hotel manager whether he had ever hosted two opposing teams before, and he said no because most would not want to share a hotel with a team they might be playing. He said he had checked with both schools before letting the two of them share his hotel during the tourney.

I'm accustomed to seeing the SU players and coaches wandering around the team hotel, but it is a bit startling to look up and see Coach K or Jabari Parker. Assistant Duke coach Wojo (whom I know from the Olympics) spotted me with a group of SU folks in the lounge last night and came over to say hello. The SU folks enjoyed meeting him, and vice versa. I cannot imagine such a dynamic occurring with Georgetown

(PS: As has been my consistent practice, I am purposely not identifying the hotel)

The Greensboro Coliseum is a very nice facility. Huge corridors, comfy seats, lots of rooms available for entertaining (where adult beverages may be consumed) and acres of parking. I can see why the ACC likes to come here. A bunch of us went to the NC State/Miami game last night. Alas, our cheering was not enough to help Miami pull through. Although four teams were playing last night (Clemson and G Tech in the second game), the crowd was 95 per cent red-clad Wolfpack fans. Between the NC State and Duke fans, it will be a very challenging environment tonight. And I suspect we'll hear a few Denny's references as we'll.

See you in a few hours.

The Greensboro Coliseum is a very nice facility. Huge corridors, comfy seats, lots of rooms available for entertaining (where adult beverages may be consumed) and acres of parking. I can see why the ACC likes to come here. A bunch of us went to the NC State/Miami game last night. Alas, our cheering was not enough to help Miami pull through. Although four teams were playing last night (Clemson and G Tech in the second game), the crowd was 95 per cent red-clad Wolfpack fans. Between the NC State and Duke fans, it will be a very challenging environment tonight. And I suspect we'll hear a few Denny's references as well.

yesterday on Sportcenter there was a top 10 play from GT/Clemson and I was shocked how empty the place was

yesterday on Sportcenter there was a top 10 play from GT/Clemson and I was shocked how empty the place was
I posted this yesterday because of how embarrassing it was.
t1dSxqy.jpg

Looks like the only time there are fannies in the seats is when UNC, State, or Duke is playing. Those 3 schools will never let the ACCT leave Greensboro for long. It's a nice home court advantage for them as it's less than an hour away from campus. Nice for them.

I am not surprised. All the NC State fans left right after their game (I can say this authoritatively because we got stuck in their traffic jam).

I can't see Duke fans really rooting for NC State. They don't like each other. And I'd think they'd want to play us again. The way the first two games went? There absolutely has to be a third meeting. I can't see any Cuse or Duke fan not wanting that.

The ACC tournament has always been a great event. It's not what we're used to, but many were really overdoing it. It's a good place to watch a bball game, with some big, passionate fanbases...at least once you get down to the teams that matter. No it's not NYC, but at least you get actual spring weather for a few days.

Looks like the only time there are fannies in the seats is when UNC, State, or Duke is playing. Those 3 schools will never let the ACCT leave Greensboro for long. It's a nice home court advantage for them as it's less than an hour away from campus. Nice for them.

That's really not much different from the BET though. It's not like a Marquette-Seton Hall game was packing them in.

Thanks for the post. Keep us updated. I think I am going to regret not making this trip.

I live vicariously through so many of the people on this site - thanks for posting! LGO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom