Alan Griffin entering the draft, will sign with an agent | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Alan Griffin entering the draft, will sign with an agent

But he’ll be in the G-League for sure
Probably...but in 2 years?

I understand why he is leaving. I still think it is a mistake. So he is old for this year group...so. He isn't getting drafted anyways. Come back and finish up your degree. Work on your shot and defense... hopefully play in front of 15-35K fans...have some fun. Worst case you go International after next season. Best case you make a F4, do well and maybe sneak into the nba draft in '22.

Probably...but in 2 years?

I understand why he is leaving. I still think it is a mistake. So he is old for this year group...so. He isn't getting drafted anyways. Come back and finish up your degree. Work on your shot and defense... hopefully play in front of 15-35K fans...have some fun. Worst case you go International after next season. Best case you make a F4, do well and maybe sneak into the nba draft in '22.
I don't think it is a mistake. He probably couldn't find a spot, in a lateral or upward move, where he could show and grow to NBA.

Here he was losing out to Braswell and Cole is better than Braswell. And you have Benny coming in. JB might have given AG the courtesy seniority start, but he probably would have lost time throughout the year, if Benny is as good as we think. And all this doesn't even factor in QG returning.

IMO, AG was never coming back to SU. He probably was looking the whole time to see if an opportunity presented itself at a desired location that would have allowed a growth opportunity. It did not, so he ended the college gig.

Once Cuse, always Cuse. Wish the young man well and let him go through whatever his experiences will be. Who knows...maybe he makes it...maybe new doors open for him.

The only way he was Comin back to cuse woulda been in a body bag BC Boeheim woulda killed him lol #headcase
I honestly think this is addition by subtraction. Unfocused player who is out of position at the 3 and out of position at the 2.

I think we’ll benefit (if Q comes back) playing three forwards with the correct height for the wings of the zone.

Yes, someone said his dad would get him a two-way contract. Please read the thread and replies before coming at someone with a snarky response. Thanks in advance.
I'm one that's saying that his dad's connections will matter and he'll get a 2 way.

We can file this under "OttoinGrotto's fearless predictions." I ain't skerd.

Let me explain this very slowly. Just like AG. Neither Q or AG are getting drafted. I guess growing up they were dreaming of not getting drafted and toiling in the G league or playing overseas.

Attachments

• IMG_1681.GIF
    IMG_1681.GIF
    379 KB · Views: 87
I do feel bad for AG. Everyone will remember the end of the year where he completely disappeared.

But he had stretches in the middle of the season where he absolutely carried us. Buddy was struggling and no one else could score except AG. Someone said it earlier in here - but we don’t make the tournament without AG. He kept the offense afloat when Buddy was finding his legs again. Unfortunately it seemed like when Buddy was back to normal, AG never really found his role again.

I think leaving going from his role at Illinois to his role here was a big transition. Plus a new defense, and not much of an off-season, the Covid stops, etc. I love Eli, but I do think if he had the “Eli route” He would have been super successful here. If he sat for a year but practiced. Worked on his handle, learned the zone, etc.

I’m as guilty as anyone of being frustrated by him. But he did a lot for us and always appeared to be a great teammate. Even when JB benched him, he was standing cheering his teammates.

I think hell get a cup of coffee in thr league. Good shooter and good athlete. He needs to work on his handle because at 6’5” he needs to play 2G - but he clearly has a foundation to get to the NBA at some point

I do feel bad for AG. Everyone will remember the end of the year where he completely disappeared.

But he had stretches in the middle of the season where he absolutely carried us. Buddy was struggling and no one else could score except AG. Someone said it earlier in here - but we don’t make the tournament without AG. He kept the offense afloat when Buddy was finding his legs again. Unfortunately it seemed like when Buddy was back to normal, AG never really found his role again.

I think leaving going from his role at Illinois to his role here was a big transition. Plus a new defense, and not much of an off-season, the Covid stops, etc. I love Eli, but I do think if he had the “Eli route” He would have been super successful here. If he sat for a year but practiced. Worked on his handle, learned the zone, etc.

I’m as guilty as anyone of being frustrated by him. But he did a lot for us and always appeared to be a great teammate. Even when JB benched him, he was standing cheering his teammates.

I think hell get a cup of coffee in thr league. Good shooter and good athlete. He needs to work on his handle because at 6’5” he needs to play 2G - but he clearly has a foundation to get to the NBA at some point

I too feel bad for him and aren’t sure how things turned so fast. Until the last 4 games it could be argued he was our best player. He had his ups and downs during the season but he had some great games especially towards the end in the NCSt and Clemaongames we had to win before we got to UVa.

NCSt 12 pts, 8 rebs, 5 asts.
Clemson 22 pts 10 rebs
NCar not much and shot 1-10
GaTech loss 26 pts
Duke 11 pts 8 rebs

Even with the poor finish he still ended up as our 3rd leading scorer, 2nd leading rebounder and leading shot blocker. For the advanced stats folks he still ended up as our leader in both PER and BPM.

And kudos to him during those last 4 games games for being a great teammate during those games. He always had a huge smile on his face, was always cheering with fists raised and congratulated guys when they came off the court. Like I said previously, I don’t think the nba is in the cards right now, but he can definitely play in the g league or overseas. Getting an agent isn’t just an NBA or bust decision.

This seals the jimmy buckets deal. He was just waiting this one out. Probably orchestrated the order of announcements

You really think Boeheim told him there's no place for him?!

What I actually think Boeheim told him is that he's being Wally Pipped, a la Paul Harris / Wes Johnson.

Solid post. No doubt, his position is at the 2G spot. In my opinion, a significant contributing factor to AG's struggles was due to him playing out of position. Buddy pigeonholed at the same position and getting all those minutes there was a detriment to AG's growth and production, which also likely played a role as well mentally relative to focus, etc.

Last edited:
Solid post. No doubt, his position is at the 2G spot. In my opinion, a significant contributing factor to AG's struggles was due to him playing out of position. Buddy pigeonholed at the same position and getting all those minutes there was a detriment to AG's growth and production, which also likely played a role as well mentally relative to focus, etc.

I think his best position for us was SF because of his rebounding and shot blocking ability.

I think his best position for us was SF because of his rebounding and shot blocking ability.

I agree...for us. That being said, at 6'5" his professional future is at the 2G position and he knows that. He wasn't going to get a wink at that spot next year with JB at the helm and Buddy getting the vast majority of the minutes there. Therefore, IMO, him moving on is certainly in his best interests.

I agree...for us. That being said, at 6'5" his professional future is at the 2G position and he knows that. He wasn't going to get a wink at that spot next year with JB at the helm and Buddy getting the vast majority of the minutes there. Therefore, IMO, him moving on is certainly in his best interests.

offensively, our 2 and 3 are basically the same. The difference is defense with the zone.

I would have to do some research I didn't watch their teams that much. Other than when we played Duke.
So...if you admittedly don't even know their teams that well...how can you make that statement. It makes anything you say invalid...not that there was ever any validity to begin with.

Griff has a chance. Athletic, can shoot from any level, blocks shots for a guard/forward. His defense will likely be better suited to NBA.
I wish him well and really hoped that his year here could have been more fulfilling. Good luck.
By "defense" do you mean "non-defense?" Like the "defense" in the NBA All-Star game type of defense?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom