Griffin gives me flashbacks to... | Syracusefan.com

Griffin gives me flashbacks to...

djcon57

Living Legend
Damone Brown. not style of play or anything but just the massive ups and downs game to game. But there’s times like you watch and go...is this guy an NBA 1st round pick? Then you watch the next game and you wonder why he’s a d1 player.

i hope the consistency stays around for a couple games.

Damone Brown. not style of play or anything but just the massive ups and downs game to game. But there’s times like you watch and go...is this guy an NBA 1st round pick? Then you watch the next game and you wonder why he’s a d1 player.

i hope the consistency stays around for a couple games.

Completely agree. Those blocks against 6-7 and 6-9 just wow.

Dave Johnson WAS a 1 round pick.

Yes. But if you recall, he was up & down and quite inconsistent as a Frosh & Soph. Really picked it up in his upperclassman years. Griffin is a sophomore, so with his excellent athleticism, and already descent outside shot, if he improves his handle, I think there’s potential there for being drafted...even late 1st round IMO.

JB needs to pretend we have a game a few days before the next one and sit Griffin for most of it. This is twice now that Griffin has come back with a monster game after sitting the bench for an extended period of time the game before. I don't think it will be long before Griff ramps himself up and is a lot more consistent.

David Johnson-esque.
That's a really good comp. As a sophomore, even though he was up and down, Johnson wasn't called on to do as much as Griffin is now because that team was loaded with DC, Billy, Stevie and even LeRon Ellis. Too bad he wasn't a point guard...

I think their games are similar. Neither has a great handle. Both are explosive athletes, though DJ was bigger than AG. AG might be a touch quicker.

DJ's shot over Mourning to win the '92 Big East Tourney is one of the great underrated plays in Syracuse history (wow is it really 29 years ago????). And he hit those 2 clutch FTs as a sophomore to beat a loaded Duke team in the ACC/Big East Challenge in Greensboro off a sweet pass from Owens (that was the Duke team that got to the NCAA final only to be destroyed by UNLV). Of course we were #1 in the country at the time.

Johnson averaged 19.4/6.3 as a junior, and 19.8/7.0 as a senior. All in all, I think he may be the most underrated SU player of the past 30 years. It's a shame he flamed out in the NBA.

In some ways AG is ahead of where DJ was as a soph where he averaged 6.5/2.4 in 18 minutes as on that loaded team. I was surprised to see that AG is averaging 15.8/6.9 already. Steady improvement (especially his handle), letting the game come to him, and becoming more consistent - if he can do that, we are in really great shape moving forward. Hopefully he stays for his junior year - he'd be crazy to leave, but we've seen it before.

IMO When he is attacking the glass like he did today we are a top 25 type team. Great game for him.

ftr, I still worry he’s too small to rebound against a bigger team. I hope Im wrong and he shuts down my concerns with the hustle and fight he showed today

ftr, I still worry he’s too small to rebound against a bigger team. I hope Im wrong and he shuts down my concerns with the hustle and fight he showed today
I agree the bigger teams will make it much harder for him to get rebounds I would really like to see him get about 15 - 20 mpg at the 2G spot with KR. at the PG and go with a bigger front line.

He reminds me of a bigger scoop. Can score like crazy, has swagger, but can also drive you insane at times.

Love me some Damone:

That team was awesome defensively 2 of the top defenders to ever play at SU. Etan and Jason Hart and Damone had multiple double double games , God I wish we had a center like Etan on this year's team.

8 rebounds/gm from the SF spot and you’re worried about his rebounding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom