Hail mary pass defense... | Syracusefan.com

Hail mary pass defense...

Hopefully we have big leads next year and Hail Marys won't matter.

:)

Um. We need to work on it a bit.

They need to work on their end of half/game defense. Part of it the last two games were the missing pieces on the backend but to almost give up another TD after the BC game against two of the worst passing offenses, yikes.

They love the blitz, but time and place.

I was looking at the replay of the final pass, and couldn't tell if it just happened to get tipped out of bounds, or an SU player intentionally deflected it that way.

Something to bear in mind is that in the last 2 deep balls, the the DBs need to avoid a pass interference penalty at all costs. In college ball it is a spot foul and would have given Minny the ball on the 3 yard line.

Last edited:
That was a great fourth quarter to watch. Lead changes, penalties, a big punt return, 2 pt conversions and the losing team almost became the winning team. I thought when we went up 14-3 it was over but Minny gave it a good run and had the momentum in their favor. Props to Shafer and the players for wanting it just a little bit more.

The second to last pass went right through the receivers hands. For some reason they overloaded right and we never corrected.

The second to last pass went right through the receivers hands. For some reason they overloaded right and we never corrected.
We blitzed our coverage!

I couldn't understand why were blitzing those last two passes and I wouldve sworn the outside blitzer was a DB.

Watch the replay to many within 10 yards of the line and nobody as a centerfielder deep. Not good needs some work for sure

I couldn't understand why were blitzing those last two passes and I wouldve sworn the outside blitzer was a DB.
Maybe the reasoning was to force the QB to unload the ball before the WRs were able to run the deep routes the situation necessitated.

you are right the DB at the bottom of the screen (I couldn't see who it was) blitzed but he was so far away from the center that even if the plan was to get to the QB before the WR's ran deep, there was no way to get there in time. Bad play call.
Let me add: bad play by the whole secondary the whole game. I know they have some injuries but the touchdowns and the hailmary at the end were the results of bad calls/blown assinments. This should not happen with a month to prepare. The seconday has been a question mark the whole year and in my opinion its not from the lack of talent. I think DB coach Reed should go. Question is does HCSS pull the trigger and let Reed go.

Yeah, SU blitzed #28 on the final two plays. In my opinion this increased Minny's odds of success on both balls. If Minny had scored this board would be cratering and spewing molten lava.

Minny's second TD seemed very similar to the Northwestern game.

Losing #3 was a big loss in this game especially after Minny committed to the QB with an arm. Did I miss something, was #2 injured as well? I expected to see a lot of him.

Went theough the dbs hands and the wrs hands.

JoeSU said:
Something to bear in mind is that in the last 2 deep balls, the the DBs need to avoid a pass interference penalty at all costs. In college ball it is a spot foul and would have given Minny the ball on the 3 yard line.
NFL is a spot foul. College is only a 15 yard penalty. A penalty still would have hurt, though.

Fjoinkay said:
Yeah, SU blitzed #28 on the final two plays.
This is actually why I wasn't all that upset about us blitzing. What was Wilkes going to do back in coverage? We know he's not going to be anywhere near a receiver so we might as well let him rush the QB.

This is actually why I wasn't all that upset about us blitzing. What was Wilkes going to do back in coverage? We know he's not going to be anywhere near a receiver so we might as well let him rush the QB.

LOL. Yeah my question was "why is Wilkes on the field right now?". I know we're thin in the secondary but throw a WR out there at that point. At least Jarrod West would be 6'2 and can track the ball in the air.

Problem was our pass defense period. Reddish got beat a bunch of times with receivers getting behind him and balls being overthrown. I thought blitzing was the correct strategy because it kept the quarterback from sitting in the pocket and picking out who to go to.

Rush 3, drop 8. Fixed.

Except that we had three sacks in the final three minutes using blitzes. I hate the three man rush. Might as well not rush anyone at all.

David Cobb rush for 15 yards to the Minn 42 for a 1ST down.1417
1st and 10 at MINN 42MINNESOTA penalty 15 yard Personal Foul accepted.
1st and 10 at MINN 27David Cobb rush for 4 yards to the Minn 31.
2nd and 6 at MINN 31David Cobb rush for 1 yard to the Minn 32.
3rd and 5 at MINN 32Timeout SYRACUSE, clock 02:08.
3rd and 5 at MINN 32Mitch Leidner sacked by Robert Welsh for a loss of 5 yards to the Minn 27.
4th and 10 at MINN 27Timeout SYRACUSE, clock 02:03.
4th and 10 at MINN 27Peter Mortell punt for 57 yards, returned by Brisly Estime for 70 yards to the Minn 14.
DRIVE TOTALS: MINNESOTA drive: 4 plays 0 yards, 01:47 MINNESOTA PUNT
Prince-Tyson Gulley rush for 7 yards to the Minn 7.1417
2nd and 3 at MINN 7Prince-Tyson Gulley rush for no gain to the Minn 7.
3rd and 3 at MINN 7Timeout MINNESOTA, clock 1:20.
3rd and 3 at MINN 7SYRACUSE penalty 5 yard False Start accepted.
3rd and 8 at MINN 12Terrel Hunt rush for 12 yards for a TOUCHDOWN.2017
Ryan Norton extra point GOOD.2117
Riley Dixon kickoff for 35 yards fair catch by Team at the Minn 30.
DRIVE TOTALS: SYRACUSE drive: 3 plays 14 yards, 00:30 SYRACUSE TD
Mitch Leidner sacked by Marquis Spruill for a loss of 10 yards to the Minn 20.2117
2nd and 20 at MINN 20Mitch Leidner pass incomplete to Donovahn Jones.
3rd and 20 at MINN 20Mitch Leidner pass complete to Drew Wolitarsky for 14 yards to the Minn 34.
4th and 6 at MINN 34Mitch Leidner pass complete to Maxx Williams for 16 yards to the 50 yard line for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at MINN 50Timeout MINNESOTA, clock 0:29.
1st and 10 at MINN 50Mitch Leidner sacked by Cameron Lynch for a loss of 7 yards to the Minn 43.
2nd and 17 at MINN 43Timeout MINNESOTA, clock 00:24.
2nd and 17 at MINN 43Mitch Leidner pass incomplete.
3rd and 17 at MINN 43Mitch Leidner pass complete to Maxx Williams for 18 yards to the Syrac 39 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at SYR 39Team pass incomplete.
2nd and 10 at SYR 39Mitch Leidner pass incomplete.
3rd and 10 at SYR 39Mitch Leidner pass incomplete.
End of 4th Quarter

Agreed. And I didn't see anyone mention it here, but we could have easily been called for pass interference on the first Hail Mary that was basically one-on-one coverage at the goal line. Our guy made a nice play, but he did make contact on the receiver's shoulder before the ball got there. It would have been a tough call, but it could have been called.

I hope we face a lot of Hail Marys next eyar because it means we are ahead at the end of games.

They don't complete TD passes, they play 4 easy OCC games, and love their 8 wins and lose Bowl Games. How ever I am dry glad coach Kill was not on the field all game.

Ok, how about, rush 4, drop 7?

We sent 6 on the first HM. 5 wides, 5 DBs to cover them. If you don't get to the QB... Why take the risk? I'll trust 7 of my guys to guard 5.

Plus you let the QB roll out or whatever and kill more time. I don't like the blitz then no matter how effective it was prior. It's an end of game heave. We nearly got burned.

Maybe the reasoning was to force the QB to unload the ball before the WRs were able to run the deep routes the situation necessitated.
Well obviously that would be the reasoning, but it clearly didn't work...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom