Halfway Home - Is 20 Wins in the Cards? | Syracusefan.com

Halfway Home - Is 20 Wins in the Cards?

BrookhavenCuse

Walk On
Predicated on none of the current top five or six guys missing any significant time the rest of the way, this team has a chance to reach 20 wins.

At least 16 games remaining, 15 regular season and minimum one ACC tournament game. We all know the ACC is not the strongest league thus the chance to finish the second half of the season with a similar record as the first half.

Even with 20+ wins and a few more in the ACC tournament, the team is on the outside looking in for the NCAA tournament.

vs VT = L (10-7)
vs ND = W (11-7)
@ The U = W (12-7)
@ GT = W (13-7)
vs NC = L (13-8)
@ VT = W (14-8)
vs VA = L (14-9)
@ BC = W (15-9)
@ FSU = W (16-9)
vs NCST = W (17-9)
vs Duke = L (17-10)
@ CLEM = W (18-10)
@ Pitt = W (19-10)
vs GT = W (20-10)
vs WF = W (21-10)
ACCT ????????

I am sure there are a lot of detractors on getting to 20 wins or more but if this team can protect the ball, shoot well, make free throws, and commit to improving defense then it’s possible they pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Last edited:
Predicated on none of the current top five or six guys missing any significant time the rest of the way, this team has a chance to reach 20 wins.

At least 16 games remaining, 15 regular season and minimum one ACC tournament game. We all know the ACC is not the strongest league thus the chance to finish the second half of the season with a similar record as the first half.

Even with 20+ wins and a few more in the ACC tournament, the team is on the outside looking in for the NCAA tournament.

vs VT = L (10-7)
vs ND = W (11-7)
@ The U = W (12-7)
@ GT = W (13-7)
vs NC = L (13-8)
@ VT = W (14-8)
vs VA = L (14-9)
@BC = W (15-9)
@ FSU = W (16-9)
vs NCST = W (17-9)
vs Duke = L (17-10)
@ CLEM = W (18-10)
@ Pitt = W (19-10)
vs GT = W (20-10)
vs WF = W (21-10)
ACC ????????

I am sure there are a lot of detractors on getting to 20 wins or more but if this team can protect the ball, shoot well, make free throws, and commit to improving defense then it’s possible they pull a rabbit out of the hat.
I think 20 wins can happen if things all of a sudden “click”, it’s easy to lose faith but there is something here. We need to play a complete game. It’s just very hard to rely on freshman to be consistent but that’s what we’re going to need to achieve it, even if it’s just one guy. I think Taylor may be that guy if it does happen.

Yeah, we’ve shown nothing on the road to suggest we can win any of them definitively. 7-0 on the road seems impossible
Yep, optimistic this team can win the remaining road games. They aren’t going to be playing the likes of Arizona, Purdue, Kansas, etc.

Lol. Look at the ranking of the best team we've beaten this year, pick any index, doesn't matter. We have beaten no one. This team is not good. Thats the reality unfortunately. 20 wins is not happening. This program needs a change and its pretty obvious, anyone who does not see that at this point is blind or just doesn't understand college basketball in 2023

You have this team going 11-4 to finish the regular season. I personally don’t see that happening and think 7 or 8 more regular season wins at most.

Lol. Look at the ranking of the best team we've beaten this year, pick any index, doesn't matter. We have beaten no one. This team is not good. Thats the reality unfortunately. 20 wins is not happening. This program needs a change and its pretty obvious, anyone who does not see that at this point is blind or just doesn't understand college basketball in 2023
But we’re fundraising that’s more important than fielding a winning team

You have this team going 11-4 to finish the regular season. I personally don’t see that happening and think 7 or 8 more regular season wins at most.
I think we have a better chance going 4-11 than 11-4. I want what this guy is drinking. There’s not a road game on the schedule that we will be close to being a favorite. Besides BC, all the ACC teams have shooters. The zone is no longer intimidating. Actually, I think most teams salivate playing against it. They have little to worry about.

I think we realistically go 9-6 the rest of the way. We could get 2 more wins if we upset 2 of the UNC/CLEM/PITT games. If we do, that would put us at 11-4 (a real stretch) and 14-6 in the ACC. Could get us to 21 wins before the tourney and with that record could put us in a nice seeding and we make ACC semis and go 2-1. However, my prediction is 9-6 rest of the way with a 1-1 in the ACC. At 20-12 we will be in the PostSeason. NIT most likely. I hope NCAA but I also think that there will be more 1 bid conferences this year than in the past. A lot of parity in the mid-majors.

vs VT = L (10-7)
vs ND = W (11-7)
@ The U = W (12-7)
@ GT = W (13-7)
vs NC = L (13-8)
@ VT = W (14-8)
vs VA = L (14-9)
@ BC = W (15-9)
@ FSU = W (16-9)
vs NCST = W (17-9)
vs Duke = L (17-10)
@ CLEM = W (18-10)
@ Pitt = W (19-10)
vs GT = W (20-10)
vs WF = W (21-10)
ACCT ????????

we'll be lucky to get to 16-15.

I think we have a better chance going 4-11 than 11-4. I want what this guy is drinking. There’s not a road game on the schedule that we will be close to being a favorite. Besides BC, all the ACC teams have shooters. The zone is no longer intimidating. Actually, I think most teams salivate playing against it. They have little to worry about.
Water

It’s just very hard to rely on freshman to be consistent but that’s what we’re going to need to achieve it, even if it’s just one guy.
At the end of the day, this is it in a nutshell.

We are very young; a whole bunch of freshmen and two sophs, all of whom get playing time to varying degrees. All have strengths and all have development areas. To top it off, all or almost all of them are varying degrees of inconsistent in their areas of strength. We have to hope that they will improve their weaker areas (and some of them are) and hope that the inconsistencies in their stronger areas don't occur for too many of them on the same night.

I've got 17-14 or 16-15.

This group is too inconsistent on the road and if the starters stay the same the Inability to defend the 3 will likely bite us at home as well.

What it would take to get to 20 wins would require both coaching and player improvements and not just tweaks. Don't see it. Happy to be wrong but...

6-9 finish my guess is we see someone tough in the ACCT first game so 6-10.

vs VT = L (10-7)
vs ND = W (11-7)
@ The U = W (12-7)
@ GT = W (13-7)
vs NC = L (13-8)
@ VT = W (14-8)
vs VA = L (14-9)
@ BC = W (15-9)
@ FSU = W (16-9)
vs NCST = W (17-9)
vs Duke = L (17-10)
@ CLEM = W (18-10)
@ Pitt = W (19-10)
vs GT = W (20-10)
vs WF = W (21-10)
ACCT ????????

Are we evaluating the same team??

Perhaps it depends on how many teams can move the ball enough to hit wide open 3's over an ineffective zone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom