Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

He doesn't have to be doing that to get more offers. He could just feel he's literally not ready for the physically and mental toughness of the college level and wants to get up to that. He also mentions that he was immature through the process and never really paid much attention to it so he needs more time. You don't have to be negative 24/7 nobody wants that go talk negative to yoruself if that's all you're gonna say. You don't know what the kid wants or feels.

Wow!
I'm a huge SU fan. Posting doubts about us landing a particular recruit doesn't negate my passion. I simply think it's possible that the kid might be waiting for a particular school to offer, and is working on his strength and conditioning to try to entice an offer. I don't call that negativity, I call that a distinct possibility.

I'm actually a very positive happy-go-lucky person. I posted an opinion, nothing more nothing less. You also posted an opinion, which is no more valid or invalid than mine. Can't people engage in discussion without casting judgement?

While I understand hameir being young for his age and still needs to grow and develop into his body etc..wouldn't a year under a program like cuse with a far superior coaching staff, facilities, training program etc be far better in the long run for someone like him vs doing a year of prep school for basically the same reason...makes me think he wants to obtain a "few" more good offers possibly...but that's just opinion so who really knows

Wasn't far better for BJ.

Wasn't far better for BJ.

Though with all due respect to him, BJ wasn't a state player of the year either (and, not for nothing, is still leaving college early).

Though with all due respect to him, BJ wasn't a state player of the year either (and, not for nothing, is still leaving college early).

In fairness BJ was 1st Team All State. Rondae Jefferson was the POY. BJ led his team to the state championship over Rondae's team. Who was the better HS player; well Rondae had better publicity and played for a traditional PA state powerhouse so that might have given him a bit of an edge.

Wow!
I'm a huge SU fan. Posting doubts about us landing a particular recruit doesn't negate my passion. I simply think it's possible that the kid might be waiting for a particular school to offer, and is working on his strength and conditioning to try to entice an offer. I don't call that negativity, I call that a distinct possibility.

I'm actually a very positive happy-go-lucky person. I posted an opinion, nothing more nothing less. You also posted an opinion, which is no more valid or invalid than mine. Can't people engage in discussion without casting judgement?
No no I totally get what you're saying but what you're ding is basically syaing that he doesn't want cuse and that we aren't good enough for him. At the end of the day we don't know what he wants but it doesn't automatically need to be that he doesn't want us. Go cuse!

No no I totally get what you're saying but what you're ding is basically syaing that he doesn't want cuse and that we aren't good enough for him. At the end of the day we don't know what he wants but it doesn't automatically need to be that he doesn't want us. Go cuse!

I NEVER said Syracuse wasn't good enough for him. Quite frankly, I think SU would make a great landing spot for Wright. What I said, is that HE may want something bigger. You make a lot of assumptions about what I mean. Anyhow, no worries. If he signs with us after getting an offer from UK or Duke, I'll gladly eat some crow. ✌

When you say opinion as fact, most of the time I'm talking about a situation that has been reported as a fact which has been detailed in various situations. Anybody that follows my post on this board and listen to my pods know that I talk about things that they can verify themselves. You don't need to be up in the B-Ball office to know these things. If a player like Lonnie Walker wasn't a priority when he puts us in his final 5 months before a decision date, then that proves things were really a mess behind the scenes. The Walker situation was quoted directly by him, not me. When Quade's HS coach said that GMac not JB did all that he could in that recruitment it came directly from the coach, not me. That's where others and myself were voicing their concerns about when we said that JB has to step it up on the trail. Nobody needs to take what I say for gospel or refer to me as the main source when the same type of info is already out there.

(Sorry the original quote directed at Francis wasn't added. Here it is) Here's my problem with it. It's an opinion presented as a fact. A) nobody knows who the coaches have talked to or not. I've seen coaches scout and talk to kids over the years and there's not a peep that gets reported. B) the coaches are targeting the kids on their board, not who the fans think they should be targeting.

Actually there are many ways of finding out who the coaches have talked to. And just because it doesn't get reported doesn't mean that there aren't multiple people who know that the conversation took place. Usually the prospect has recruiting people they trust, the high school coach has recruiting people they trust, the AAU coach has people they trust, and the college coaches have people they trust. Just because something isn't reported or published doesn't mean it's not public knowledge among those on the trail. It's very difficult to prevent people from finding out conversations take place. These kids are 15-18. Not exactly at an age where they are a vault. I can tell you about multiple conversations that weren't reported by the media between the Syracuse staff and past Canadian recruiting targets/current Canadian recruiting targets. In fact, you actually just proved this point when you said you've personally seen coaches scout and talk to kids and not a peep gets reported. You can claim a conversation took place as fact despite it not having been reported because you saw it with your own two eyes. Coaches often share with scouts/recruiting analysts where a kid is on their "board" (though most coaches don't keep a big board). ONE of the many data points coaches collect in order to put their targets together is the opinion of said scouts. Helps them to determine which other programs feel the same way, what other scouts think, and how their recruitment is trending. If everyone a scout talks to loves the kid, and the scouts say lots of other coaches feel the same way, they know it might be time to prioritize and change their approach. If they remain under recruited (based on how our staff feel about their future potential) they may also change their approach. I don't always agree with Francis opinion (and i don't agree that our effort on the trail is as bad as he makes it seem), but when he says something as fact, it's because it's a fact. It's very easy to find out which coaches have seen which kids and when. Or which coaches haven't been around. This isn't the NSA. Many leaks in the process.

I would be happy to land wright in 17 or 18 and like I said, I do feel like we have a legitimate chance...regardless of what I think and what anyone on this board thinks the kid and his family need to make whatever decision they feel is right for him and if that's a year of prep then by all means he should do that..I just want to see him in orange when it's all said and done just like all of you! I do think that kids decide to reclass for different reasons like maturing and working on there game and bodies etc but if u don't think part of the reason is to see other offers/interest from the dukes/uk/kansas/unc of the world then your crazy..I think all of these kids would like nothing more then to be wanted by the blue bloods...can't blame them for that

Forgive my ignorance: Just wondering what the dates are for the "dead" period in terms of contacting a high school basketball player? The reason I ask is that I watched JB today wait for a good 25-30 minutes after Albany Academy's win at the Glens Falls Civic Center, obviously waiting for Hameir Wright. (JB did, as the photo obviously shows, speak with Head Coach Brian Fruscio.) However, when Wright did finally make his way off the court after milling with all the well-wishers, autograph-seekers, et al, JB and Wright briefly made eye contact, and then Wright disappeared down the tunnel, heading for the locker room. That was it. No spoken words at all. At that point, JB left the building, apparently heading back to Syracuse. So did JB patiently wait there for a half-hour just to literally have "FaceTime" with Wright? Anyone know for sure?
Might be that issue that someone pointed out above with SU only allowed 2 recruiters on the road due to NCAA sanctions. Red and Gerry are out recruiting while JB is there watching his daughter's team and the contact with Wright was "incidental".

I have to say, kudos to Boeheim. I figured this would go one of two ways: either he was going to continue to be a lame duck on the recruiting trail and continue to exhibit lame behavior, or Hopkins departure was going to light a fire under his a$$. Looks like it is the latter.

Like what I've seen the past week. Need to keep it up.

Or the story is. This was going to be Hopkins team and Hopkins needed to be out there recruiting hard. Jimmy was only going to be there one more year so it made sense that Hop made his presence felt. Now that it is Jimmy in charge for another 4-5 years he's back taking charge. I suspect many will quickly see the difference and weight that the Hall of Fame coach brings to recruiting vs even a hot shot recruiter like Hop.

I don't think any fire under his a$$ was lit. Jimmy delegates and Hop was going to be the man. Now Jimmy is the man and its his way and his show

Cuse!

So either Wright is the polar opposite of all higly rated recruits of the past 8 years or there is something missing in the story here. I thought it was all about getting to the league as early as possible. A 21 year old is viewed as a used up and empty vessel by the NBA, right? So if he isn't ready, it just means spending another year in college. So he goes after is soph year instead of his freshman year. But by prepping, he eliminates all chance of blowing up and being able to go a year earlier.

The Donna article says: "The 6-foot-8 wing right now resides in the Class of 2017, but has indicated he wants to spend a year in prep school to build his body, hone his basketball skills and perhaps attract the attention of more college basketball programs."

But he has offers from the likes of Syracuse, Michigan State, Villanova, etc. So I immediately have to ask: who does UK already have at his position for 17? He is clearly wanting offers from schools he doesn't have them from yet. That would be UK and Duke. Which means he will not reclass and he will not come to SU unless those other two don't offer. This sounds extraordinarily Quade Green like. Will we blame Gerry again?

So pessimistic lately. Aren't you the same guy that guaranteed Battle would go to the NBA?

So pessimistic lately. Aren't you the same guy that guaranteed Battle would go to the NBA?

I don't think this person's post is pessimistic. He's simply pointing out that Wright may be trying to entice offers from other programs. Like it or not, that is a very realistic possibility.

There is a profound difference between optimism, realism and pessimism. An opinion that differs from yours is not necessarily pessimistic. Have you considered that perhaps you are being unrealistically optimistic?

I like to read opinions that differ from my own. Let's be nice to one another.

I don't think this person's post is pessimistic. He's simply pointing out that Wright may be trying to entice offers from other programs. Like it or not, that is a very realistic possibility.

There is a profound difference between optimism, realism and pessimism. An opinion that differs from yours is not necessarily pessimistic. Have you considered that perhaps you are being unrealistically optimistic?

I like to read opinions that differ from my own. Let's be nice to one another.

I was just being factual. He did all but guarantee Battle would leave. I'm not saying anything that's false.

JB and Gerry were the only coaches who checked out Wright this weekend I believe so that is good to me.

Maybe he is trying to entice other offers, but it's a lot better that JB is on the road now recruiting him, unlike Quade Green.

I was just being factual. He did all but guarantee Battle would leave. I'm not saying anything that's false.

JB and Gerry were the only coaches who checked out Wright this weekend I believe so that is good to me.

Maybe he is trying to entice other offers, but it's a lot better that JB is on the road now recruiting him, unlike Quade Green.
Stating that someone is pessimistic is an opinion, not fact.

0307 is right, I was pessimistic about Battle. I admit it. I am a little surprised he is not even testing the waters. But for Wright, I am more just trying to figure out why he would be taking this path. Everyone must admit it is very unorthodox for such a skilled player who is being recruited by Teir 1 schools. I'm jumping to conclusions for sure, but the sting of QG is probably partly the reason. I also worry that his plan could easily wind up with him at Duke or UK after a prep year and I don't think it would be fair to blame Gerry for that but he'll be yoked with the failure again.

But I accept the criticism that I have come across as pessimistic. I definitely try not to be that way.

I think Battle coming back is great for Syracuse and for him as a business decision. If he left now, he'd probably go maybe late in the 1st and be guaranteed about 2.5 - 3 million total over his first 2 years. If he goes in the top 10 next year he could get between 5 - 12 million over the first 2 years. Worth a shot, especially with what he showed he could do this year.

I think Battle coming back is great for Syracuse and for him as a business decision. If he left now, he'd probably go maybe late in the 1st and be guaranteed about 2.5 - 3 million total over his first 2 years. If he goes in the top 10 next year he could get between 5 - 12 million over the first 2 years. Worth a shot, especially with what he showed he could do this year.

Not sure it was a guarantee he even went in the first tbh.

0307 is right, I was pessimistic about Battle. I admit it. I am a little surprised he is not even testing the waters. But for Wright, I am more just trying to figure out why he would be taking this path. Everyone must admit it is very unorthodox for such a skilled player who is being recruited by Teir 1 schools. I'm jumping to conclusions for sure, but the sting of QG is probably partly the reason. I also worry that his plan could easily wind up with him at Duke or UK after a prep year and I don't think it would be fair to blame Gerry for that but he'll be yoked with the failure again.

Hard to gauge what a 17 year old thought process is, but the only thing that makes sense to me is he is gunning for "better" offers. If her really liked SU or Villanova, he could commit to one or the other, redshirt and be in a better place physically, academically, and with better skill training. Going the prep school route only seems to make sense if you need work on your transcript or on your visibility.

Hard to gauge what a 17 year old thought process is, but the only thing that makes sense to me is he is gunning for "better" offers. If her really liked SU or Villanova, he could commit to one or the other, redshirt and be in a better place physically, academically, and with better skill training. Going the prep school route only seems to make sense if you need work on your transcript or on your visibility.
Or if he wants to take his time to make sure he is making the right choice of colleges. He is 17 years old. I don't think he is fishing for more offers, he is simply wanting to take the time he needs for the decision.

Or if he wants to take his time to make sure he is making the right choice of colleges. He is 17 years old. I don't think he is fishing for more offers, he is simply wanting to take the time he needs for the decision.

That could be true, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. Hameir would be a Top 50 guy if he was in the 2017 class. How many Top 50 recruits go to prep school because they want more time to make sure they pick the right college? I can't think of any. But there are lots that want to get an offer from a higher level school.

That could be true, but it just doesn't make any sense to me. Hameir would be a Top 50 guy if he was in the 2017 class. How many Top 50 recruits go to prep school because they want more time to make sure they pick the right college? I can't think of any. But there are lots that want to get an offer from a higher level school.
So even when the recruit spells out why he's going to prep next season, "it doesn't make sense to you".

That's ridiculous. Everyone has reasons, regardless if you believe them or not. I don't understand how you can make up stuff like this when the recruit clearly states why he's going to prep. Let people live their life.

You may be right, but each kid is an individual. The consistent message, that I have noticed, has been wanting to take his time to make the right decision.