Class of 2017 - Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 Hameir Wright (NY) to Washington

So even when the recruit spells out why he's going to prep next season, "it doesn't make sense to you".

That's ridiculous. Everyone has reasons, regardless if you believe them or not. I don't understand how you can make up stuff like this when the recruit clearly states why he's going to prep. Let people live their life.

Recruits say what they think will help their recruiting position as well. I take any statement to the media by anybody with a grain of salt. He doesn't want to piss off the schools currently recruiting him because that Duke or UNC offer may never come. It doesn't make him a bad person. Its what you do when you negotiate.

Also - I feel you are overreacting. I'm not making things up, only sharing my opinion. I'm sorry that you feel the need to respond so negatively. I respect your opinion, but I don't appreciate the way you deliver it. And you seem to do it alot. Have a beer and we can chat some more.

I remember certain posters were real confident we were getting Briscoe. We all know how that turned out . Point is you never know how these things are going to turn out , and especially these days people tend to be a little negative when it comes to the potential recruiting results . Do we blame them ?

Last edited:
Hard to gauge what a 17 year old thought process is, but the only thing that makes sense to me is he is gunning for "better" offers. If her really liked SU or Villanova, he could commit to one or the other, redshirt and be in a better place physically, academically, and with better skill training. Going the prep school route only seems to make sense if you need work on your transcript or on your visibility.

This doesn't make sense. Redshirting starts your 5 year clock and you only have 5 years to play 4, so you can't ever transfer without losing a year of eligibility if you do that. Then, there's the thing about coaches changing jobs and another recruiting class being brought in while you're not playing.

This doesn't make sense. Redshirting starts your 5 year clock and you only have 5 years to play 4, so you can't ever transfer without losing a year of eligibility if you do that. Then, there's the thing about coaches changing jobs and another recruiting class being brought in while you're not playing.

Not to mention that when you redshirt you practice, but don't get to play in any games. If you prep you play in games. Maybe the kid thinks he needs another year of development, but spending a year practicing without playing doesn't sound appealing to him.

Forgive my ignorance: Just wondering what the dates are for the "dead" period in terms of contacting a high school basketball player? The reason I ask is that I watched JB today wait for a good 25-30 minutes after Albany Academy's win at the Glens Falls Civic Center, obviously waiting for Hameir Wright. (JB did, as the photo obviously shows, speak with Head Coach Brian Fruscio.) However, when Wright did finally make his way off the court after milling with all the well-wishers, autograph-seekers, et al, JB and Wright briefly made eye contact, and then Wright disappeared down the tunnel, heading for the locker room. That was it. No spoken words at all. At that point, JB left the building, apparently heading back to Syracuse. So did JB patiently wait there for a half-hour just to literally have "FaceTime" with Wright? Anyone know for sure?
OK, forgive me for replying to my own thread, but I never got a response to my question regarding the "dead period" for high school basketball. So I asked a high school head coach whom I respect, and he told me the dead period is March 30-April 6. When Hameir Wright and JB did not speak to one another after Albany Academy's Federation title game, it happened on Sunday, March 26. So if the high school coach is correct, why didn't Wright and JB even talk? As I said, JB had waited for 25-30 minutes for Wright, but when Wright saw him, he just looked at him and then headed to the locker room. Does what transpired mean something, or is it just a moment that should not be blown out of proportion? Thoughts? (I can see both sides on this one.)

OK, forgive me for replying to my own thread, but I never got a response to my question regarding the "dead period" for high school basketball. So I asked a high school head coach whom I respect, and he told me the dead period is March 30-April 6. When Hameir Wright and JB did not speak to one another after Albany Academy's Federation title game, it happened on Sunday, March 26. So if the high school coach is correct, why didn't Wright and JB even talk? As I said, JB had waited for 25-30 minutes for Wright, but when Wright saw him, he just looked at him and then headed to the locker room. Does what transpired mean something, or is it just a moment that should not be blown out of proportion? Thoughts? (I can see both sides on this one.)
It is a dead period.

Base on ncaa.org, the dead period is March 30-April6. When JB was at the game it was during the recruiting period.

Yea coaches have been flying all over the country visiting kids the last couple weeks so he's definitely allowed to talk to recruits.

Probably a situation where the kid wanted to get to the locker room with his team and I'm sure JB gets that. He likely stuck around just to be seen by the kid. As long as you are sure HW knew JB was there, it was probably mission accomplished.

Probably a situation where the kid wanted to get to the locker room with his team and I'm sure JB gets that. He likely stuck around just to be seen by the kid. As long as you are sure HW knew JB was there, it was probably mission accomplished.
Thanks! I like how you think!

I agree with this sentiment. But I'll also throw in there that teenagers are funny animals ...... some of these guys have very outgoing personalities and exude confidence, others arebashful and uncertain of themselves. It might be as simple as the kid wasn't confident enough to approach JB in that situation and instead headed to the locker room??

Got to love the Roberts tweet with Billy Owens. I think Wright is going to continue to improve and be recruited by a lot of programs. We could still get him but it's going to be a battle.

10 pts 8 rebs this morning

Not to mention that when you redshirt you practice, but don't get to play in any games. If you prep you play in games. Maybe the kid thinks he needs another year of development, but spending a year practicing without playing doesn't sound appealing to him.

I would imagine his practice with Cuse players would be a level above prep competition

Craziness...wonder why he's thinking this all of a sudden? A lot of people on here thought we were favored heavily on here and that reclassing for him was only about him working on his game/body for another year while others said he simply must be holding out for other offers that he wanted. Not saying that is what is happening here but I wonder if the ku or msu push have anything to do with it or if they are even recruiting him for 17? Or is it still us that's pushing him the hardest for 17? Been pretty quiet on hameir since jb last went and seen him play and just recently the news of the msu offer...wonder what's changed for him to be thinking of going 17 again.