Hand slapping | Syracusefan.com

Hand slapping

Toga

Living Legend
It's out of control. I guess it all started with basketball low fives and an occasional low five or high five was cool after a particularly good play, but look where we are today. Even in basketball we have grown men needing to touch the shooter at the free throw line, regardless of whether the dude made the shot or not. Hey, everyone gets a trophy! Really? You have to rear slap or fist bump your teammate who can't hit a foul shot?

Some sports have taken to levels of absurdity. May I present women's softball. It's a freaking love fest after every mundane play. Women's Olympic volleyball. My goodness. Good or bad plays will elicit not only hand slaps but outright hugs. Now normally I would not be opposed to that - but context people - context!

It's out of control. Just play the game.

raw

Or the gymnast that gets a hug after a routine ... From literally every person on the team and coach. I'm not much of a hugger so I always thought it was over the top.

If anyone watches Big Brother, the way everyone hugs after every competition and every eviction, makes wanna puke.

It's out of control. I guess it all started with basketball low fives and an occasional low five or high five was cool after a particularly good play, but look where we are today. Even in basketball we have grown men needing to touch the shooter at the free throw line, regardless of whether the dude made the shot or not. Hey, everyone gets a trophy! Really? You have to rear slap or fist bump your teammate who can't hit a foul shot?

Some sports have taken to levels of absurdity. May I present women's softball. It's a freaking love fest after every mundane play. Women's Olympic volleyball. My goodness. Good or bad plays will elicit not only hand slaps but outright hugs. Now normally I would not be opposed to that - but context people - context!

It's out of control. Just play the game.
If I played the game, I would tell my teammates NOT to slap my hand or congratulate me after I missed a FT. That's the time it bugs me the most.

Said the same thing after watching women's volleyball last night. The last thing I would do after hitting the serve into the net is bounce around high-fiving my teammates.