Handmaid's Tale | Syracusefan.com

Handmaid's Tale

NKR1978

Living Legend
Binged the three available episodes last night, and I'm actually grateful that Hulu doesn't drop the whole series at once or I would not have slept last night. This was incredibly good.

Binged the three available episodes last night, and I'm actually grateful that Hulu doesn't drop the whole series at once or I would not have slept last night. This was incredibly good.

My thoughts exactly. The series makes the book come alive and its riveting

How is the transition in society handled? I didn't find the scenario described by the book to be believable.

How is the transition in society handled? I didn't find the scenario described by the book to be believable.

They hint at it and show flashbacks to slow changes. Seems to come down to staged terrorist activity to enact some laws that escalated to denying women the right to control money or property and work. Then violence started.

They hint at it and show flashbacks to slow changes. Seems to come down to staged terrorist activity to enact some laws that escalated to denying women the right to control money or property and work. Then violence started.
Interesting, that makes more sense. In the book it felt like it happens pretty suddenly that out of nowhere women don't have rights and the men in society are just cool going along with it it, and then this quasi-religious government pops up, also out of nowhere.

Interesting, that makes more sense. In the book it felt like it happens pretty suddenly that out of nowhere women don't have rights and the men in society are just cool going along with it it, and then this quasi-religious government pops up, also out of nowhere.

They had a flashback of protests against the laws and then the police opening fire and mowing down the protestors.

not just men . rich white men. the fertile women serve the wealthy class.
how could the rich grab all this power in a democracy ? hmmmm...

Saw the first three episodes and got hooked. Also, it's completely terrifying especially because of the political climate we are living in now. Also, are we meant to believe that Alaska and Hawaii weren't taken over due to being isolated from the rest of the country?

Surprised this got buried. Very interesting series once it extended past the book. Disturbing all the same.

Man in the High Castle is pretty good too. Just finished it this weekend.

Man in the High Castle is pretty good too. Just finished it this weekend.

Yep. The last episode or 2 rushed through a whole lot of events, but they probably knew they'd struggle with that without a 5th season renewal.

Yep. The last episode or 2 rushed through a whole lot of events, but they probably knew they'd struggle with that without a 5th season renewal.

Agreed. I wish they were able to develop the BCR characters a bit more. That left me wanting more.

I was really bummed they left it at season 4. They did a great job overall. I know it left a happy ending vibe but the final removal of Nazi materials from the uniform is powerful.

Surprised this got buried. Very interesting series once it extended past the book. Disturbing all the same.

I wonder if the show (or a new version) will take up Atwood's sequel novel, which features 3 main storylines, including Aunt Lydia's story.

Also been watching Amazon's Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I like how they create a full world, without trying to link it with too many concurrent news stories and celebrities from that time (tho they do that a little).

I wonder if the show (or a new version) will take up Atwood's sequel novel, which features 3 main storylines, including Aunt Lydia's story.

Yeah very curious on that as well. Have you checked out the documentary on Netflix - " The Family"? Ironically I came across it right after binging the HT.

Yeah very curious on that as well. Have you checked out the documentary on Netflix - " The Family"? Ironically I came across it right after binging the HT.

Didn't know about that. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom