Happy Birthday to Us! | Syracusefan.com

Happy Birthday to Us!

cto

Administrator
Happy Birthday to us! It’s hard to believe, but syracusefan.com is 20 years old today. We’ve been together through the National Championship run, the Bernie Fine fiasco, probation, the Mike Hopkins saga, four athletic directors, five football coaches … and one basketball coach. People who joined us as students … have long since graduated, got married and became parents.

We’ve seen some wonderful (and not so wonderful) posters come and go (Raoul Duke, Viva Peru and Beth come to mind on the “wonderful” side). And some posters have sadly left us on a permanent basis (e.g., Orangeyes, Boca Doug and CaliCuse).

Sincere thanks to all the dedicated admins and mods who keep these forums running on a reasonably sane basis (it’s harder than you realize) …. And thanks, especially, to all the posters who keep making this place interesting and informative

Last edited:
I don’t go on Facebook. I go on syracusefan.com. And I am better off for it. Thank you, CTO and admins, for providing a place where I can rejoice with utter abandon, despair with utter hopelessness, and write songs and poetry as an offering to the Syracuse gods. I have made friends, always a precious commodity.

GO SYRACUSEFAN.COM!

Happy Birthday to us! It’s hard to believe, but syracusefan.com is 20 years old today. We’ve been together through the National Championship run, the Bernie Fine fiasco, probation, the Mike Hopkins saga, four athletic directors, five football coaches … and one basketball coach. People who joined us as students … have long since got married and became parents.

We’ve seen some wonderful (and not so wonderful) posters come and go (Raoul Duke, Viva Peru and Beth come to mind on the “wonderful” side). And some posters have left us on a sadly permanent basis (such as Boca Doug and CaliCuse).

Sincere thanks to all the dedicated admins and mods who keep these forums running on a reasonably sane basis (it’s harder than you realize) …. And thanks, especially, to all the posters who keep making this place interesting and informative
Nice note.
Hard to believe we have been doing this for 20 years.

Thanks Joyce, and Tom and Fishy, the admins/mods and all the people who frequent the board, friend and foe, active poster and lurker alike.

I like to think this is the best sports message board on the Interwebs. It is all of you who make that possible.

Happy Birthday to us! It’s hard to believe, but syracusefan.com is 20 years old today. We’ve been together through the National Championship run, the Bernie Fine fiasco, probation, the Mike Hopkins saga, four athletic directors, five football coaches … and one basketball coach. People who joined us as students … have long since got married and became parents.

We’ve seen some wonderful (and not so wonderful) posters come and go (Raoul Duke, Viva Peru and Beth come to mind on the “wonderful” side). And some posters have left us on a sadly permanent basis (such as Orangeyes, Boca Doug and CaliCuse).

:)

Wow! 20 years ago already! Ah yes I remember it well. We were all sitting at the Sheraton drinking Seagrams Ginger Ale, TomCat’s favorite, being all underaged teenagers back then. :p

Thank you Joyce. Most of us only knew each other by screen names. It’s amazing, all the wonderful friendships that have developed over these past 20 years - through good and tough times for SU teams, even our own lives, celebrating births, mourning deaths, new jobs, job losses, divorces, marriages etc, Syracusefan.com has been there for us. Even the development and evolution of the Fine Mess tailgate all came eventually from Syracusefan.com and that initial meeting 20 years ago Joyce set up with some crazy SU fans who loved talking SU sports.

Here’s to the next 20 years and hopefully more success not only for our SU teams but for the special individuals on this board who shamelessly cheer and care about them through thick and thin!

Great forum. Joined when I was 17 and a freshman at SU in 08. Spend tons of time here. My friends have a running joke about "the forums" because I spend so much time browsing, posting, etc. Often during games. They don't understand it and never will. It's about being involved with tons of other people passionate about my #1 passion. Best place to discuss 'cuse sports and also get information.

Thank you to all of the admins and those who make this such an awesome site. What a weird and wild journey it’s been going back to the AOL board and Syracuse.com to rivals and scout boards and now this board. After we won on 4/7/03 I remember how excited I was to go onto Syracusefan to read the posts and share in the pure joy and celebration with all of the other fellow Cuse fans and posters. Here’s to many more years (and wins).

As SUTOMCAT said, "Thanks Joyce, and Tom and Fishy, the admins/mods and all the people who frequent the board, friend and foe, active poster and lurker alike."

I think I have only been a mainly lurker and occasional poster for 19 years. It seems like I only found this site yesterday. It has been a great ride.

"ERIC GET OFF THE INTERNET I'M TRYING TO MAKE A CALL!" -My Mom, while I was reading about our upcoming Kickoff Classic game against Wisconsin and looking at pictures of Carmen Electra

Oh yeah I remember that and being on the AOL plan where you only got so many hours each month so you had to rush to read everything.

Not kidding, this board literally changed my life. I was a die hard fan in my living room. I didn't make the effort to travel down to games, even from up 81 at Fort Drum. Would just watch in bars with buddies. Heck, I hardly traveled anywhere at all.

Now, after finding this place.. I spend pretty much all my monies traveling to Cuse games from Alaska, meeting up with old friends from here and always meeting new friends. You've made me feel like a celebrity on more than one occasion, just for being a drunk guy who sat on a plan for a day or so.

I was walking through the Vietnam Memorial in DC the day after the Gtown game. Wearing Orange of course. We passed another group wearing Orange, and do the whole "Go Cuse, Go Orange" thing. As we got a few feet past eachother, I swear I heard one of them call out "Cusetroop". I was hungover, and didn't want to be rude in the memorial but tossed a wink and a thumbs up I think. Forgot to ask here who that was.

Thanks for everything, folks. It's been a wild ride and I can't wait for the next adventure!

Here’s to the next 20 years and hopefully more success not only for our SU teams but for the special individuals on this board who shamelessly cheer and care about them through thick and thin!

Could definitely do without some of the "special" individuals on this board...

Guess I should go yell at those kids to get off my lawn because I really feel like an old man now! I go back to the old Prodigy dial-up days too and the aol, scout, rivals, and syracuse.com(?) iterations before we found a home here. 20 years ago today I was here in the Southern Tier with 2 high school age kids managing the shut down of the only company I had ever worked for and wondering what I would do next. I spent a lot of time (probably too much) immersing myself in this community as a welcome distraction and watched it grow from a small group of migrants to an entity with the population of a small city. I've always bled orange but my fandom - fired by this forum - has grown exponentially over the last 20 years, bordering on an obsession. I've had the opportunity through syracusefan.com to meet some extraordinary people and forge friendships that I value tremendously. Thanks, one and all for the ride and looking forward to the next chapters!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom