Hard not to respect Etan | Syracusefan.com

Hard not to respect Etan

Not everyone in SLC is like this. But too many are. I hope the Jazz do everything in their power to stop this crap. Thank you Etan for your perspective.

It's interesting to hear this. A lot of the commentary has been that this isn't unique to Utah, so Etan pointing out that from his experience it is worse in Utah is a perspective that deserves a minute to think about.

Living just south of SLC I can say that there's a lot of sensitivity here to the perception that Jazz fans are worse when it comes to this stuff, and that they are worse because the region has a culture that permits it. I do see that as a possibility, and there are a few reasons why. The Jazz are the only game in town among the 4 major sports, so I suspect that both competitors against the Jazz end up receiving very narrowly focused vitriol, and that the fanbase is represented by a relatively small number of people and judged accordingly. With Silicon Slopes there's also been an infusion of money into the area, and a very clear rise of "sales bro" culture. These types of guys are pretty obnoxious and have just about zero self awareness. Add in that the community was founded by a religion that remains fairly predominant that for a missionary church can inadvertently create fairly insular communities, I think you can see a naive insensitivity to racial issues at times. A minority is almost certainly racist, but others simply don't realize how some of what they do or say appears. This has been my experience as a member of the predominant religion there in a mixed race marriage with children that are clearly mixed race too.

That said, it will be interesting going forward to see how things are handled. It seems like the Jazz organization and Gail Miller have handled things in a productive manner so far. Etan being dissatisfied with some of the organization's actions shouldn't be confused with them not doing anything, or not doing the right thing. The organization seems to me to be taking steps to galvanize the community to move forward with a renewed consciousness that their conduct matters and that their actions as individuals represent the community as a whole. If that's internalized, that should net out to a positive for the fans and the players.

The Zion take was annoying. He sounded like he needed to be part of the cool crowd bemoaning how college athletes aren’t paid.

Meanwhile, Zion isn’t “Zion” without college. Maybe he still becomes that guy, probably does eventually, but even with his HS recognition and followers, college has made him into the next LeBron.

I liked Etan as a player, and yes he has become outspoken on many issues, many of which he takes a far right platform, which annoys me beyond end. I am not an extremest person, yet his views always side with the right extreme, so much I just quit listening to what he has to say.

I liked Etan as a player, and yes he has become outspoken on many issues, many of which he takes a far right platform, which annoys me beyond end. I am not an extremest person, yet his views always side with the right extreme, so much I just quit listening to what he has to say.
read his book

The Zion take was annoying. He sounded like he needed to be part of the cool crowd bemoaning how college athletes aren’t paid.

Meanwhile, Zion isn’t “Zion” without college. Maybe he still becomes that guy, probably does eventually, but even with his HS recognition and followers, college has made him into the next LeBron.

How did Lebron become Lebron without college?

Right? If I’m not mistaken, he goes left. Right?

etan represents the best of the university well. all politics aside he remains active in social issues.
My daughter went to Siena. Nice school. But they get Wayne call me crazy Pierre!

Without getting overly political, I’ll just say that I like to remember Etan as my favorite player when I was a kid instead of an advocate for a lot of things I disagree with.

Well, be that as it may, his take was pretty solid on this incident. No place for that kind of stuff. Glad the fine against Russ was minor.

Last edited:
Tat reminds me when Bush raised his left hand and then his right saying sometimes people don’t know their right from their left!

Where’s yogi when u need him
My brother in law has that issue, as does my wife at times. It happens

Every time society moves forward on a particular issue, it initially starts as an "extremist" idea. If everyone just stayed in the middle all the time, we never would have left the Dark Ages.

Suffer from dyslexia?

Every time society moves forward on a particular issue, it initially starts as an "extremist" idea. If everyone just stayed in the middle all the time, we never would have left the Dark Ages.
Tell that to the white nationalists and militant islamists

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom