Harvey Updyke has only paid $99 of the $800,000 he owes Auburn (CBS) | Syracusefan.com

Harvey Updyke has only paid $99 of the $800,000 he owes Auburn (CBS)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...has-only-paid-99-of-the-800000-he-owes-auburn

USATSI_7593143.jpg

$800,000 for a tree? How do you come up with that as a monetary value?

:crazy:

$800,000 for a tree? How do you come up with that as a monetary value?

:crazy:
He's also got to re-imburse the local Piggly Wiggly for all the toilet paper that they're not selling anymore.

He has to have a payment schedule and if he fails to live up to it then I would figure the State of Alabama will slap a lien on any property or valuables this guy owns.

Prob the cost to try and save the trees was immense. My guess is greater than $800k
Would've been cheaper had he just cut the thing down. Trees have a specific cost that can be identified usually as actual cash value or replacement cost. Similar to something that happened to me once...we were on vacation, my idiot brother-in -law was watching our 100 lb lab/shepherd mix (sweet dog). We told him not to let her off the leash in the park as she had killed a couple ground hogs (protecting the wife). Well natually he lets her off the leash and she takes off after what she thought was a ground hog. Unfortunately it was a pomeranian, tosssed it up in the air a few times then let it go (maybe realized "Hey that's a bark!? That's not a ground hog"). Anyway, the pomeranian survived, after $3,500 of veterinary surgery. I made the comment to my wife that it would only have cost us about $350 to replace if it had died." I believe I slept with my dog that night, $3,500 poorer. Brother -in-laws can be such idiots sometimes!

Would've been cheaper had he just cut the thing down. Trees have a specific cost that can be identified usually as actual cash value or replacement cost. Similar to something that happened to me once...we were on vacation, my idiot brother-in -law was watching our 100 lb lab/shepherd mix (sweet dog). We told him not to let her off the leash in the park as she had killed a couple ground hogs (protecting the wife). Well natually he lets her off the leash and she takes off after what she thought was a ground hog. Unfortunately it was a pomeranian, tosssed it up in the air a few times then let it go (maybe realized "Hey that's a bark!? That's not a ground hog"). Anyway, the pomeranian survived, after $3,500 of veterinary surgery. I made the comment to my wife that it would only have cost us about $350 to replace if it had died." I believe I slept with my dog that night, $3,500 poorer. Brother -in-laws can be such idiots sometimes!

no one is disagreeing with that. however, this wasnt any normal tree. these things were tradition so i dont blame auburn for trying to save them. if syracuse had a similar tradition, i'd hope similar efforts would be made.

now what updyke should be liable for, that is an interesting legal question. i'd tend to argue he should only be liable for the cost of the tree.

The 30 for 30 is incredible.

SEC fans should be put on medication.

Go ahead and take the rest of the day off! You've earned it.
I saw the alert from your "like" and thought "Who the heck is Harvey Updyke and what did I apparently say about him?" Then I looked at the date!?
Go ahead and take the rest of the day off! You've earned it.
What about me? A solo "like" 6 years after the original post? :cool: That's gotta be some sort of record too!

I saw the alert from your "like" and thought "Who the heck is Harvey Updyke and what did I apparently say about him?" Then I looked at the date!?

What about me? A solo "like" 6 years after the original post? :cool:
It's after noon on a Friday for me. I say go for it!

I think the Shawn Michaels getting beat up at a bar in Syracuse thread that occasionally makes an appearance is actually the longest.

I believe that one was deleted recently no?