Has anyone ever been to a Syracuse game at Cameron Indoor? | Syracusefan.com

Has anyone ever been to a Syracuse game at Cameron Indoor?

JoeyZ

Walk On
My best friend is a Duke fan, and both of us turn 40 this year. His birthday was last week, and I had decided to surprise him and get us two tickets to the game next Saturday down at Cameron Indoor. He's going to get a bucket list item out of this.

With that said, has anyone on the board been down there for a Syracuse game? Do you have any recommendations on food, bars, etc? Someone was telling me we should go see the UNC Hall of Fame down the road and also walk the Duke campus as musts.

Similarly, there's no way that I'm not wearing Syracuse stuff, but does anyone have any feedback on how their fans are? I tend to think we're cool hosts with visitors, but would like to know any thoughts others have seen there if they have.

I've walked the Duke campus and it's indeed a beautiful campus. Never caught a game at Cameron.

I was at the CJ Fair charge call/Boeheim meltdown game... fully decked out in ‘cuse gear, only caught a little flak from a drunk sorority sister while walking the campus, rest of the fans were pretty tame. Didn’t spend much time in the area, but tried a local bbq place that was tasty. You’ll have a blast, high school gym feel that looks like it’s located in an academic building from the exterior. Environment was fun!

Their fans are fine; actually very polite. If you are respectful, they will be respectful. Definitely walk the campus, including "KrzyzewskiVille" where the kids camp out before games.

There is a nice "museum" inside Cameron. Visit it if you can.

You will be shocked to see how small and crowded Cameron is. Every square inch has been utilized for seating. At the "flung-off-the-jacket" game, my knees were literally squished up against the back of Jerami Grant's chair... and his perspiration was dripping on my legs.

Last edited:
I've been several times and proudly wore orange with no issues. CTO is absolutely correct, you'll have zero problems in Cameron as an opposing fan. I was there 2 years ago when we won and sat in the student section. I'll be there this year... I may actually be able to get floor seats... we'll see. If not, I have a couple of tickets in the upper deck. They're still great seats.

As far as food, there's a ton of great places to eat in Durham. It's actually turned into a city with great restaurants. What kind of food do you like? There's a great barbeque place called the Original Q Shack. I highly recommend it... great food, good portions and inexpensive. There's great burger places. One of the best I've ever had was at Bull City Burger in downtown Durham. It's a little pricey for burgers, but you won't be disappointed. Good luck and I hope you have a great time!

My best friend is a Duke fan, and both of us turn 40 this year. His birthday was last week, and I had decided to surprise him and get us two tickets to the game next Saturday down at Cameron Indoor. He's going to get a bucket list item out of this.

With that said, has anyone on the board been down there for a Syracuse game? Do you have any recommendations on food, bars, etc? Someone was telling me we should go see the UNC Hall of Fame down the road and also walk the Duke campus as musts.

Similarly, there's no way that I'm not wearing Syracuse stuff, but does anyone have any feedback on how their fans are? I tend to think we're cool hosts with visitors, but would like to know any thoughts others have seen there if they have.
Awesome present, dude. You're pretty much like the best friend ever!

Campus is beautiful. I went to the UNC/SU lax game last year when I was living down in Raleigh. Durham is a cool area. Definitely an old school feel. Raleigh is a great city, too.

Thats good to hear from all that have been. Are there any good Durham breweries that you know of?

For RaleighSUFan, I like all kinds of food. The more unique to the area the better.

As for JoeySimz...you're pretty much right, but then again, I'm going to the Syracuse game in a week, so it wasn't a sacrifice other than the 9.5 hour drive from Binghamton and the money... I mean a lot of money.

Dames Chicken n Waffles is really good authentic southern food - in Downtown Durham and limited seating
Nanataco - I've heard is great
Watts Grocery is really good
Parizade is a pretty nice sit down restaurant
Elmo's Diner on 9th Street
Devine's - this is a good little sports bar on Main St.

Honestly, your options are endless!

We were there 2 years ago when we beat them. Only “negative “ comment we got dame from a 65+ year old woman who looked at us st the end of the game and told us to, “go home “. On campus before and after game in our orange and never had an issue. Atmosphere was as good as you think it will be, but you will notice that the ‘upper decks’ ( use that lightly since it’s so small) are pretty reserved compared to the students that surround the court.

Duke’s campus is one of the most beautiful that we have visited. Was a lot of construction last time that detracts from that somewhat, but it’s a must see.

Too expensive. I've always wanted to go, but tickets on the secondary market were too rich for my blood and it is almost impossible to get them when they are initially sold.

The campus is one of the reasons I applied there.

I'm an SU grad and die hard fan. I've had season tickets at Duke since 1994.

Others here have made great suggestions (Bull City Burger, Fullsteam Brewery, Parizade, Q Shack.) I'd add Piedmont, for great local farm to table, Mateo Tapas, and if you want to go upscale, Nana's. And if you're staying at the Washington Duke hotel, they have a great pre game spread, probably with outside dining for the 6pm start. And their bar is lively after the game too. And for brunch the next day - Guglhupf.

A walk through the Duke campus is a must . The Duke basketball museum inside Cameron is fun. I've never been to the UNC museum, but it's 8 miles away, so you might as well take advantage. Have fun!

Yes..most recent the game Roberson went beast mode! One of several pics from my vantage point behind the SU bench!

upload_2018-2-17_21-36-23.png

If you like wings check out Heavenly Buffaloes in Durham. Amazing stuff.

Ponysaurus is a great location for beer, there are lots of good breweries but that may have the best outdoor seating.

As someone already mentioned, there is a ton of construction going on right now. Most of it is on the Medical Center portion of campus. Make sure you take a few minutes to walk through the quad and stop by and head into the Duke Chapel for a few minutes. Even if you aren't religious, it's very impressive.

I hear the Denny's is pretty good.

Enjoy the game and bring home a win!

Was there two years ago for the "AMAZING" game. I agree with many above that the fans are very polite, no problem wearing SU Orange though may take a couple of kidding comments. We actually got to game about an hour early being concerned about parking. They put us in a lot about 1/2 mile from Cameron, not a bad hike. Enjoyed standing outside of Cameron and watching the Syracuse bus arrive and players and coaches file in, then watching the Duke fans organize into groups/lines to be seated in stands. We actually spent about 15 minutes talking with the SU bus driver (tour bus from NC area). We had seen him and the coaches the prior Friday night in Winston Salem at a restaurant when he transported the coaches and some staff to dinner. SU played that next day (Saturday) at Wake Forest and bused from Winston Salem to the Triangle Area for the Monday night game at Cameron. The area near Cameron had several orange construction cones and my son commented it was great to see Duke welcoming SU with so many orange cones. Once inside the game we sat in the section behind the SU bench in the last row few seats from the end. The end seat had an obstructed view of the basket at the other end. Seat remained empty. All around us were Duke fans, very polite, friendly and knowledgeable of basketball. On that evening they were amazed at the play of Roberson -tied record for rebounds against Duke (I think) and the excellent play of Gbinje. After the game, which ended as a bit of a surprise to Duke fans, they congratulated us on a good game. Forgot to say the Cameron Crazies are fun to watch. That evening was when JB showed them the inside of his jacket since they kept chanting for him to remove his jacket.

Another vote for Dames Chicken and Waffles in downtown Durham. Parking is easy and you can make a reservation on opentable.

Tobacco Road is right down the street for a good sports bar. It overlooks the Durham Bulls baseball stadium.

A little off the beaten path perhaps in Raleigh- the library on the NC State Centennial Campus is an architectural gem. The NC State main campus itself is actually rather nice too.

Oh- Angus Barn is likely where the team will have dinner right after arriving on Friday. It’s basically next to the airport. Upscale steakhouse of sorts, but not at all ridiculously expensive. You get your money’s worth.

Went the year we were in probation . Lot of fun, people were nice

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wanted to post a summary because it was a fun thing to do, but also in case anyone else does it and searches for Duke trip on the site.

On Friday, we got into town around 5 or so. We checked into the hotel, I watched some golf, and then we headed to FullSteam Brewery. Parking in that area was pretty tough, as there was no parking lot. I was wearing a Syracuse sweatshirt, but there was literally nobody wearing Duke there, as it was a non sports atmosphere, more of the board games and bring your dog type place. I'm a beer snob, and while I thought the beer was decent, it was more of a if you're there it's fine, but not worth going out of your way for place.

On Saturday morning, we drove over to Chapel Hill and visited the UNC Hall of Fame. Given that it's 15 minutes away, it's almost surreal to have two College Basketball BlueBloods that close to each other. Their Hall of Fame is an A+, with so many artifacts in each display but also so well done. They have a main section that's on a court, with a three point line. They have footprint displays on the spot on the course where various famous shots were made. Overall, for doing this trip, it was a cool thing to do. The greeter at the door wished me the best of luck tonight, but was also genuinely happy to see two people supporting other schools coming to see their place.

Late morning, we drove over to the campus so my friend could hit up the bookstore for his merchandise and to ensure we knew where we parking and going. There we saw Krzyzewskiville, which is in a word nutty. I'm not sure if it's the best or worst thing I've seen. I imagine 20 years ago, I would have been jealous. Now, so many questions as a parent. I'd probably read a book if someone documented their entire experience of it.

The Campus is beautiful as everyone says. Unlike Syracuse with many beautiful buildings, but of different ages and design, everything there is seemingly made of the same stone and looks very similar to each other. That sets the backdrop for seeing Cameron Indoor Stadium from the outside for the first time. Holy cow...it looks like any other building on campus and is really small versus literally any other place I've ever seen. The only comparable thing I can compare it to is when I was outside the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. You literally wouldn't know it's an arena/stadium, etc.

The Duke Hall of Fame is also very nice, but not nearly as big as UNC's. It shows that we probably could still do more with ours though. Ours is beautiful and cool, but not quite as big or thorough as either of theirs.

We left campus for a few hours and had a few beers and burgers at Bull City Burgers and Brewery. The Burger there was delicious, but a little on the small side. The beer was decent, but also nothing that I was overwhelmed with. On the way back, we stopped at a place called Pour Taproom, which was a pay by the ounce beer place where you served yourself one of about 100 beers. Now this...impressive, and one can only hope this concept / franchise makes it's way up north.

Once we got to the game, it was 3 and we were informed doors didn't open until 5. This is the first gripe I'll have versus our setup... there's really no tailgating / party fun type setup. I'm not going into the tents at age 40 to drink, but there's no bars, no tailgate, nothing. Alot of fans just walking around doing nothing. The next gripe would be that while literally no person harassed me, nobody really engaged me in any conversation either. I know people talk when we see fans of different schools, and this was just like everyone was there doing their own thing. It made for a long 2 hours waiting to get in.

Once in, we walked up a narrow stair case to the second level for our seats, and it was literally amazing how small it is. It's not Broome County Arena or OnCenter small, but it's not much bigger than that. We were the second row from the top in a corner on the student side / Duke bench side, and it was probably no worse than sitting in the first few rows of the second level at the Dome. The only problem up top was that each seat in each row was even, so I had to lean to see around the guy's head in front of me that was blocking the basket. It was also tough to hear the student's chants or PA, as the sound was loud but not totally audible. There's 16 sections at Cameron Indoor Stadium, and on that top level it took me 2 minutes and 39 seconds to walk around the entire top section from my section around and back in the concourse with people. There's times at the Dome where you can't get past a concession stand line in that time. Similarly, where you can get 50+ dudes in the bathrooms at the Dome, you can get like 6 there. Gary Battle has a good tweet on that. There's almost no advertising, and the concessions are as basic as it gets. The Cameron Crazies were pretty mesmerizing to watch though to the point of jealousy that we don't have that. There's no reason why with some coordination any student section couldn't do it, but they also need to just do it.

Overall, it was a really cool trip. Worth the money once? Definitely. Twice? I'd probably rather do the entire ACC Tourney in Greensboro for the same amount as a next trip. However, the best thing I'll take away is seeing the really classy Cameron Indoor Stadium writing on the scorer's table with Jim Boeheim to one side and Coach K on the other. If that doesn't give you chills, I don't know what does.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I wanted to post a summary because it was a fun thing to do, but also in case anyone else does it and searches for Duke trip on the site.

On Friday, we got into town around 5 or so. We checked into the hotel, I watched some golf, and then we headed to FullSteam Brewery. Parking in that area was pretty tough, as there was no parking lot. I was wearing a Syracuse sweatshirt, but there was literally nobody wearing Duke there, as it was a non sports atmosphere, more of the board games and bring your dog type place. I'm a beer snob, and while I thought the beer was decent, it was more of a if you're there it's fine, but not worth going out of your way for place.

On Saturday morning, we drove over to Chapel Hill and visited the UNC Hall of Fame. Given that it's 15 minutes away, it's almost surreal to have two College Basketball BlueBloods that close to each other. Their Hall of Fame is an A+, with so many artifacts in each display but also so well done. They have a main section that's on a court, with a three point line. They have footprint displays on the spot on the course where various famous shots were made. Overall, for doing this trip, it was a cool thing to do. The greeter at the door wished me the best of luck tonight, but was also genuinely happy to see two people supporting other schools coming to see their place.

Late morning, we drove over to the campus so my friend could hit up the bookstore for his merchandise and to ensure we knew where we parking and going. There we saw Krzyzewskiville, which is in a word nutty. I'm not sure if it's the best or worst thing I've seen. I imagine 20 years ago, I would have been jealous. Now, so many questions as a parent. I'd probably read a book if someone documented their entire experience of it.

The Campus is beautiful as everyone says. Unlike Syracuse with many beautiful buildings, but of different ages and design, everything there is seemingly made of the same stone and looks very similar to each other. That sets the backdrop for seeing Cameron Indoor Stadium from the outside for the first time. Holy cow...it looks like any other building on campus and is really small versus literally any other place I've ever seen. The only comparable thing I can compare it to is when I was outside the old Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto. You literally wouldn't know it's an arena/stadium, etc.

The Duke Hall of Fame is also very nice, but not nearly as big as UNC's. It shows that we probably could still do more with ours though. Ours is beautiful and cool, but not quite as big or thorough as either of theirs.

We left campus for a few hours and had a few beers and burgers at Bull City Burgers and Brewery. The Burger there was delicious, but a little on the small side. The beer was decent, but also nothing that I was overwhelmed with. On the way back, we stopped at a place called Pour Taproom, which was a pay by the ounce beer place where you served yourself one of about 100 beers. Now this...impressive, and one can only hope this concept / franchise makes it's way up north.

Once we got to the game, it was 3 and we were informed doors didn't open until 5. This is the first gripe I'll have versus our setup... there's really no tailgating / party fun type setup. I'm not going into the tents at age 40 to drink, but there's no bars, no tailgate, nothing. Alot of fans just walking around doing nothing. The next gripe would be that while literally no person harassed me, nobody really engaged me in any conversation either. I know people talk when we see fans of different schools, and this was just like everyone was there doing their own thing. It made for a long 2 hours waiting to get in.

Once in, we walked up a narrow stair case to the second level for our seats, and it was literally amazing how small it is. It's not Broome County Arena or OnCenter small, but it's not much bigger than that. We were the second row from the top in a corner on the student side / Duke bench side, and it was probably no worse than sitting in the first few rows of the second level at the Dome. The only problem up top was that each seat in each row was even, so I had to lean to see around the guy's head in front of me that was blocking the basket. It was also tough to hear the student's chants or PA, as the sound was loud but not totally audible. There's 16 sections at Cameron Indoor Stadium, and on that top level it took me 2 minutes and 39 seconds to walk around the entire top section from my section around and back in the concourse with people. There's times at the Dome where you can't get past a concession stand line in that time. Similarly, where you can get 50+ dudes in the bathrooms at the Dome, you can get like 6 there. Gary Battle has a good tweet on that. There's almost no advertising, and the concessions are as basic as it gets. The Cameron Crazies were pretty mesmerizing to watch though to the point of jealousy that we don't have that. There's no reason why with some coordination any student section couldn't do it, but they also need to just do it.

Overall, it was a really cool trip. Worth the money once? Definitely. Twice? I'd probably rather do the entire ACC Tourney in Greensboro for the same amount as a next trip. However, the best thing I'll take away is seeing the really classy Cameron Indoor Stadium writing on the scorer's table with Jim Boeheim to one side and Coach K on the other. If that doesn't give you chills, I don't know what does.
Great write-up. Thanks for sharing your experience.