Has anyone seen this? Sean Mac

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member

Never knew or heard about this.
It is a great story by a great sportscaster about a great man.

One wonders how many other people he influenced similarly. It is a special thing when a person is put in a position of power and uses that power for the greater good.

God love him.

elimunelson

All Conference
It’s a great story. Love Sean and loved when he spoke to us at Newhouse in mid 1990s. He humored me when I asked him 5 questions about the Red Sox when my classmates wanted to speak about broadcast journalism.

but I am left wondering, “was will McDonough that broke in the mid 1980s?” He was the lead columnist for the Boston globe, on NBC, etc and friends w Whitey Bulger. ESPN just did a big story on Seans brother and it’s a great read on how he recovered from alcoholism and killing a classmate in an OUI

Moontan

2017 ESPN College Bowl Pick’em Winner
I watched Coach Macs complete service that day. McDonough was incredible. Not gonna lie, I had tears a few times
I did too. It’s worth seeing Sean’s entire eulogy. Quite moving. I didn’t know of Sean’s circumstances until Coach Mac’s service.

I worked a few soccer games in ‘81 operating the substitution horn in the Dome. Sean was the PA announcer, sitting 2 seats over. I had the fortune of chatting with him at the 2012 Basket Ball in which he was the MC.

Scooch

Hall of Fame
but I am left wondering, “was will McDonough that broke in the mid 1980s?” He was the lead columnist for the Boston globe, on NBC, etc and friends w Whitey Bulger.
Yeah, that is really strange. I guess Will didn't believe in paying for his kid's education.

elimunelson

All Conference
Yeah, that is really strange. I guess Will didn't believe in paying for his kid's education.
Terry McDonough vehicular homicide was around that time and maybe Will paid a pretty penny for the lawyers.

I know Will had full custody of the kids bc the mom was a mess but to almost leave Syracuse for financial reasons is unfortunate and odd.

Cheriehoop

Staff member
Terry McDonough vehicular homicide was around that time and maybe Will paid a pretty penny for the lawyers.

I know Will had full custody of the kids bc the mom was a mess but to almost leave Syracuse for financial reasons is unfortunate and odd.
If the mom was a mess, another son in legal need etc dad’s income may have prevented Sean from getting financial aid but circumstances and immediate family priorities may have made his dad’s income inadequate to cover expenses at the time.

Top Bottom