Hate to say it but we are pretty loaded | Syracusefan.com

Hate to say it but we are pretty loaded

We have 3 semi-proven wide receivers in an offense that requires at least 8 guys, one reliable QB who may not be able to stay healthy, 3 unknowns on the offensive line, and a back 7 that needs to learn a new system when they couldn't execute the last one.

Maybe we have athletic ability, but in my mind, "loaded" means talented players ready to go. That's far from proven at this point. I'd love to be wrong.

I don't know about that, but I'm confident that the coaching STAFF is the best we've had in years.

What an advantage for Babers to have brought over an entire, cohesive unit [save for the 2 new members] that are proven commodities, know the system, and know how to work together effectively.

I don't know about that, but I'm confident that the coaching STAFF is the best we've had in years.

What an advantage for Babers to have brought over an entire, cohesive unit [save for the 2 new members] that are proven commodities, know the system, and know how to work together effectively.

This is where I'm at. I'm not sure that we are loaded. But I am confident that we'll have a better idea of just how much talent we do have because I think this staff will be able to get the most out of the talent we do have.

Yeah, I'm skeptical of the 'loaded' part to say the least, but a well-coached team will play above their talent level. I guess we don't know that Babers and co. are that staff, per se, but it feels like they are. And if we have a really good staff, a lot of those unproven kids are going to be well-known pretty quickly. Happened with Marrone and Shafer on the defensive side of the ball in particular in year 1 of that regime.

I hate to say it, but the only thing this team is "loaded" at is question marks...
Wrs - ?
Rbs - ?
Ol - ?
Every level of D - ?
Te - ?
Qb - ?
Even McNabb had a bit of a sophomore slump... That's assuming Dungey can play a full season w/o getting knocked out...

Given the seemingly abnormal number of injuries we've had the last few years and lack of experience at several key positions, I wouldn't say we're loaded.

Definitely not loaded. I do think coaching will get quite a bit more out of this roster though.

Definitely not loaded. I do think coaching will get quite a bit more out of this roster though.

Agreed. I think we have some nice pieces of the puzzle on BOTH sides of the ball. We also have some skilled offensive players who might prove to be legitimate difference makers in a system like the one Babers is implementing.

Both sides of the ball have 7+ guys who are returning starters, as well. That doesn't mean that they'll all emerge as starters in the new system, but that's a lot of experience to draw from. Good coaching can shape these raw materials into a bowl team.

This is where I'm at. I'm not sure that we are loaded. But I am confident that we'll have a better idea of just how much talent we do have because I think this staff will be able to get the most out of the talent we do have.
Spot on.

On offense, assuming good health - we have the most important position covered with Dungey at QB. I like our RB's, and I feel good about our top 3 WR's (Ish, Erv and Estime). Our O-line scares the hell out of me, and not in a good way.

Defensively, we have a solid group of DT's, but absolutely no depth at DE, though I'm bullish on Pickard and Ruff. But we need others to contribute valuable snaps. I really like our LB's. Franklin, Thomas and Bennett seem like a very solid trio. The secondary, much like the O-Line, is cause for concern. I think Cordy is an excellent player, but there isn't another guy at this point that jumps out to me as an impact player.

IMO, at this point to call us loaded is quite a reach. I really hope I'm proven very wrong, but I think 6-6 is good for this season. We're definitely trending in the right direction with the hire of Babers & some key signings on the recruiting trail. I hope in a couple years we can say we're loaded and prove it in the win/loss column.

I hate to say it, but the only thing this team is "loaded" at is question marks...
Wrs - ?
Rbs - ?
Ol - ?
Every level of D - ?
Te - ?
Qb - ?
Even McNabb had a bit of a sophomore slump... That's assuming Dungey can play a full season w/o getting knocked out...
RB should not be a questions, we have 2 proven starts, Neal will add a different element to throw at the Defense. LB on the D side will be fine as well, but yes lot's of ????

If this was the big east, I would say we are loaded. I do think we have some solid players on both sides that will earn the respect of ACC opponents. If we surprise people and win a bowl game I will then say 2017 team is loaded. We will return the whole defense and bring back some playmakers on offense. Year 2 of this scheme will be special.

RB should not be a questions, we have 2 proven starts, Neal will add a different element to throw at the Defense. LB on the D side will be fine as well, but yes lot's of ????
I guess... I love Moe's potential btw... But, 2 sophs coming off limited minutes as freshmen is hardly unquestionable... LB's should be a strength, but never know with switch to Tampa-2...

I am very hopeful, but I am also not one to expect the staff to work miracles here. Yes, we have some talent but we have some very big areas of question as well (WR outside of Ishmael, OL, DE, and DB, to name a few). Hoping kids step up and play to the level they are capable of early.

I guess... I love Moe's potential btw... But, 2 sophs coming off limited minutes as freshmen is hardly unquestionable... LB's should be a strength, but never know with switch to Tampa-2...
I agree Tampa 2 is a wild card, but I think the coaches get them in good shape for the switch
For the returning RB:

Jordan Fredericks 107 Car 607 Yds 5.7 YPC 4 TD 6 REC 55 Yds 9.2 AVG 1 TD
Dontae Strickland 21 Car 81 Yds 3.9 YPC 1 TD 9 REC 137 Yds 15.2 AVG 2 TD

The numbers are not all amazing, but for an offense that regularly tired to work in 4-6 different ball carries they are pretty good for true freshman. I can only see their numbers being better in their Soph year and in a better offense.

I agree Tampa 2 is a wild card, but I think the coaches get them in good shape for the switch
For the returning RB:

Jordan Fredericks 107 Car 607 Yds 5.7 YPC 4 TD 6 REC 55 Yds 9.2 AVG 1 TD
Dontae Strickland 21 Car 81 Yds 3.9 YPC 1 TD 9 REC 137 Yds 15.2 AVG 2 TD

The numbers are not all amazing, but for an offense that regularly tired to work in 4-6 different ball carries they are pretty good for true freshman. I can only see their numbers being better in their Soph year and in a better offense.
Yeah, I guess I'm being too demanding. I would consider rb without ?, if we had these guys in addition to a 1000yd starter coming back...

Better coaching staff on the offensive side; not so sure the d-side coaches are an upgrade. They are living off the glow surrounding Babers as an offensive coach.

Are we loaded? Depends on your standard. The OP is right -- the roster this season is a lot better than in 2015 in every position, except DE. We have few pre-season all-league players (even if all-league goes 4 deep). But we have promising young talent across the units, including our best soph QB in years, and our two best soph RBs in years.

Sure, we have some issues, but the new OTs (Lasker & McGloster) are bigger than the OTs we had last season, and looked capable in the Spring game. If Mike Lynch is a good OL coach, there is plenty to work with starting with the group, plus the good younger guys like Conway. There are 8 or 9 DBs who have played -- if the coaches are any good, they can find 4 good starters out of that returning bunch and the 5 or 6 frosh dbs they recruited. Even the DEs might be OK with Wilson coming as a post-grad, and Ruff bringing good size as one of the prizes of the recruiting class. The team depth is the best we have had in a long time, in every unit except DE.

Better offensive coaching, plus a better roster, including young talent -- a lot to like. Unless you are still wallowing in 2014 and 2015.

I don't think people are giving Brian Ward much of a chance. His resume doesn't match up with Shafer but I think he might be better the Bullough who never impressed me. Take a minute and read Wards resume.

An experienced defensive coach who has worked at every level of college football, Brian Ward was named Syracuse’s defensive coordinator in January 2016.

Before joining the Orange, Ward served as the defensive coordinator and linebackers coach for Bowling Green in 2015. He oversaw a defense that improved in several statistical categories from the previous year and featured two All-MAC selections at linebacker, including first-team honoree Austin Valdez. Ward also served as Bowling Green’s head coach for the 2015 GoDaddy Bowl versus Georgia Southern.

The improved performance of the defense under Ward was a major factor in Bowling Green winning the 2015 Mid-American Conference title. The Falcons surrendered 4.6 fewer points and nearly 76 yards less of total offense per game than they did in 2014. In addition, Bowling Green allowed 39 fewer first downs and moved up the NCAA statistical rankings in passing defense (up 44 spots), rushing defense (up 20 spots), scoring defense (from 106 to 84), and total defense (from 115 to 86). Bowling Green finished 13th nationally in turnovers gained (27) and eighth in interceptions (20).

Against MAC teams (including the conference championship game), the Falcons led the league in scoring defense (21.0 ppg), fewest yards per play (4.9), takeaways (22), and turnover margin (+13). Valdez was the leader of the unit, racking up 144 tackles and ranking 10th in the FBS at 10.3 tackles per contest. Trent Greene, another of Ward’s charges, earned All-MAC Second Team plaudits at linebacker after finishing with 115 tackles.

Prior to his stint at Bowling Green, Ward was the defensive coordinator at Western Illinois, molding the Leathernecks into one of the top defenses in FCS football from 2012-14. Ward’s 2013 unit ranked seventh in the nation in total defense (305.3 ypg) and third nationally in passing defense (149.0 ypg). Western Illinois also made improvements in a host of additional statistical categories, including passing efficiency defense, tackles for loss, and sacks, as Ward continued to implement his scheme during his second year.

In 2014, Ward coached two All-Missouri Valley Football Conference performers (Kevin Kintzel, Kris Harley). In addition, the Leathernecks put on one of the most impressive defensive displays of the season against Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon. Western Illinois held the Heisman Trophy finalist to 38 yards on 17 carries (2.2 avg.).

Before joining Western Illinois, Ward was the defensive coordinator at Drake in 2011 where he helped the Bulldogs to a 9-2 record and the Pioneer Football League championship. The Bulldogs held five of their last eight opponents to 14 points or less and finished the year second nationally in rushing defense (77.2 ypg), fifth in sacks (39), seventh in scoring defense (17.8 ppg), and 10th in total defense (295.4 ypg).

Ward’s other previous collegiate coaching stops include: McPherson College (1997, 2007-09), Glendale Community College (1999-2000), Wabash College (2001-04), Missouri Southern State (2005), and North Dakota State (2010). He spent the 2006 season as the defensive coordinator/assistant head coach at Tulsa Union High School in Oklahoma.

A 1997 graduate of NAIA McPherson College, Ward served as the head coach of his alma mater for three seasons from 2007-09, compiling a 17-14 (.548) record. In his final season, he led the Bulldogs to a 9-2 mark, the program’s first berth in the NAIA national playoffs, and was named the CollegeFanz.com Sports Network NAIA Coach of the Year. During his head coaching tenure, the Bulldogs boasted seven All-Americans, two Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC) Players of the Year, seven NAIA Scholar-Athletes, and 39 All-KCAC selections.

Ward also worked as the defensive coordinator and special teams coach at his alma mater in 1997 after the conclusion of his playing career.

Ward’s additional coaching highlights include being named the 2002 AFCA Division III Asistant Coach of the Year while serving as assistant head coach, special teams coordinator, and secondary coach for four years at Wabash College. The Little Giants were undefeated during the 2002 regular season, won the North Coast Athletic Conference, and reached the Division III quarterfinals, while leading the country in interceptions (25) and takeaways (43).

In 2003, Wabash ascended to No. 2 in the national polls and its defense ranked among the top 10 nationally in total defense, rushing defense, and interceptions. In 2004, Ward’s secondary set a Wabash season record by allowing just five touchdown passes.

As the defensive coordinator and secondary coach at Glendale Community College in 1999 and 2000, Ward was the architect of a Vaqueros defense that helped the program win back-to-back Arizona Community College Athletic Conference championships and the 2000 NJCAA national title.

Ward holds a bachelor’s degree in history from McPherson and a master’s degree in organizational management from the University of Phoenix. He is married to the former Amy Brandseth. The couple have three children – Travis, Ellie and Erin.

THE WARD FILE
Experience: 20th season/1st at Syracuse
Hometown: Glendale, Ariz.
Alma Mater: McPherson College '97
Family: wife, Amy; daughters, Ellie and Erin; son, Travis

PLAYING EXPERIENCE
College: McPherson College (1994-96)

COACHING LEDGER
1997 Defensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator McPherson College
1999-2000 Defensive Coordinator/Secondary Glendale Community College
2001-04 Asst. Head Coach/Special Teams Coordinator/Secondary Wabash College
2005 Asst. Head Coach/Co-Defensive Coordinator/Special Teams Coordinator/Linebackers Missouri Southern State
2006 Asst. Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator Tulsa Union High School (Okla.)
2007-09 Head Coach McPherson College
2010 Defensive Backs North Dakota State
2011 Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Drake
2012-14 Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Western Illinois
2015 Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers Bowling Green
2016-present Defensive Coordinator Syracuse

POSTSEASON COACHING EXPERIENCE
1999 Valley of the Sun Bowl
2000 Valley of the Sun Bowl (NJCAA National Champions)
2002 NCAA Division III Playoffs (Quarterfinals)
2009 NAIA Playoffs (First Round)
2010 FCS Playoffs (Quarterfinals)
2015 GoDaddy Bowl

PROMINENT PLAYERS COACHED
Missouri Southern State
Allen Barbre (Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Dolphins, Philadelphia Eagles)

North Dakota State
Marcus Williams (Houston Texans, New York Jets)
Carlton Littlejohn (Minnesota Vikings)
Kyle Emmanuel (San Diego Chargers)

Bowling Green
Austin Valdez (2015 All-MAC First Team)
Trenton Greene (2015 All-MAC Second Team)
VIEW FULL WEBSITE

CLOSE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom