Have any of our assistants even gotten interviews for other HC jobs? | Syracusefan.com

Have any of our assistants even gotten interviews for other HC jobs?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I just saw Fairfield is hiring a Rutgers assistant coach.

None of these MAAC/NEC jobs seem to be in the mix for our assistants.

Well I guess it’s a benefit for player development.
Autry handles the forwards.
Is it GMac with guards and Griffin win the bigs?

Thoughts on which two are most likely to get HC interviews soon?

Autry
Griff
Gmac
Devo

Thoughts on which two are most likely to get HC interviews soon?

Autry
Griff
Gmac
Devo
Autry is an automatic and GMac is probably second.

Griffin and Devo aren’t as close as the first two.
I am shocked Mid-Atlantic teams are avoiding Autry and these MAAC schools aren’t interviewing GMac.

I am shocked Mid-Atlantic teams are avoiding Autry and these MAAC schools aren’t interviewing GMac.
how do you know that's the case? maybe schools have called but our guys declined. hop declined many interviews over the years because he was holding out for a good job

how do you know that's the case? maybe schools have called but our guys declined. hop declined many interviews over the years because he was holding out for a good job
Autry wants a HC job. It’s said he wants his chance to run a program. For seem reason he wasn’t gotten a bite.
GMac it’s been reported wanted the Siena job last year(he was smart for wanting it as its a springboard).
We haven’t seen their names with any jobs this year. Jeff Goodman reports the candidates for the jobs and isn’t a hack.

Hop’s name was mentioned with the Charlotte job in 2010. He was offered the job and declined it.
Which was smart Hop was established as a top 10 assistant coach at that time. ESPN had an article where they ranked assistant coaches and he was always top 10.
Duke's Jeff Capel tops CBB recruiter rankings

Autry wants a HC job. It’s said he wants his chance to run a program. For seem reason he wasn’t gotten a bite.
GMac it’s been reported wanted the Siena job last year(he was smart for wanting it as its a springboard).
We haven’t seen their names with any jobs this year. Jeff Goodman reports the candidates for the jobs and isn’t a hack.

Hop’s name was mentioned with the Charlotte job in 2010. He was offered the job and declined it.
Which was smart Hop was established as a top 10 assistant coach at that time. ESPN had an article where they ranked assistant coaches and he was always top 10.
Duke's Jeff Capel tops CBB recruiter rankings
that's a lot of conjecture and third hand info

i believe it was reported at the time that he only took the charlotte offer for the experience of getting an interview.

in his own words, hop said he had declined many interview offers because he was only interested in a job where he could win. the jobs that you are so angsty about are not good jobs

if red is similarly declining interviews - because he knows jb is leaving in 3 years and he has a good shot at this job - then there would be nothing for goodman to report

i don't know if this is the case, but it is a plausible explanation to the question you raised in the op

Well GMac is taking over when JB retires so...
1554396105797.gif

I find it troubling that no other schools seem to be interested in our assistants to run their own program.

It’s like when Pasqualoni had SU consistently ranked in the 90s but never got a sniff from bigger programs.

After the success of Hop at UW you would think other programs would show interest in other JB assistants. Especially for non P5 leagues. But Autry may be too low key to fit the profile of a HC.

The assistants prime responsibility is recruit and develop. Look at the last 5 years. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that they’re not getting interviews.

The assistants prime responsibility is recruit and develop. Look at the last 5 years. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that they’re not getting interviews.

Zzzzzz...any chance you get some new material before next season?

Like previous poster stated, you may or may not find out if the assistants were offered interviews for non power 5 jobs.

Zzzzzz...any chance you get some new material before next season?

Like previous poster stated, you may or may not find out if the assistants were offered interviews for non power 5 jobs.
When Hop was pursued by Charlotte, St Bonaventure, and then later USC/Enfield-gate, the news got out. Maybe SU wasn't publicizing it, but news has a way of leaking out.

Let's take a look back at the history of our assistant coaches...

Rick Pitino (1976-78) - HC Jobs (31 Years) - BU, Providence, Kentucky & Louisville (Also NBA). Career Record: 647-392 (vacated wins not counted)
Bernie Fine (1976-2011) - Never HC.
Brendan Malone (1978-84) - HC Job (2 Years) - Rhode Island. Career Record: 17-39
Rick Callahan (1981-86) - Never HC.
Wayne Morgan (1984-96) - HC Jobs (9 Years) - Long Beach State, Iowa State. Career Record: 146-123
Ralph Willard (1986-87; Volunteer) - HC Jobs (19 Years) - Western Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Holy Cross. Career Record: 336-241
Tim Welsh (1988-91) - HC Jobs (13 Years) - Iona, Providence. Career Record: 215-148
Scott Hicks (1991-92) - HC Jobs (9 Years) - LeMoyne, Albany, Loyola (Md.). Career Record (D1): 27-114
Tim O'Toole (1992-95) - HC Job (8 Years) - Fairfield. Career Record: 112-120
Mike Hopkins (1995-2017) - HC Job (2 Years) - Washington. Career Record: 52-27
Louis Orr (1996-2000) - HC Jobs (13 Years) - Siena, Seton Hall, Bowling Green. Career Record: 201-201
Troy Weaver (2000-04) - Never HC.
Rob Murphy (2004-11) - HC Job (8 Years) - Eastern Michigan. Career Record: 144-127
Gerry McNamara (2011-Present)
Adrian Autry (2011-Present)
Allen Griffin (2017-Present)

Couple rambling thoughts... Take out Pitino, and the overall record for Boeheim assistants is 1250-1140 (.523 winning percentage) at varying levels of Division I basketball... Bernie Fine was an assistant coach for a really long time... Boeheim hasn't hired someone from outside of the Syracuse family since 2004 (Rob Murphy)... that's a really long time.

When Hop was pursued by Charlotte, St Bonaventure, and then later USC/Enfield-gate, the news got out. Maybe SU wasn't publicizing it, but news has a way of leaking out.
Not all news leaks out. I'm sure Hop had interest from other schools that are not on your list that never leaked out.

Not all news leaks out. I'm sure Hop had interest from other schools that are not on your list that never leaked out.

I also know that Hop had gotten interest from the NBA too that wasn’t reported. You are correct, there is much more going on than we ever know. Info is leaked if it’s in someone’s interest to leak it.

I just saw Fairfield is hiring a Rutgers assistant coach.

None of these MAAC/NEC jobs seem to be in the mix for our assistants.

Well I guess it’s a benefit for player development.
Autry handles the forwards.
Is it GMac with guards and Griffin win the bigs?

Rick Pitino, Brendan Malone, Troy Weaver, Louis Orr, Wayne Morgan and probably some others I'm forgetting (Tim Welsh) all went on to be coaches or GMs, some in the NBA.

Let's take a look back at the history of our assistant coaches...

Rick Pitino (1976-78) - HC Jobs (31 Years) - BU, Providence, Kentucky & Louisville (Also NBA). Career Record: 647-392 (vacated wins not counted)
Bernie Fine (1976-2011) - Never HC.
Brendan Malone (1978-84) - HC Job (2 Years) - Rhode Island. Career Record: 17-39
Rick Callahan (1981-86) - Never HC.
Wayne Morgan (1984-96) - HC Jobs (9 Years) - Long Beach State, Iowa State. Career Record: 146-123
Ralph Willard (1986-87; Volunteer) - HC Jobs (19 Years) - Western Kentucky, Pittsburgh, Holy Cross. Career Record: 336-241
Tim Welsh (1988-91) - HC Jobs (13 Years) - Iona, Providence. Career Record: 215-148
Scott Hicks (1991-92) - HC Jobs (9 Years) - LeMoyne, Albany, Loyola (Md.). Career Record (D1): 27-114
Tim O'Toole (1992-95) - HC Job (8 Years) - Fairfield. Career Record: 112-120
Mike Hopkins (1995-2017) - HC Job (2 Years) - Washington. Career Record: 52-27
Louis Orr (1996-2000) - HC Jobs (13 Years) - Siena, Seton Hall, Bowling Green. Career Record: 201-201
Troy Weaver (2000-04) - Never HC.
Rob Murphy (2004-11) - HC Job (8 Years) - Eastern Michigan. Career Record: 144-127
Gerry McNamara (2011-Present)
Adrian Autry (2011-Present)
Allen Griffin (2017-Present)

Couple rambling thoughts... Take out Pitino, and the overall record for Boeheim assistants is 1250-1140 (.523 winning percentage) at varying levels of Division I basketball... Bernie Fine was an assistant coach for a really long time... Boeheim hasn't hired someone from outside of the Syracuse family since 2004 (Rob Murphy)... that's a really long time.

Nice job!

I also know that Hop had gotten interest from the NBA too that wasn’t reported. You are correct, there is much more going on than we ever know. Info is leaked if it’s in someone’s interest to leak it.

Also Boston U and Oregon St.

Rick Pitino, Bernie Bickerstaff, Troy Weaver, Louis Orr, Wayne Morgan and probably some others I'm forgetting (Tim Welsh) all went on to be coaches or GMs, some in the NBA.
I am not talking about the past. I was talking about the current staff.

I am not talking about the past. I was talking about the current staff.

I don't think it's the best staff we've had.
I'm not there at practice every day, but the results kind of speak for themselves lately.
I don't see a "star" on there, personally, as much as everybody wants Gerry to be "that guy".

There is a very big person on this board who did not think that Gerry was cut out to be coaching material when he first started out.

Anyone who listened to his appearances on the morning radio shows does not hear a funny, dynamic guy on the phone. You hear somebody who speaks a bit monotone, but maybe that's just because he hasn't had his coffee yet.

I don't think it's the best staff we've had.
I'm not there at practice every day, but the results kind of speak for themselves lately.
I don't see a "star" on there, personally, as much as everybody wants Gerry to be "that guy".

There is a very big person on this board who did not think that Gerry was cut out to be coaching material when he first started out.

Anyone who listened to his appearances on the morning radio shows does not hear a funny, dynamic guy on the phone. You hear somebody who speaks a bit monotone, but maybe that's just because he hasn't had his coffee yet.

Matt...your last paragraph read like you were talking about a younger Jim Boeheim.

Matt...your last paragraph read like you were talking about a younger Jim Boeheim.

Boeheim is funny. Boeheim has a sly, snarky sense of humor. Boeheim is sarcastic.
Gerry doesn't have nearly as much personality. He's kind of bland.
Great player, but I don't like the idea that he's our lead recruiter.

Boeheim is funny. Boeheim has a sly, snarky sense of humor. Boeheim is sarcastic.
Gerry doesn't have nearly as much personality. He's kind of bland.
Great player, but I don't like the idea that he's our lead recruiter.

A lot of people including recruits would disagree with you.

I find it troubling that no other schools seem to be interested in our assistants to run their own program.

It’s like when Pasqualoni had SU consistently ranked in the 90s but never got a sniff from bigger programs.

To be fair, I think that was equal parts reputation (hard-working guy who was happy where he was) and football meatheadism (we don't want no stinkin' freeze option coach! more smash!).