HBO Chernobyl Mini-Series | Syracusefan.com

HBO Chernobyl Mini-Series

It looks really good and interesting. Not sure I’d make it through it.

this should be good . . . the soviet firefighters at chernobyl were incredibly heroic

Check this documentary. Soviet footage. Translated into english. Incredibly compelling. Quintessentially Russian. They have pitiful equipment and resources but no shortage of personal sacrifice. Hearing the Army commander trying to stick up for his men who were being used as disposable automatons and the inner struggles of people who had to decide if it was worth destroying the workers to accomplish a specific minor task is pretty tough.

I've watched the first episode 3 times. It's utterly gripping. A read a review that panned the first episode as confusing and leaving too many unanswered questions. Questions like why civilians didn't appreciate the danger they were on, especially on the bridge scene. I think the reviewer got it terribly wrong. The scenes inside the reactor building should be chaotic and confusing. As to the civilians, I think you can't substitute your judgment for how you'd react to these poor people that were lied to constantly about what they were living near.

I found the first episode to be absolutely riveting. You knew exactly what was going to happen, yet, there was suspense as if you were watching a horror movie. In the Soviet era, I don't doubt there was significant national pride which led to significant situational blindness - both by those making decisions in the moment, as well as those in the surrounding communities who were victims.

We should go all out nuclear power. No wind turbines. They cause cancer according to the smartest person on the planet!

We should go all out nuclear power. No wind turbines. They cause cancer according to the smartest person on the planet!
Nuke power is incredibly safe and clean.

Eh, he’s right.
The Japanese after the earthquake would take exception. Next war won’t be with arms but with the ability to hack and disable infrastructure computer systems. Which ones would you think they’ll go after? Power grids will be number one. But if you want to totally annihilate a country and it’s population it’s like having a nuclear bomb go off and wondering if it was a 300 lb.terrorist sitting in his bed that did it.

Why do all those Russians have British accents?
It was a joint venture between HBO and Sky, so basically it was like ringing the dinner bell for UK/Irish actors.

It was so well done. My god it makes the other junk on tv look like we all got together and made a tv show

I just finished Episode 3. It’s incredibly well done. I just can’t imagine the unspeakable pain and suffering some of those plant workers and firefighters went through.

That funeral scene at the end was harrowing.

I just finished Episode 3. It’s incredibly well done. I just can’t imagine the unspeakable pain and suffering some of those plant workers and firefighters went through.

That funeral scene at the end was harrowing.
I wondered about the significance of the shoes. It was as horrible as I'd imagined, yet somehow what I found was even worse.

At the morgue they said, "Want to see what we'll dress him in?" I do! They dressed him up in formal wear, with his service cap. They couldn't get shoes on him because his feet had swelled up. They had to cut up the formal wear, too, because they couldn't get it on him, there wasn't a whole body to put it on. It was all -- wounds. The last two days in the hospital -- I'd lift his arm, and meanwhile the bone is shaking, just sort of dangling, the body has gone away from it. Pieces of his lungs, of his liver, were coming out of his mouth. He was choking on his internal organs. I'd wrap my hand in a bandage and put it in his mouth, take out all that stuff. It's impossible to talk about. It's impossible to write about. And even to live through. It was all mine.

When it comes to worst way to die, acute radiation sickness wins by a mile.

What the professor said is true, there is a false remission where the person recovers quite well. But the damage is festering underneath. The DNA is destroyed. Your cells die and replace themselves constantly, but now there is now blueprint, nothing to replace what has died. You begin to rot. Your veins fall apart, no morphine. Your marrow can no longer produce white blood cells, you cannot fight infection. This actually probably the only merciful part of it. The worst part is your nerves. They don't really regenerate the way everything else does. So your nervous system stays in tact. You feel all of it.

When it comes to worst way to die, acute radiation sickness wins by a mile.

What the professor said is true, there is a false remission where the person recovers quite well. But the damage is festering underneath. The DNA is destroyed. Your cells die and replace themselves constantly, but now there is now blueprint, nothing to replace what has died. You begin to rot. Your veins fall apart, no morphine. Your marrow can no longer produce white blood cells, you cannot fight infection. This actually probably the only merciful part of it. The worst part is your nerves. They don't really regenerate the way everything else does. So your nervous system stays in tact. You feel all of it.

Yeah, they have him saying that as the one firefighter was just screaming for his life. Amazingly well produced but horrifying that it was real.

I was 10 when it happened and I always knew of it. But I never really knew.

Yeah, they have him saying that as the one firefighter was just screaming for his life. Amazingly well produced but horrifying that it was real.

I was 10 when it happened and I always knew of it. But I never really knew.
Yeah that is a dialogue recap and I suppose anyone that is bothering to read the thread is already watching the series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom