Hear me out | Syracusefan.com

Hear me out

Zepharus

Starter
If you are ADJW, do you leverage your former colleagues to push the narrative on JB should retire? If I am him, I do. this softens the blow and facilitates an easier conversation at the end of the season.

Either way. Clean sweep. Keep Mintz bang the portal, and throw historic money at Nate Oats

If you are ADJW, do you leverage your former colleagues to push the narrative on JB should retire? If I am him, I do. this softens the blow and facilitates an easier conversation at the end of the season.

Either way. Clean sweep. Keep Mintz bang the portal, and throw historic money at Nate Oats
Historic money and Syracuse do not coexist

Yes, for reference USC football did this w the LA Times for Clay Helton. Run that negative article after a home loss to Stanford, fired the next day.

Yes, tell Axe to turn up the heat to 100 for local and any ESPN connections too.

Agree on that everything except Oates is a pipe dream. I'm willing to throw money at a dozen other coaches that are more realistic.

Umm... So ur prediction is something that just happened??

ADJW to JB

1676773930294.gif

LOLOL
Bees, you're one of my all-time favorites on this board. I even stayed silent when you swiped my avatar as your own. ;)
But I also know you're a JB-firster, or at least appear to be, and for the life of me I just can't reconcile why.
I love JB- he's meant a lot to my sports reality over many decades. But surely, even you'd agree it's time, no? And if not...then why not? Just curious.

Bees, you're one of my all-time favorites on this board. I even stayed silent when you swiped my avatar as your own. ;)
But I also know you're a JB-firster, or at least appear to be, and for the life of me I just can't reconcile why.
I love JB- he's meant a lot to my sports reality over many decades. But surely, even you'd agree it's time, no? And if not...then why not? Just curious.

What I laughed at was someone suggesting that JW had Vitale say something on national TV about JB and retirement.

And why did you steal my avatar? Lol.

“Historic money.”

We need to spend on a coach. I fear we will go cheap, then have to buy out a bad contact and then realize we made a mistake and then have to spend the money we should have spent in the first place. So, going cheap will be an expensive mistake.

The problem, of course, is in identifying who to pay. Oats… we needed to be proactive on that and we weren’t and we lost. I wish we knew what was inside his brain, but we don’t. We don’t have the technology. Maybe it was always his dream to coach in the Dome. Maybe he likes Alabama humidity and Hee-Haw. We need to find out, though, and not just concede that we can’t compete with Bama bucks.

Nate Oats has the #1 overall team in college basketball today, after the NCAA pre-tournament ratings were published.

Ship has sailed.

I agree Oats isn’t going to happen no way. I think best we can hope for is Sean Miller but I fear we will have to put up with 2-3 years from an internal hire before we go outside to hire someone by then Miller will be off the table but maybe a whole new list of names will be available.

Nate Oats doesn't have the fashion sense to coach here. All those flamboyant tailored suits would get him run out of town before he even stepped foot inside the Dome. You think people lost it when Obama wore a tan suit?

Nate Oats has the #1 overall team in college basketball today, after the NCAA pre-tournament ratings were published.

Ship has sailed.

Also a murder trial to hang around for next year...

He might be ready for a new city.

Did people not learn anything from the football program? We won’t spend a boatload on a new coach. JB takes a big home team discount. We aren’t about to break the budget to bring in a big name. No way. We will hope to catch lightning in a bottle with an up and comer or an alum.

Did people not learn anything from the football program? We won’t spend a boatload on a new coach. JB takes a big home team discount. We aren’t about to break the budget to bring in a big name. No way. We will hope to catch lightning in a bottle with an up and comer or an alum.
Maybe you're right, but I don't know. The basketball program has competed and succeeded at the highest levels and can again with the right coach. With our football program, it would take more than Nick Saban to compete for ACC titles, let alone the college football playoffs.

Congrats! This made ESPN’s “Not Top 10 Posts of the Week.”

Kudos to the top spot that went to the insinuation that our athletic director needs the help of Dick Vitale to do a campaign relating to managing our staffing situation.

What I laughed at was someone suggesting that JW had Vitale say something on national TV about JB and retirement.

Vitale spent two hours talking about how Judah Mintz needs to come back for another year. I don't think he got those talking point out of thin air.

I missed the JB comments for the most part, had company and Vitale was hard to hear at times.

Dave Bing probably had some advice to his friend on the topic, esp after that game.

Ehh the media moved off of that story pretty quickly and don't even mention it plus they gave him an extension 2 weeks after that incident

Lol... I guess Dickie V. talking about it live with 2 minutes left last nite didn't happen.

“Historic money.”

We need to spend on a coach. I fear we will go cheap, then have to buy out a bad contact and then realize we made a mistake and then have to spend the money we should have spent in the first place. So, going cheap will be an expensive mistake.

The problem, of course, is in identifying who to pay. Oats… we needed to be proactive on that and we weren’t and we lost. I wish we knew what was inside his brain, but we don’t. We don’t have the technology. Maybe it was always his dream to coach in the Dome. Maybe he likes Alabama humidity and Hee-Haw. We need to find out, though, and not just concede that we can’t compete with Bama bucks.
We can pay whatever it takes. We can make up the difference with higher attendance. It’s just a question if the university wants to play in the big leagues anymore. Maybe they have a plan to rent out the upper concourse for Christian revivals or something to make use of the empty space during basketball games. I dunno.

The economics of the Syracuse athletic department are different than most schools. Since we play in such a large basketball arena and a relatively small football stadium, it is critical that we are able to fill the dome for the 20 basketball home games rather than the seven football games. If we can average 22,000 fans per game for 20 home games, assuming each fan spends $100, that’s $44 million per year.