Hey, Cooney deserves a shout-out thread as well ;-) | Syracusefan.com

Hey, Cooney deserves a shout-out thread as well ;-)

omniorange

All Conference
Love Ennis, of course, but Trevor played an important role tonight (and this season) as well. So I thought he deserved his own thread.

He is the only three-point threat we have, and through 8 games so far has hit 26/55, for a .472 clip.

Last year, Southy was our main 3-point threat, through 8 games last year he was 18/43, for a .418 clip.

Cheers,
Neil

Love Ennis, of course, but Trevor played an important role tonight (and this season) as well. So I thought he deserved his own thread.

He is the only three-point threat we have, and through 8 games so far has hit 26/55, for a .472 clip.

Last year, Southy was our main 3-point threat, through 8 games last year he was 18/43, for a .418 clip.

Cheers,
Neil

Yes he does!

Kid is showing a lot more versatility beyond just the shooting, as well. He's handling the ball better both in the open floor and in half court sets. He's playing aggressive defense. And he's showing toughness.

Last edited:

Cheers,
Neil
And this year's schedule is far more difficult. The back court has become our strength.

basketball+potato.jpg

I had a heart attack when Cooney crashed into the basket support. We cannot afford an injury to TC or TE.

On a side note, I hope G starts showing some more offense. He still seems very tentative. I loved his one drive and basket. We need to see more of that aggression,

Cheers,
Neil

This is a great post. I loved JS. But I think the biggest reason the offense has been better this year than last (at least pre-NCAAs) is that Cooney is much better than Southerland. As you point out, both teams depended a lot on one guy to carry most of the load from 3-point range (though I expect Fair and Ennis to be real threats at some point this year, just as Fair and Triche were last year). And Southerland was capable of getting really hot. But he was such a one-dimensional player that if he wasn't on fire, he couldn't bring much. And he could be defended - I have no way of proving this but I'd bet Cooney is taking shots while defended much more often than Southerland, who hit a huge portion of his 3s off dishes from MCW or in transition.

Cooney will come to earth eventually. But I'm not sure it'll matter much - teams aren't going to let him shoot, and he's going to make them pay even if he's not shooting at such a ridiculous pace.

I had a heart attack when Cooney crashed into the basket support. We cannot afford an injury to TC or TE.

On a side note, I hope G starts showing some more offense. He still seems very tentative. I loved his one drive and basket. We need to see more of that aggression,

Concur.

I was surprised how tentative he was to shoot. IU was sagging way off, and it looked like he didn't even want to entertain the idea of shooting an open three.

He did finally pull up for one, but not sure why he took that one that he dribbled into after refusing to take a spot up three.

Very nice drive and finish though. Hopefully we see some more of that - and at least this game he never got his pocket picked in the open court.

We need someone else to make some deep shots. I'm hoping TE uses some of the cupcake games to work on looking for his outside shot more. That will open up his driving and passing lanes.

Cheers,
Neil
His range is not nearly as deep as Suthys but if a game was in the line I'll go w Trevor...Go Cuse!

I thought we were in trouble if he started or got any minutes - I was dead wrong but he sucked last year - this year he has been a total stud and looks like Gerry but slightly better

His sucking was a misconception. He struggled to shoot and couldn't make shots but he was in a position where he had to shoot when he was in there or sit again very shortly. His floor game was pretty good last year and he defended well.

His sucking was a misconception. He struggled to shoot and couldn't make shots but he was in a position where he had to shoot when he was in there or sit again very shortly. His floor game was pretty good last year and he defended well.

He's a much better shooter when he lets the shots come to him. Dribble and force - not so good.

I guess the shaky potatoes thread was not enough. Looking forward to the board tailgate enjoying that case of PBR and Genny Screamers

Trevor's been outstanding thus far. Great defense and his offensive game just continues to improve. I'm glad he's proven all the naysayers wrong. He fought through a hell of a lot of adversity and came out on the other side...I'm glad he did because, no Cooney means no 8-0...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom