Hey cowtown... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hey cowtown...

Oakland said:
Despite that call, i thought the refs benefited us today.

How? It was no different than any other game. Officials suck regardless of whose playing. It's not a "the officials screwed syracuse" thing with me. They are horrible at there jobs and they never have to answer to anyone when they screw up. Theres no accountability. But I guess that'd a societal thing.

Why because you don't agree with him? He's been around a long while and not just here. Guy is a good poster and sometimes I like to read his softer view of the refs because if anything I tend to error way in the other direction. I don't always agree but he has never to my knowledge been an a$$ about it.

Thanks for the kind words, man. I've got a cold one for you, you know, whenever :)

How? It was no different than any other game. Officials suck regardless of whose playing. It's not a "the officials screwed syracuse" thing with me. They are horrible at there jobs and they never have to answer to anyone when they screw up. Theres no accountability. But I guess that'd a societal thing.

Then go join your local association and go to the rookie clinic. I guarantee you'll learn more about basketball in the first half hour than you ever thought there was to know. Then write the exam, learn the mechanics, buy your uniform and get out on the floor. We can always use another good official. And even if you decide you don't like doing it, that bellyfull of humility you're going to get will be good for you.

Or, you can just sit on your ass and complain.

Labatt 50?

I'm quite partial to this one these days :)

Stanley-Park-Belgian-Pilsner.jpg

Damn good beer. I've got one for you, too.

Despite that call, i thought the refs benefited us today.

I think the fouls were almost 2 to 1, them to us. SU is a more skilled team, Miami is very athletic. A perfect recipe for that kind of spread.

Cowtown said:
Then go join your local association and go to the rookie clinic. I guarantee you'll learn more about basketball in the first half hour than you ever thought there was to know. Then write the exam, learn the mechanics, buy your uniform and get out on the floor. We can always use another good official. And even if you decide you don't like doing it, that bellyfull of humility you're going to get will be good for you.

Or, you can just sit on your ass and complain.

I already have a job that takes up a lot of my time. Besides, it wouldn't make a difference. I would want to be the best at it and since I'm not part of the "good ole boys club" I wouldn't get very far.

I already have a job that takes up a lot of my time. Besides, it wouldn't make a difference. I would want to be the best at it and since I'm not part of the "good ole boys club" I wouldn't get very far.

So, door no. 2, huh? That's about what I expected. :noidea:

Cowtown said:
How convenient.

Lol. Love the response. I'll toast a Sam Adams cold snap to you. ...cheers

I don't know the answer to that, SWC. The games I ref don't have television replay. How did Boeheim react? He was actually farther away than any of the officials. If that play is a specified "correctable error," it must be corrected before the ball comes alive again after the first dead ball following the play, which would have been the first dead ball after the ball was taken out of bounds after the basket. If nobody detected it before then, it stands.

But knowing a little about how ref's think, if they reviewed that play, they're probably going to say it was a pass, and thus a 2 point basket. And if I'm JB, I probably accept that.

Not sure I follow on the last point: If you throw a pass from beyond the arc and it happens to go in, is that a two pointer or a three pointer? :noidea:

Not sure I follow on the last point: If you throw a pass from beyond the arc and it happens to go in, is that a two pointer or a three pointer? :noidea:
it's a 3-pter

Yes, as samspann stated, it's a 3 pointer, unless it's touched by someone with 2 pt position (as in, the last place his feet touched the floor), whether it's a catch and flush, or it grazed his wrist(s) and deflected in. What I'm saying is that, if the refs look at it, they'll probably rule first, it was a pass and count it as a three if it went straight in, or a two if it touched someone. Without any real conclusive proof of what happened, that's the easiest, and least likely to be a bigger problem, way out of it. Just IMHO.

On that OB play under two minutes that they looked at (it clearly went off Miami no. 22's knee, and the officials gave the ball back to SU), Fair was freaking clobbered across the arm by no. 22, but the official missed it. On the replay it looked like he got straight-lined. And Greg Anthony was still claiming you couldn't tell, when it was very obvious. And so was the foul, too, and Anthony didn't say a word about that.
I'm glad you mentioned this, I was distracted during this sequence and was wondering whether they were reviewing the clobber or possession. Nothing was said. I think the announcers do a pretty good job of staying out of the refs Kool Aid usually, tough to tell the reason for no comment tho'.

Yes, as samspann stated, it's a 3 pointer, unless it's touched by someone with 2 pt position (as in, the last place his feet touched the floor), whether it's a catch and flush, or it grazed his wrist(s) and deflected in. What I'm saying is that, if the refs look at it, they'll probably rule first, it was a pass and count it as a three if it went straight in, or a two if it touched someone. Without any real conclusive proof of what happened, that's the easiest, and least likely to be a bigger problem, way out of it. Just IMHO.

I'm glad we won by 12. :confused:

I'm glad you mentioned this, I was distracted during this sequence and was wondering whether they were reviewing the clobber or possession. Nothing was said. I think the announcers do a pretty good job of staying out of the refs Kool Aid usually, tough to tell the reason for no comment tho'.

So far as I know, fouls are judgment calls and as such are not reviewable except for the level 1 or level 2 thing in an elbow type incident. Or to check out who hit who in a fight.

So far as I know, fouls are judgment calls and as such are not reviewable except for the level 1 or level 2 thing in an elbow type incident. Or to check out who hit who in a fight.
Was possession on the CJ play reviewable? I wouldn't have thought so. There are lots of close out of bounds calls. The team that didn't get possession would probably always want to have the call reviewed. I was surprised when the call was reversed.

Was possession on the CJ play reviewable? I wouldn't have thought so. There are lots of close out of bounds calls. The team that didn't get possession would probably always want to have the call reviewed. I was surprised when the call was reversed.

A graphic was shown (while they were all huddled over the tv) that explained reviewable calls in the last two minutes, and ball out-of-bounds was one of them. It's an NCAA div. 1 modification, I guess. And of course it only applies where video replay equipment is available. I don't know whether div 3 schools have a half-dozen cameras all over the gym.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom