Hip Hop thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

Just watched this, my first one. I like it. This one was a little technical difficulty challenged, but I'll take it.

Yeah, I think that was the very first one. That was back in April. I remember that was a Saturday Night at a time when we were completely stuck in the house. I think it was the first thing I enjoyed since COVID started.

I hadn’t watched any of them since those first two(Teddy-Babyface being the other) and was amazed by how much better Snoop/DMX was from that technical standpoint. They’ve really got things smoothed out now.

Sad news that Malik B passed. The Roots were at their peak when he was in the group.

When Malik came in rapping with those cymbal crashes - his first time back with The Roots in years sounding as good as ever...that’s been an “I remember where I was and exactly what my reaction and feeling was” type moment for me for years. Everytime I hear this song that part when Malik starts rapping takes me right back to that exact moment in 2006. Music can be powerful stuff, smh.

This one, which was about Malik, hit me in the chest back when it came out. Even moreso now.

Conway and Method Man. Conway’s album is supposed to be coming soon(think I saw early September). Looking forward to that. Method Man still sounds great.

I'm a little late on this one from Conway, but man that 2nd verse...

Yes! Heard that one when it came out but kinda forgot it as a lot of stuff was coming out. That second verse was a standout! Last year Benny was my favorite, but this year Conway might be passing him for me.

And WSG’s HWH 7 and Pray for Paris were both top notch. Haven’t even gotten to his newest one yet beyond a couple songs. Amazing how they manage to be so prolific without putting out garbage.

I see there’s a Firm reunion song on this Nas album. AZ, Foxy, and Cormega. Interesting. Kinda feel like the Trackmasters gotta produce that though, but I have no idea if they’re even active.

I like the first song I heard from the album. Not sure what to make of Hit-boy as the producer. If I was going to pick a one producer Nas album, he wouldn’t be on my radar. But admittedly I haven’t paid a lot of attention to him, and he may catch me by surprise.

Boldy James first album on Griselda Records is out.

loving this one:
His “Price of Tea in China” album he did with Alchemist last winter was a strong one too. Heck of a year for him.

Thoughts on Kings Disease? Now that I've had a week to marinate with it;
I'd say 3.75 out of 5. Definitely not a classic, but very solid. Production is very good with good beats. His best album since, Life Is Good. Blue Benz, Car#85, The Definition, 10 Points, are probably my main tracks. Car#85 had me reminiscing, we called them hood cabs, but yeah. Not really familiar with Hit-Boy, not sold one way or another, but thought he did a solid job overall. Having Brucie B on, The Definition, was a great touch.

Thoughts on Kings Disease? Now that I've had a week to marinate with it;
I'd say 3.75 out of 5. Definitely not a classic, but very solid. Production is very good with good beats. His best album since, Life Is Good. Blue Benz, Car#85, The Definition, 10 Points, are probably my main tracks. Car#85 had me reminiscing, we called them hood cabs, but yeah. Not really familiar with Hit-Boy, not sold one way or another, but thought he did a solid job overall. Having Brucie B on, The Definition, was a great touch.

Agreed! 3.75/5 sounds about right. I don’t know that there’s any one great song that I would put on a best of Nas album, but there’s nothing bad either.

I’ve been playing the album through mostly and then King’s Disease, Car 85, Blue Benz, All Bad, The Cure, and Full Circle have probably gotten the most replays for me. Really like the Spicy beat too.

Only songs I’m tempted to skip sometimes are Replace Me and Til The War is Won.

Agreed on Hit-Boy. I knew the name and my impression was that he was a “modern” mainstream producer which often isn’t up my alley so I wasn’t overly excited for him based on that but he did a nice job.

Just heard a new Conway song produced by Hit-Boy off his upcoming album too that I like.

Also been listening to the new Lox album that just came out yesterday.

I’m loving this song, produced by Large Professor and featuring Benny and WestSide Gunn.

OrangeDW I’ve got a lot of catching up to do in this thread, but going back to the old Kanye thread... I’m finally getting up with Exhibit C.

The Blinding and Universal Soldier jumped out at me, still have more to listen to. The latter, between cooking dinner and walking the dog, I must have listened to about 6 times.

New Conway the Machine album on 9/11
New Benny the Butcher album on 9/25
New Westside Gunn album on 10/2

Griselda is the new No Limit! Except they don’t suck. And they don’t have those gaudy album covers.

Last edited:
This one, which was about Malik, hit me in the chest back when it came out. Even moreso now.

Oh man I remember being in a band in HS and trying to get the rhythm of that song down and it was impossible to get everyone on the same page

The producer lineup for Conway’s album is nuts.

Of course Daringer.
Beat Butcha who was all over the group album Griselda did.

But then you got the 90s LEGENDS: DJ Premier, Havoc, and....Erick Sermon and Da Rockwilder!!!

Plus my guy Khrysis!

And Hit-Boy did a song for him which already came out and is strong.

edit: and Alchemist!!

Highly anticipating this. Can’t wait to listen tomorrow.

Last edited:
The producer lineup for Conway’s album is nuts.

Of course Daringer.
Beat Butcha who was all over the group album Griselda did.

But then you got the 90s LEGENDS: DJ Premier, Havoc, and...Erick Sermon and Da Rockwilder!!!

Plus my guy Khrysis!

And Hit-Boy did a song for him which already came out and is strong.

Highly anticipating this. Can’t wait to listen tomorrow.

Been kinda digging deep lately in terms of anything and everything not politically related per se.
my current playlist has
Jonwayne
Dangelo
Dominic Fike who I think will fall victim to “selling out”
El-p’s “Capone” soundtrack tracks
It’s a weird time so whatever works... works

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics