Hip Hop thread | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Hip Hop thread

Been kinda digging deep lately in terms of anything and everything not politically related per se.
my current playlist has
Jonwayne
Dangelo
Dominic Fike who I think will fall victim to “selling out”
El-p’s “Capone” soundtrack tracks
It’s a weird time so whatever works... works

Do you know about Griselda Records(from Buffalo)? They mentioned UTICA on their group album last fall, lol.

That D’Angelo album that came out like 5 years ago was a pleasant surprise. Really liked that album, especially “The Charade”.

Do you know about Griselda Records(from Buffalo)? They mentioned UTICA on their group album last fall, lol.

That D’Angelo album that came out like 5 years ago was a pleasant surprise. Really liked that album, especially “The Charade”.
Lol haven’t check them out yet but will. I’m really enjoying the existential vocalists lately, oddly. Seems so maybe silly at first listen and then after the second third I’m like ... ahhhhhh ok.

So I think I like Conway’s album better than Nas’s.

“Seen Everything But Jesus” to me is just that standout track that Nas didn’t really have on this new one.

And I LOVE the production. He kept the core Griselda guys in Daringer, Alchemist, and Beat Butcha, but then you’ve got guys like Havoc, Premo, Erick Sermon and Rockwilder, and Khrysis who bring something a little different...but still fit the aesthetic. And Hit Boy too - I think I like the beat he did here better than any of the ones on Nas album.

Obviously Conway is not the MC that Nas is, but he’s good. Strong project IMO.

So I think I like Conway’s album better than Nas’s.

“Seen Everything But Jesus” to me is just that standout track that Nas didn’t really have on this new one.

And I LOVE the production. He kept the core Griselda guys in Daringer, Alchemist, and Beat Butcha, but then you’ve got guys like Havoc, Premo, Erick Sermon and Rockwilder, and Khrysis who bring something a little different...but still fit the aesthetic. And Hit Boy too - I think I like the beat he did here better than any of the ones on Nas album.

Obviously Conway is not the MC that Nas is, but he’s good. Strong project IMO.
Finally got to listen to this a lot. 4/5. Agree with everything you said. The producers really shined on it. Conway's a really strong lyricist. One knock on Griselda I'd say, is they're not very versatile, sort of type cast in their style, but he solved that on Anza and another one I'm forgetting. Of course I didn't miss this;
I had rappers in my section tryna drink up my bottles like groupies
Ain't no rapper stoppin' my two-three
That's the zone I'm in, I write with a golden pen

Finally got to listen to this a lot. 4/5. Agree with everything you said. The producers really shined on it. Conway's a really strong lyricist. One knock on Griselda I'd say, is they're not very versatile, sort of type cast in their style, but he solved that on Anza and another one I'm forgetting. Of course I didn't miss this;
I had rappers in my section tryna drink up my bottles like groupies
Ain't no rapper stoppin' my two-three
That's the zone I'm in, I write with a golden pen

Yeah, of the 3 I think Conway has the most potential versatility in both his flow and content...he just hasn’t used it as much as he could. Like you said,he did it a bit more on here.

It was driving me nuts trying to place what Biggie song the drums for “Jesus Khrysis” came from. Finally came to me - it was “Dead Wrong”.

So Benny is not putting an album out this Friday. Album is still in the works though. Thats ok, Conway made an album with repeat value.

Former UNC PG Quentin Thomas raps under the name GQ. He just put an EP that’s pretty good. 9th Wonder on production. This is the single.

WSG’s album was “eh”, but Benny’s!!? This is better than Nas’s album and I’m leaning towards better than Conway’s too but I gotta give it more time.

I’m so behind on music I’m still catching up from like ten years ago

I had a stretch where for a few years I hardly listened to anything new, and got in the habit of just listening to the same stuff I’d heard hundreds of times. Been keeping up the last 2-3 years though and catching up on stuff I missed.

First time I’ve heard Ras Kass in a long time...not used to his voice sounding like that! It was still good,just different from how I remember him sounding.

Apollo Brown is a great producer. This is one of my favorites from him.

This new Busta Rhymes album...

FIRE
Funny, my first time listening was today. Actually I’m only half way through. Gotta love some Busta Bust though! I remember NBA all star weekend here in Denver, there was so many shows going on at once every night, the crowds were thinned out. I saw him perform at my old club I used to bartend at, and there was only like 100 people there. Great times. His energy is always contagious. He’s an ambassador. First listened when he was debuting w Leaders of the New School.

This new Busta Rhymes album...

FIRE

So far I’ve only heard the one with Kendrick and the one with Rapsody, and I love both of them.

Looking forward to checking out the album today while driving around and running errands.

So far I’ve only heard the one with Kendrick and the one with Rapsody, and I love both of them.

Looking forward to checking out the album today while driving around and running errands.
“Czar” ft M.O.P. straight into “Outta My Mind” ft Bell Biv Devoe had me geeking out

All H0T Takes here off one listen through: My initial impression of Busta is 3.5/5. Maybe 3.75. If you cut the fat and kept the 12 or so best tracks, it’s a great album.

Favorites are the 2 I mentioned earlier, the one with Q-Tip, and the one with Mary J. Hate the song with Mariah. It’s part 2 of that garbage they made that the radio played 24-7 back in my college days. Love Chris Rock but he ain’t adding anything here. Too much talking and extra stuff throughout the album. Strong production and guest list, and Busta still raps well for the most part. Rakim sounded good!

Gotta play the album more though.

Benny the Butcher was shot in the leg over the weekend, in Houston

As insane as it is to say this, I’m glad it was only the leg and that he’s still with us. Hope he recovers fully. Really sucks - guy is mid-late 30s and is seeing some real major success in his career and then this happens.

So when did the Grammies get a clue about hip hop? The nominees for best album this year:

Nas-King’s Disease
Royce Da 5’9 - The Allegory
Freddie Gibbs and Madlib - Alfredo
Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony
D Smoke - Black Habits

I don’t know who D Smoke is so I can’t speak on that, but the other 4 are legit albums from credible artists.

When did the Grammies start getting it right...or anywhere close to right...when it comes to hip hop? Glad to see it. Maybe I’ll actually pay attention now.

So now that I've got a good amount of time; Benny, I was expecting more from him, more energy, creativity, etc. 3.5/5.
Agree completely with DW about Busta Rhymes, his album was really brought down by the skits with C. Rock. Still very solid overall 3.75/5.
DW, I was wondering your take on Black Thought's new one? I've never been into him like some others, no reason behind it really, but I thought it was really solid 3.75

So now that I've got a good amount of time; Benny, I was expecting more from him, more energy, creativity, etc. 3.5/5.
Agree completely with DW about Busta Rhymes, his album was really brought down by the skits with C. Rock. Still very solid overall 3.75/5.
DW, I was wondering your take on Black Thought's new one? I've never been into him like some others, no reason behind it really, but I thought it was really solid 3.75

Gotta say...I liked Benny’s album more initially than I do now. I’d go like 3.75 now. Some of those songs didn’t stick past the initial few listens. Conway’s album is still holding up though. I think Hit-Boy is just a “limited ceiling” producer. Nothing sucks, but a lot of it just doesn’t stick long term.

I am a big Black Thought fan, but the new one hasn’t grabbed me as much as Vol. 2 did. I gotta listen more though.

So this was my first year with Spotify. Don’t know if this is an annual thing but they hit me with a bunch of my year end listening habits stats the other day.

My top 5 most listened artists in 2020 on Spotify:
1. Little Brother
2. L.E.G.A.C.Y.
3. The Alchemist
4. Nas
5. Conway The Machine

So this was my first year with Spotify. Don’t know if this is an annual thing but they hit me with a bunch of my year end listening habits stats the other day.

My top 5 most listened artists in 2020 on Spotify:
1. Little Brother
2. L.E.G.A.C.Y.
3. The Alchemist
4. Nas
5. Conway The Machine
Yeah they do that every year. I just got mine too.
1. Nas
2. Conway
3. Benny

Every now and then this song pops in my head. Amazing. Not a real video either, but whoever put it together did a great job IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom