Historical Net Points by specific positions | Syracusefan.com

Historical Net Points by specific positions

SWC75

Bored Historian
I decided to take another look at historical net points on a position-by-position basis: what is typical for a starter-quality player at each position. I’m looking at anyone who averaged 20 minutes a game and just at his net points, (having already posted the numbers and formula used to compute them). I’m now listing the players as point guard, shooting guards, small forward, power forwards and centers so we can look at the norms for those positions. I’m interpreting where those players belong by my memory of them, how the media guide lists than and presuming that the guard with the most assists is a point man and the forward with the most rebounds is the power forward. If a player is playing out of position, (such as Marek: really a small forward playing center), I’ll list him at his natural position. If we had a three-guard line-up, I’ll list them as guards, with the high assist man as the point guard. Some of our best teams have essentially had two power forwards. Again, players are listed only once: by the highest NP/40 rating they had in their careers. The year is when the season was completes: 1980-81 is ‘81’.

CENTERS

Rony Seikaly 87 22.4
Rick Jackson 11 22.1
Etan Thomas 99 21.9
Rakeem Christmas 15 21.6
Danny Schayes 81 20.3
LeRon Ellis 91 19.4
Conrad McRae 93 19.1
Arinze Onuaku 10 18.5
Otis Hill 97 17.8
Darryl Watkins 07 16.6
Fab Melo 12 16.1
Bourama Sidibe 20 15.8
Craig Forth 04 14.5
Paschal Chukwu 18 14.0
Average 18.6

POWER FORWARDS

Derrick Coleman 89 28.5
Billy Owens 91 26.7
Carmelo Anthony 03 22.9
John Wallace 95 22.7
Wes Johnson 10 22.4
Leo Rautins 83 21.3
Hakim Warrick 05 20.5
Wendell Alexis 86 20.3
Damone Brown 01 20.0
Paul Harris 08 18.9
Tyler Lydon 17 18.5
Arinze Onuaku 08 17.3
Ryan Blackwell 98 17.2
CJ Fair 13 16.3
Donte Greene 08 16.3
Tyler Roberson 16 15.4
Jerami Grant 14 15.3
Chris McCullough 15 15.2
Sean Kerins 84 15.0
Ron Payton 82 14.9
Terrence Roberts 07 14.5
Andre Hawkins 84 14.2
Oshae Brissett 18 13.9
Quincy Guerrier 20 12.5 (He’s 20.7 so far this year.)
Average 18.4

SMALL FORWARDS

Eric Santifer 83 21.0
Rafael Addison 86 20.1
Stevie Thompson 89 19.9
Lawrence Moten 94 19.6
Dave Johnson 91 18.3
Preston Shumpert 02 18.3
Demetris Nichols 07 17.9
Elijah Hughes 20 17.3 (Alan Griffin has 17.8 so far this year.)
Kris Joseph 10 16.6
Tony Bruin 83 16.5
James Southerland 13 16.4
Todd Burgan 98 16.2
Jason Cipolla 97 16.2
Josh Pace 04 16.2
Andrew White 17 15.3
Michael Gbinije 16 14.9
Marek Dolezaj 20 14.3 (He’s 14.9 so far this year)
Kueth Duany 02 13.3
Luke Jackson 95 12.8
Howie Triche 87 12.7
Marius Janulis 97 9.8
Malachi Richardson 16 9.7
Average 16.1

SHOOTING GUARDS

Dion Waiters 12 17.3
Andy Rautins 10 15.4
Greg Monroe 87 14.5
Brandon Triche 12 13.9
Eric Devendorf 08 13.3
Tyus Battle 19 12.7
Matt Roe 89 12.0
Marty Headd 81 11.6
Trevor Cooney 14 11.5
DeShaun Williams 02 10.7
Mike Hopkins 93 10.4
Tony Bland 00 10.1
Buddy Boeheim 20 10.0 (He’s at 9.8 so far this year.)
Michael Brown 85 10.0
Average 13.3 13.3

POINT GUARDS

Sherman Douglas 87 21.1
Pearl Washington 86 20.9
Billy Edelin 04 16.9
Adrian Autry 94 16.8 (Kadary Richmond is at 17.5 for far this year.)
Jonny Flynn 09 16.7
Scoop Jardine 10 16.5
Michael Carter-Williams 13 16.1
Tyler Ennis 14 14.7
John Gillon 17 14.4
Gerry McNamara 06 14.2
Michael Lloyd 95 13.3
Jason Hart 99 12.8
Joe Girard 20 11.8 (He’s also at 11.8 this year.)
Alan Griffin 01 11.8
Lazarus Sims 96 11.8
James Thues 02 11.2
Gene Waldron 83 11.1
Frank Howard 18 9.8
Josh Wright 07 9.8
Eddie Moss 81 9.6
Michael Edwards 90 9.5
Kaleb Joseph 15 6.7
Average 13.5 13.5

Comments: Of the 95 players who have played at least 20 minutes per game in the last 40 seasons, 88 of them have averaged 10.0 NP/40, confirming that that is a good indicator of a player who is good enough to start, even if someone else might be better. The closer you are to the basket, both vertically and horizontally, the better chance you have to accumulate the positive numbers that determine ‘net points’ and to avoid the negatives numbers. The big ticket items are points, missed field goals, rebounds and assists. If fouls are a big ticket item, you aren’t on these lists because you aren’t playing 20+ minutes a game. And, again, there are many things that aren’t recorded in the box score that matter, although the most statistically productive players tend to grade highly in those areas, as well.

Joe Girard is hanging with Lazarus Sims and Alan Griffin 1.0 as a point guard, although his skill set is closer to that of GMAC and John Gillon, (whose numbers are form their senior years). Sims was a non-scorer who did a great job running a team that made it to the national championship game and, as a bigger player, contributed much more to the defense helped us get there. Griffin was of a similar size but couldn’t shoot. However, he was much more athletic and actually recorded a triple-double. (he also made one of the best blocks I’ve ever seen.

Kadary Richmond clearly has a chance to be one of the best guards we’ve ever had here – if he stays here long enough, especially if he can develop a jump shot.

I have the same thoughts about Quincy Guerrier. He’s improved so much that he could become an All-American – but will he still be here when he gets that good.

Buddy Boeheim has gone 9.9/10.0/9.8 and will probably stay at that level, although he has developed some moves to the basket we didn’t see as a freshman. It’s hard for a shooting guard to put up big NP numbers. He can score but he’s shooting from farthest out and so will miss more shots, too. It’s hard to do a lot of rebounding out there and he’s not going to get a lot of assists. He can steal the ball but won’t get blocks. His turnovers and fouls should be low. But it’s basically points score minus shotts missed and that’s not going to get you a lot of NP. Michael Brown was a good comparison as they were about the same size. The Matt Roe comparison has been made but Matt in his beat year hit 47% of his three pointers! He benefits from having NBA-caliber big men inside who had to be covered and sometime double covered. Defense can go out to cover Buddy and not get burned so much inside.

Marek Dolezaj’s numbers are obviously impacted by the fact that we can’t play him at forward as we have no center. We haven’t found out what he could do playing full-time at his natural position, which I think is small forward, not power forward.

Alan Griffin has been so statistically productive that you wonder what he could accomplish if he ever learns JB’s offensive and defensive schemes. I also think that with a healthy Bourama, our best line-up would have bene Sidibe/Guerrier/Dolezaj/Griffin/Richmond. They might not have been as good early as a line-up with the returning backcourt but by now they’d be a top ten team and a possible national champion.

I decided to take another look at historical net points on a position-by-position basis: what is typical for a starter-quality player at each position. I’m looking at anyone who averaged 20 minutes a game and just at his net points, (having already posted the numbers and formula used to compute them). I’m now listing the players as point guard, shooting guards, small forward, power forwards and centers so we can look at the norms for those positions. I’m interpreting where those players belong by my memory of them, how the media guide lists than and presuming that the guard with the most assists is a point man and the forward with the most rebounds is the power forward. If a player is playing out of position, (such as Marek: really a small forward playing center), I’ll list him at his natural position. If we had a three-guard line-up, I’ll list them as guards, with the high assist man as the point guard. Some of our best teams have essentially had two power forwards. Again, players are listed only once: by the highest NP/40 rating they had in their careers. The year is when the season was completes: 1980-81 is ‘81’.

CENTERS

Rony Seikaly 87 22.4
Rick Jackson 11 22.1
Etan Thomas 99 21.9
Rakeem Christmas 15 21.6
Danny Schayes 81 20.3
LeRon Ellis 91 19.4
Conrad McRae 93 19.1
Arinze Onuaku 10 18.5
Otis Hill 97 17.8
Darryl Watkins 07 16.6
Fab Melo 12 16.1
Bourama Sidibe 20 15.8
Craig Forth 04 14.5
Paschal Chukwu 18 14.0
Average 18.6

POWER FORWARDS

Derrick Coleman 89 28.5
Billy Owens 91 26.7
Carmelo Anthony 03 22.9
John Wallace 95 22.7
Wes Johnson 10 22.4
Leo Rautins 83 21.3
Hakim Warrick 05 20.5
Wendell Alexis 86 20.3
Damone Brown 01 20.0
Paul Harris 08 18.9
Tyler Lydon 17 18.5
Arinze Onuaku 08 17.3
Ryan Blackwell 98 17.2
CJ Fair 13 16.3
Donte Greene 08 16.3
Tyler Roberson 16 15.4
Jerami Grant 14 15.3
Chris McCullough 15 15.2
Sean Kerins 84 15.0
Ron Payton 82 14.9
Terrence Roberts 07 14.5
Andre Hawkins 84 14.2
Oshae Brissett 18 13.9
Quincy Guerrier 20 12.5 (He’s 20.7 so far this year.)
Average 18.4

SMALL FORWARDS

Eric Santifer 83 21.0
Rafael Addison 86 20.1
Stevie Thompson 89 19.9
Lawrence Moten 94 19.6
Dave Johnson 91 18.3
Preston Shumpert 02 18.3
Demetris Nichols 07 17.9
Elijah Hughes 20 17.3 (Alan Griffin has 17.8 so far this year.)
Kris Joseph 10 16.6
Tony Bruin 83 16.5
James Southerland 13 16.4
Todd Burgan 98 16.2
Jason Cipolla 97 16.2
Josh Pace 04 16.2
Andrew White 17 15.3
Michael Gbinije 16 14.9
Marek Dolezaj 20 14.3 (He’s 14.9 so far this year)
Kueth Duany 02 13.3
Luke Jackson 95 12.8
Howie Triche 87 12.7
Marius Janulis 97 9.8
Malachi Richardson 16 9.7
Average 16.1

SHOOTING GUARDS

Dion Waiters 12 17.3
Andy Rautins 10 15.4
Greg Monroe 87 14.5
Brandon Triche 12 13.9
Eric Devendorf 08 13.3
Tyus Battle 19 12.7
Matt Roe 89 12.0
Marty Headd 81 11.6
Trevor Cooney 14 11.5
DeShaun Williams 02 10.7
Mike Hopkins 93 10.4
Tony Bland 00 10.1
Buddy Boeheim 20 10.0 (He’s at 9.8 so far this year.)
Michael Brown 85 10.0
Average 13.3 13.3

POINT GUARDS

Sherman Douglas 87 21.1
Pearl Washington 86 20.9
Billy Edelin 04 16.9
Adrian Autry 94 16.8 (Kadary Richmond is at 17.5 for far this year.)
Jonny Flynn 09 16.7
Scoop Jardine 10 16.5
Michael Carter-Williams 13 16.1
Tyler Ennis 14 14.7
John Gillon 17 14.4
Gerry McNamara 06 14.2
Michael Lloyd 95 13.3
Jason Hart 99 12.8
Joe Girard 20 11.8 (He’s also at 11.8 this year.)
Alan Griffin 01 11.8
Lazarus Sims 96 11.8
James Thues 02 11.2
Gene Waldron 83 11.1
Frank Howard 18 9.8
Josh Wright 07 9.8
Eddie Moss 81 9.6
Michael Edwards 90 9.5
Kaleb Joseph 15 6.7
Average 13.5 13.5

Comments: Of the 95 players who have played at least 20 minutes per game in the last 40 seasons, 88 of them have averaged 10.0 NP/40, confirming that that is a good indicator of a player who is good enough to start, even if someone else might be better. The closer you are to the basket, both vertically and horizontally, the better chance you have to accumulate the positive numbers that determine ‘net points’ and to avoid the negatives numbers. The big ticket items are points, missed field goals, rebounds and assists. If fouls are a big ticket item, you aren’t on these lists because you aren’t playing 20+ minutes a game. And, again, there are many things that aren’t recorded in the box score that matter, although the most statistically productive players tend to grade highly in those areas, as well.

Joe Girard is hanging with Lazarus Sims and Alan Griffin 1.0 as a point guard, although his skill set is closer to that of GMAC and John Gillon, (whose numbers are form their senior years). Sims was a non-scorer who did a great job running a team that made it to the national championship game and, as a bigger player, contributed much more to the defense helped us get there. Griffin was of a similar size but couldn’t shoot. However, he was much more athletic and actually recorded a triple-double. (he also made one of the best blocks I’ve ever seen.

Kadary Richmond clearly has a chance to be one of the best guards we’ve ever had here – if he stays here long enough, especially if he can develop a jump shot.

I have the same thoughts about Quincy Guerrier. He’s improved so much that he could become an All-American – but will he still be here when he gets that good.

Buddy Boeheim has gone 9.9/10.0/9.8 and will probably stay at that level, although he has developed some moves to the basket we didn’t see as a freshman. It’s hard for a shooting guard to put up big NP numbers. He can score but he’s shooting from farthest out and so will miss more shots, too. It’s hard to do a lot of rebounding out there and he’s not going to get a lot of assists. He can steal the ball but won’t get blocks. His turnovers and fouls should be low. But it’s basically points score minus shotts missed and that’s not going to get you a lot of NP. Michael Brown was a good comparison as they were about the same size. The Matt Roe comparison has been made but Matt in his beat year hit 47% of his three pointers! He benefits from having NBA-caliber big men inside who had to be covered and sometime double covered. Defense can go out to cover Buddy and not get burned so much inside.

Marek Dolezaj’s numbers are obviously impacted by the fact that we can’t play him at forward as we have no center. We haven’t found out what he could do playing full-time at his natural position, which I think is small forward, not power forward.

Alan Griffin has been so statistically productive that you wonder what he could accomplish if he ever learns JB’s offensive and defensive schemes. I also think that with a healthy Bourama, our best line-up would have bene Sidibe/Guerrier/Dolezaj/Griffin/Richmond. They might not have been as good early as a line-up with the returning backcourt but by now they’d be a top ten team and a possible national champion.

It's really amazing what a freaking beast DC was. And Billy too.

Makes me sad about Sidibe, because if we could have somehow had a full season of the guy who played the last 6 games last year, then he could have been much higher up that list.

Buddy is an entirely serviceable SG, who plays WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many minutes for his skillset.

Also - the 3pt line was a lot closer when Matt Roe was letting them fly.
(and he was the 5th option that opposing D's had to look out for, so they didn't)

Your stat kinda proves my point that "peak Red Autry" was actually a better player than "peak GMac".
And that Sherm is the best PG in Syracuse history, not Pearl.
As much as many fans would debate and dispute those points.

Good stuff, as always.

Look at buddy case closed! And all the clueless fans that want to see less of him and Joe and more of Richmond Griffin and look for other options to fill the void of Sidibe

Last edited:
Sidibe/Guerrier/Dolezaj/Griffin/Richmond this was the whole basis of how this conversation started about Buddy. It was if and when Sidibe came back or you play a center and God for bid address your biggest weakness rebounding and defense !

Then the question would be who was going to sit and everybody pointed to Griffin or Marek

I just thought that was crazy and Buddy would have been the right choice! We know that wasn’t going to happen. If this doesn’t get some fans frustrated then they’re just brainwashed! Jim caught a break actually in wanting to play his son so many minutes in dealing with and fortunate situation in Sidbe!

I've had board debates about how great Raf Addison was, I'll rest my case. Erich Santifer and Dion Waiters say hello . Surprised about Malachi but not about Oshae. Great stuff as always Steve.

Roberson above Jerami and McCullough

*disgusted JB face*

Thanks for taking the time to contribute these threads, its a large part of what makes a good board great.

Sidibe/Guerrier/Dolezaj/Griffin/Richmond this was the whole basis of how this conversation started about Buddy. It was if and when Sidibe came back or you play a center and God for bid address your biggest weakness rebounding and defense !

Then the question would be who was going to sit and everybody pointed to Griffin or Marek

I just thought that was crazy and Buddy would have been the right choice! We know that wasn’t going to happen. If this doesn’t get some fans frustrated then they’re just brainwashed! Jim caught a break actually in wanting to play his son so many minutes in dealing with and fortunate situation in Sidbe!

I think that he's really upset about being told that Jesse Edwards should play more. But...

The minutes against Clemson:

Sidibe 11
Dolezaj 37
Guerrier 34
Griffin 26
Boeheim 35
Girard 25
Richmond 28
Newton 4

Griffin lost Sidibe's minutes, not Boeheim.

Interesting how the top scoring forwards are mostly from less recent teams and top scoring guards are from more recent teams. What accounts for that?

Interesting how the top scoring forwards are mostly from less recent teams and top scoring guards are from more recent teams. What accounts for that?
Shift to ISO offenses perhaps

I think that he's really upset about being told that Jesse Edwards should play more. But...

The minutes against Clemson:

Sidibe 11
Dolezaj 37
Guerrier 34
Griffin 26
Boeheim 35
Girard 25
Richmond 28
Newton 4

Griffin lost Sidibe's minutes, not Boeheim.
The biggest point that nobody’s talking about is if Buddy and Joe were just average rebounders like other guards we’ve had in the past we could probably survive without a big center that rebounds. Our guards are below average or forwards are probably above average and our center is way below average we are not a good rebounding team.

The fact that we don’t try other lineups that could address rebounding issues shows that Jim needs to go

Wonder what would be the np for pre JB greats and also Louie/Bouie.

The biggest point that nobody’s talking about is if Buddy and Joe were just average rebounders like other guards we’ve had in the past we could probably survive without a big center that rebounds. Our guards are below average or forwards are probably above average and our center is way below average we are not a good rebounding team.

The fact that we don’t try other lineups that could address rebounding issues shows that Jim needs to go

For Syracuse standards this isn’t even one of our worst rebounding teams. It doesn’t matter who the guards are we will always stink at rebounding. We had Battle and Howard there two years ago and gave up more offensive rebounds than we do now.

For Syracuse standards this isn’t even one of our worst rebounding teams. It doesn’t matter who the guards are we will always stink at rebounding. We had Battle and Howard there two years ago and gave up more offensive rebounds than we do now.
If you put Griffin in the backcourt you can put more size in the front court which helps rebounding Einstein

If you put Griffin in the backcourt you can put more size in the front court which helps rebounding Einstein
In fact since were on the topic of rebounding we could have a great rebounding team with any center/Marek/Quincy/Kadary and Griffin

Einstein aye? For someone who follows stats so well you aren’t very attuned to our horrible defensive rebounding stats every year. It’s system related, not personnel. This team rebounds a higher percentage of defensive rebounds than all the teams from 2009-13.

In fact since were on the topic of rebounding we could have a great rebounding team with any center/Marek/Quincy/Kadary and Griffin

Fab/CJ/Joseph/waiters/Triche/Scoop couldn’t freaking rebound. Just go look at Ken Pomeroy if you don’t believe me.

Wonder what would be the np for pre JB greats and also Louie/Bouie.

I don't have complete numbers for years before 1980-81 so I can't make a direct comparison but using what we do have in per game averages it would look something like this:

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball 1979-1980 (orangehoops.org)

Bouie: 16.1p 8.1r 0.8a ?s 2.4b = +27.4 3.3mfg 1.9mfg ?to 3.4pf = -8.6 = 18.8NP
Orr: 16.0p 8.5r 3.5a ?s ?b = +28.0 4.8mfg 0.6mfg ?to 2.5pf = -7.9 = 20.1NP
Santifer: 10.7p 3.3r 1.5a 1.1s ?b = +16.6 4.3mfg 0.8mft ?to 2.1pf = -7.2 = 9.4NP
Headd 12.0p 1.3r 2.4a ?s ?b = +15.7 4.0mfg 0.5mft ?to 1.8pf = -6.3 = 9.4NP
Moss 6.1p 2.8r 5.8a 2.5s ?b = +17.2 2.4mfg 0.6mft 0to 3.0pf = -6.0 = 11.2NP

Steals, blocks and turnovers are not big ticket items statistically but they approximately cancel each other out. Without minutes, there's no point in evaluating non-starters and Santifer shared the small forward spot with Bruin. Even guys like Louie and Bouie didn't play 40.0 minutes a game so their NP are lower than they should have been.

I use the formula FGA - O-rebs + TO + (.475 x FTA) to determine possessions. Here how that goes with the current team:

1101 FGA - 188 O-Rebs + 209 TO + (.475 x 338 FTA) = 1,282.55 possession in 18 games = 71.25 SU possessions per game. Since possessions alternate, that's an average of 142.50555 or 143 total possessions per game.

I'd love to be able to do a similar comp for this team:

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball 1965-1966 (orangehoops.org)

But you will notice that Offensive rebounds and turnovers are within the same range. You can get an idea of the total possessions per game with this:

2271 FGA + (.475 x 705 FTA) = 2,608.875 / 28 games = 93.066964 possessions per game X 2= 186.13392. The 1965-66 team was playing 40 minutes games with 43 more possessions per game than this year's team. That's 30% more. it's like playing 12 extra minutes. It must have been fun to watch.

By the way:

Dave BIng 28.4p 10.8r 6.6a ?s ?b = +45.8 9.3mfg 1.6mft ?to 2.2pf = -13.1 = 32.7NP

Jim Boeheim 14.6p 2.8r 3.1a ?s ?b = +20.5 4.9mfg 0.8mft ?to 1.7pf = -7.4 = 13.1NP

Sidibie/Guerrier/Dolezaj/Griffin/Richmond was our best potential line-up: would JB have used that and put Buddy on the bench? Without Sidibe, Dolezaj/Guerrier/Griffin/Boeheim or Girard/Richmond was our best line-up. JB went with the two returning starters in the backcourt and has played Richmond a lot. I would like to have seen him put Richmond in the starting line-up when Joe was struggling. Richmond is better against a man-for-man team, Joe against a zone. JB will go with whoever is playing best on a particular night. Unfortunately, playing Anselem, Edwards or Ajak extensively was not an option, based on what he saw in practice and in games.

Would Einstein even fit in the hoop?

Fab/CJ/Joseph/waiters/Triche/Scoop couldn’t freaking rebound. Just go look at Ken Pomeroy if you don’t believe me.
It’s about going from worst to bad not from bad to good. I’m well aware of the stats. The point is we don’t have to come all the way to a strength just work on your weakness

Sidibie/Guerrier/Dolezaj/Griffin/Richmond was our best potential line-up: would JB have used that and put Buddy on the bench? Without Sidibe, Dolezaj/Guerrier/Griffin/Boeheim or Girard/Richmond was our best line-up. JB went with the two returning starters in the backcourt and has played Richmond a lot. I would like to have seen him put Richmond in the starting line-up when Joe was struggling. Richmond is better against a man-for-man team, Joe against a zone. JB will go with whoever is playing best on a particular night. Unfortunately, playing Anselem, Edwards or Ajak extensively was not an option, based on what he saw in practice and in games.
People can’t deny that we start eight out of every 10 games behind slow and giving Up a high percentage of three-pointers getting crushed on the boards flat on our fence this year particularly but in many years past I’ve been tracking it if we start Richmond it would help and I’m normally not the guy to say start this guy over that guy.

I don't have complete numbers for years before 1980-81 so I can't make a direct comparison but using what we do have in per game averages it would look something like this:

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball 1979-1980 (orangehoops.org)

Bouie: 16.1p 8.1r 0.8a ?s 2.4b = +27.4 3.3mfg 1.9mfg ?to 3.4pf = -8.6 = 18.8NP
Orr: 16.0p 8.5r 3.5a ?s ?b = +28.0 4.8mfg 0.6mfg ?to 2.5pf = -7.9 = 20.1NP
Santifer: 10.7p 3.3r 1.5a 1.1s ?b = +16.6 4.3mfg 0.8mft ?to 2.1pf = -7.2 = 9.4NP
Headd 12.0p 1.3r 2.4a ?s ?b = +15.7 4.0mfg 0.5mft ?to 1.8pf = -6.3 = 9.4NP
Moss 6.1p 2.8r 5.8a 2.5s ?b = +17.2 2.4mfg 0.6mft 0to 3.0pf = -6.0 = 11.2NP

Steals, blocks and turnovers are not big ticket items statistically but they approximately cancel each other out. Without minutes, there's no point in evaluating non-starters and Santifer shared the small forward spot with Bruin. Even guys like Louie and Bouie didn't play 40.0 minutes a game so their NP are lower than they should have been.

I use the formula FGA - O-rebs + TO + (.475 x FTA) to determine possessions. Here how that goes with the current team:

1101 FGA - 188 O-Rebs + 209 TO + (.475 x 338 FTA) = 1,282.55 possession in 18 games = 71.25 SU possessions per game. Since possessions alternate, that's an average of 142.50555 or 143 total possessions per game.

I'd love to be able to do a similar comp for this team:

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball 1965-1966 (orangehoops.org)

But you will notice that Offensive rebounds and turnovers are within the same range. You can get an idea of the total possessions per game with this:

2271 FGA + (.475 x 705 FTA) = 2,608.875 / 28 games = 93.066964 possessions per game X 2= 186.13392. The 1965-66 team was playing 40 minutes games with 43 more possessions per game than this year's team. That's 30% more. it's like playing 12 extra minutes. It must have been fun to watch.

By the way:

Dave BIng 28.4p 10.8r 6.6a ?s ?b = +45.8 9.3mfg 1.6mft ?to 2.2pf = -13.1 = 32.7NP

Jim Boeheim 14.6p 2.8r 3.1a ?s ?b = +20.5 4.9mfg 0.8mft ?to 1.7pf = -7.4 = 13.1NP

Must have been other wordly to have seen Bing play.

Must have been other wordly to have seen Bing play.

it was. True story. My family used to go to a handful of games. The year bing was on the freshman team, my father said that kids going to be great, we’re getting season tickets starting next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom