Hobart Game Preliminary Thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Hobart Game Preliminary Thoughts

wvlax

2nd String
Very dangerous trap game coming off the big ND win plus the quick turnaround and being on the road. Also, the gap between the "mid majors" and the big boys seems to have really tightened this year.

Very dangerous trap game coming off the big ND win plus the quick turnaround and being on the road. Also, the gap between the "mid majors" and the big boys seems to have really tightened this year.

23ba4d79cbb81729bbc11c3f559351dc_its-a-trap-its-a-trap-memes_884-772.png

If you looked up the definition of trap game in the dictionary this game would ne example 1A. I will have some thoughts on this game later today or tomorrow but there is definitely some concern. There is also some good news as well.

Just my point of view:

Can it really be trap game if they are highly ranked and possess a top level RPI? Whether they have played a tough schedule to date or not (a la Rutgers), Syracuse has been placed on notice that Hobart is not to be overlooked. Additionally, going 6-1 in 1-point games should let the team know that they cannot let up on any opponent. A win is a win but even a short rest on this season's laurels could cost them a victory.

I think we all agree that Syracuse is not dominating opponents the way they did in their heyday. As WVLax points out, the gap between the big boys and mid-majors is smaller than in the past.

Looking forward to Jeremy's preview/analysis.

Remember the St. Johns game. Seemed like everyone on offense was taking very quick bad shots, perhaps to "boost their points." To beat Hobart we need the same formula as lately. No let down in our defense with strong team offensive movement taking good shots should result in a favorable result. Would like to see Ben get some rest and only be used if needed.

Remember the St. Johns game. Seemed like everyone on offense was taking very quick bad shots, perhaps to "boost their points." To beat Hobart we need the same formula as lately. No let down in our defense with strong team offensive movement taking good shots should result in a favorable result. Would like to see Ben get some rest and only be used if needed.
I think the cold weather had a lot to do with the crap play that day.

Does Desko sit Ben for rest? He seems hurt and Varello has played well. Does the offense keep taking steps forward? The defense as well? This has turned into a very exciting season. I can't wait to watch every game as soon as the previous game ends.

I think the cold weather had a lot to do with the crap play that day.
And in a shocking turn of events, the weather in Geneva for Wednesday is supposed to be tolerable. High of 60 and sunny with a low of 45. Usually when they play at Hobart its like 35 degrees and raining. Always the worst conditions.

Jackson Brown is still in cage?

He must be running on empty by now.

He's had a rough year, was hurt early in the season and doesn't appear to be getting a lot of help from the D in front of him. Of course now that I just said that he will surely have 17 saves and stand on his head.

Separate matter. At what point does Hobart finally see the writing on the wall and go back to D-3?

Separate matter. At what point does Hobart finally see the writing on the wall and go back to D-3?

Both Hobart and Johns Hopkins would perform much better in lacrosse at the DIII level, which is where both schools participate in all their other athletics.

Both Hobart and Johns Hopkins would perform much better in lacrosse at the DIII level, which is where both schools participate in all their other athletics.
I asked one time and was told that if the present rule changed, JHU would move all their sports to D-1 to keep MLax there (at the time they didn't have a WLax team in D-1). They're supposed to have the money to do it. I would imagine their first move would be to ask to join the Ivies (package deal with Colgate?), and failing that the Patriot League, who would probably take them in a heartbeat. They do very well in the D-3 Directors Cup standings, so the seeds are there. Hobart seemed too much of a one-trick pony compared to JHU.

I asked one time and was told that if the present rule changed, JHU would move all their sports to D-1 to keep MLax there (at the time they didn't have a WLax team in D-1). They're supposed to have the money to do it. I would imagine their first move would be to ask to join the Ivies (package deal with Colgate?), and failing that the Patriot League, who would probably take them in a heartbeat.

The Ivies have no reason to mess with their pedigree. Patriot League makes sense, but you never know because these things get so political.

I don't see why schools can't pick and choose, especially when they have the history to back it up. It's got to be a pain for the AD to make multiple affiliations work out, but valuable for a small school to compete on a higher level where it can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom