Home rowing machines | Syracusefan.com

Home rowing machines

Eric15

Living Legend
Do any of you guys/gals own a home rowing machine? If so, is there a particular brand that you like? Is there an advantage to the water-based ones vs. non-water?

Thank you in advance.

I've been doing the same research here as well. High level summary of what I've found:

- Concept 2 - seems to be the workhorse of rowers and is a standby in gyms and what many competitive rowers use. It's also not terribly expensive. Doesn't really use the big video displays that Ergatta, Hydro, NordicTrack and others are using. This is more like a cyclometer, if you've done road biking. It tracks pace, distance, watts, etc. but it's a no frills data screen.

The high enders - Hydrow (Magnetic resistance), Ergatta (Water), & Water Rower (err, water)

Hydrow - is the Peloton of rowing, sexy design, quiet, lots of bells and whistles and the video screen rowing led by an instructor. $3k to get in the game and then the monthly subscription fees.

Ergatta - the Gamers approach to rowing. More soothing due to the swishing of actual water (requires treatment tabs every so often so there is some maintenance), additionally, the resistance is increased or decreased by the volume of water in the tank(i.e. you need to drain water if you want to decrease resistance. Might not be the best option if you have multiple people of different strength using the rower). Stylish, made from quality wood. Consistent complaint I've read about - foot holds are oddly close together and can be weird when your are compressed at the bottom of the rowing cycle. Using game theory with its screen so you are constantly pushed to achieve new levels and personal bests but it doesn't offer the guided instruction that Hydrow does. From what I've read it's not a pro/con issue on the screen presentation but a personal preference. pricetag - similar to Hydrow

Water Rower - parent of the Ergatta. High-end water rowers.

NordicTrack - Gets high marks for using magnetic and air resistance. follows similar instructor led video.

Hydraulic cylinder rowers - honestly, I haven't looked at them. They are way more cost effective.

I've watched a lot of youtube review videos, but have, frankly, been too cheap to make the plunge.
From what I've read, most of the higher end rowers are all 6-8 week wait periods for delivery.

I've been doing the same research here as well. High level summary of what I've found:

- Concept 2 - seems to be the workhorse of rowers and is a standby in gyms and what many competitive rowers use. It's also not terribly expensive. Doesn't really use the big video displays that Ergatta, Hydro, NordicTrack and others are using. This is more like a cyclometer, if you've done road biking. It tracks pace, distance, watts, etc. but it's a no frills data screen.

The high enders - Hydrow (Magnetic resistance), Ergatta (Water), & Water Rower (err, water)

Hydrow - is the Peloton of rowing, s e xy design, quiet, lots of bells and whistles and the video screen rowing led by an instructor. $3k to get in the game and then the monthly subscription fees.

Ergatta - the Gamers approach to rowing. More soothing due to the swishing of actual water (requires treatment tabs every so often so there is some maintenance), additionally, the resistance is increased or decreased by the volume of water in the tank(i.e. you need to drain water if you want to decrease resistance. Might not be the best option if you have multiple people of different strength using the rower). Stylish, made from quality wood. Consistent complaint I've read about - foot holds are oddly close together and can be weird when your are compressed at the bottom of the rowing cycle. Using game theory with its screen so you are constantly pushed to achieve new levels and personal bests but it doesn't offer the guided instruction that Hydrow does. From what I've read it's not a pro/con issue on the screen presentation but a personal preference. pricetag - similar to Hydrow

Water Rower - parent of the Ergatta. High-end water rowers.

NordicTrack - Gets high marks for using magnetic and air resistance. follows similar instructor led video.

Hydraulic cylinder rowers - honestly, I haven't looked at them. They are way more cost effective.

I've watched a lot of youtube review videos, but have, frankly, been too cheap to make the plunge.
From what I've read, most of the higher end rowers are all 6-8 week wait periods for delivery.
Ya Gotta Ergatta!

Sorry, I have absolutely nothing to add here. I just wanted to make that pun.

They can't all be gold. :)

Do any of you guys/gals own a home rowing machine? If so, is there a particular brand that you like? Is there an advantage to the water-based ones vs. non-water?

Thank you in advance.

Pretty much everybody I know who has a home rowing erg - has a Concept 2.
Haven't heard anything negative from any of them.

Apparently they hold their value well too, so if/when you get tired of it, resale values are very good.
The downside of that is - it's hard to find a used one for cheap.

I have a YMCA membership. I use the rowing machines there. Not sure what brand. It does include free weights, elliptical machines, treadmills, gym space, a pool, a small track, and even a locker room. It also does not take up space in my house.

Wow, the Concept 2 may have the best reviews for any product on Amazon I've ever seen.

1620134290807.png

The Concept 2 is the gold standard. I was a competitive rower and would consider nothing else. I still have my 1986 Concept 2 I purchased to keep rowing when I was off campus and it has been an absolute workhorse with zero mechanical issues. I was able to update it as the decades passed with a safer fly wheel and new monitor. I have it in my basement in front of the TV and have enjoyed many a movie while paddling away. When Covid hit and gyms closed, my husband and I were lucky enough to be at the front of the surge of people buying weight equipment and transformed our garage to a pretty respectable gym. We also made the jump to buy a second Concept 2. The new ones are fantastic. Not to knock my vintage one too much but it is way smoother and I love the ability to store it tipped on end. As others mentioned, it doesn't have a whole lot of bells and whistles as far as graphics and fancy games but it does have a multitude of ways to analyze your rowing and offer feedback to get better. You'll have to study the manual or spend some time on the website to understand technique and how to get the most out of your machine. The website has a lot of videos to teach you. The monitor has a space above the readout to secure your phone so you could watch the videos as you row. There are also ways to set up an iPad or computer or TV if you want a bigger screen. If the classes of the Hydrow are appealing there are a bunch of app options you could use on your phone or other device to get the same effect without the exorbitant Peloton-like fees.
Rowing is such an excellent whole body workout - I'm always excited when someone is interested in starting even if they never have plans to get on the water.

I think for the money, you get more out of a treadmill. The wrap around rails really maximize the clothes drying area.

Sorry, just feeling snarky this a.m. and couldn't help myself.

Original NordicTrack is the ultimate clothes drying machine.

I’m pretty sure that’s all anybody has ever used one of those for.

I think you should just get the one that the Winklevoss twins used in The Social Network.

Note - you may also need to install a small indoor pool.

I think you should just get the one that the Winklevoss twins used in The Social Network.

Note - you may also need to install a small indoor pool.
I will strongly consider it simply because Armie Hammer is such a great role model.

Thank you in advance.

Years ago, I had a Precor hydraulic rowing machine. It was like independent pistons / shock absorbers for each arm, with independent movement. Glided very smoothly along its track, was very quiet.

I don't care for the ones where it's a fly wheel design, and you have the handle at the end of a chain that you pull toward your belly. Never liked those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom