Honest assessment | Syracusefan.com

Honest assessment

Flacusian

All Conference
This team is not very good. The expectations prior to the season start have not come to fruition. Frank Howard has not shown that he has the ability to run the team on offense and it's a little late to just be attributing that to his ankle injury. I think most people expected that with Battle returning and the strong showing at the end of last year this team would be poised to be very good this season. I think it's fair to say that we have enough data to show that those expectations were unreasonable.

We needed to win this Fl. St. game. The chances of winning the ACC tournament... well, you know... that isn't going to happen.
Short of that it looks like this group is headed straight toward NIT ville. Really disappointing to have that be the current state of affairs with the program the first week of February.

It's really disappointing to watch a game like tonight's and realize that the program, currently is mediocre at best. I have loved Syracuse Basketball more than any sport for the past 30 years and it's really sad to not be excited by what I'm seeing this year. \I'm hoping... that next year things will improve...

This team has major issues, and is clearly not an upper echelon acc team like we thought/hoped. But they’re 7-3 in acc, most likely 8-3 after Saturday, have a great road record which will be huge come selection Sunday, and should safely make the tournament unless they have a complete collapse.

This team is not very good. The expectations prior to the season start have not come to fruition. Frank Howard has not shown that he has the ability to run the team on offense and it's a little late to just be attributing that to his ankle injury. I think most people expected that with Battle returning and the strong showing at the end of last year this team would be poised to be very good this season. I think it's fair to say that we have enough data to show that those expectations were unreasonable.

We needed to win this Fl. St. game. The chances of winning the ACC tournament... well, you know... that isn't going to happen.
Short of that it looks like this group is headed straight toward NIT ville. Really disappointing to have that be the current state of affairs with the program the first week of February.

It's really disappointing to watch a game like tonight's and realize that the program, currently is mediocre at best. I have loved Syracuse Basketball more than any sport for the past 30 years and it's really sad to not be excited by what I'm seeing this year. \I'm hoping... that next year things will improve...

That took...courage. Not saying I agree or disagree, but I hope you have some v*****ne in your bathroom cabinet...you may outrank me on the top 25 least popular now.

(the giving of flowers in this episode was a show of affection, so when the kid at the end saw them, he thought it meant, well, you know)

There is talent on this team. More than a number of teams that will do well in the tourney.

Just not sure how well the pieces fit, especially without a PG or a post-up big.

Think many of us got fooled by the tourney run last year. Me included.

There is talent on this team. More than a number of teams that will do well in the tourney.

Just not sure how well the pieces fit, especially without a PG or a post-up big.

This is when being in a mid major might actually benefit us. ;)

I dunno. That stupid Uconn team won the title when Kemba Walker went nuts. Tyus can do that. Get in, whatever. Look at the mayrix. We. Are. Fine. ...matchups, thats the roll of the dice.....Tex is a 10 seed. 12-10, like 3-9 in conf. We are fine. Just give us teams that dont know the zone.

I dunno. That stupid Uconn team won the title when Kemba Walker went nuts. Tyus can do that. Get in, whatever. Look at the mayrix. We. Are. Fine. ...matchups, thats the roll of the dice...Tex is a 10 seed. 12-10, like 3-9 in conf. We are fine. Just give us teams that dont know the zone.

I agree with that too. I could see this going both ways, like that line from the Beck song that mentioned AC/DC.

Ps- drove out to the Dome tonight dreaming of acc byes and regional finals. Well.

I misread that at first seeeing "drove out of(from) the dome" and was about to ask what you were having and if you were sharing. ;) But I definitely can understand the optimism before this game...and why not have it(it's certainly healthier)? I was just down on those who chose to bash the minority voices who spoke their truth.

I agree with that too. I could see this going both ways, like that line from the Beck song that mentioned AC/DC.

Hmm. I must know the reference...but ive been drinking...prior to tonight i hoped maybe a 5/6...Tonight i know we are an 8/9..maybe 10, but no worse.

Hmm. I must know the reference...but ive been drinking...prior to tonight i hoped maybe a 5/6...Tonight i know we are an 8/9..maybe 10, but no worse.

I'm not a huge fan of Beck by any means(to put it mildly, lol), but for some reason that line came to mind. If youre bored and care to hear it, it's in here. As for speculation on seeds...after Moqui helping me to stop being a putz and make a decision, I finally made a run for alcohol and now am enjoying the sweet nectar as well(when you were saying numbers after drinking, my onfocused eyes originally had me thinking you were talking about how many you were on so far!), and it has my mind less motivated to do the workto properly speculate. Part of it is saying I can do it at another tiiiiiime, take it the end of the line!

I'm not a huge fan of Beck by any means(to put it mildly, lol), but for some reason that line came to mind. If youre bored and care to hear it, it's in here. As for speculation on seeds...after Moqui helping me to stop being a putz and make a decision, I finally made a run for alcohol and now am enjoying the sweet nectar as well(when you were saying numbers after drinking, my onfocused eyes originally had me thinking you were talking about how many you were on so far!), and it has my mind less motivated to do the workto properly speculate. Part of it is saying I can do it at another tiiiiiime, take it the end of the line!

Yeah, I'm little stoned now too. And now I'm wandering off a bit lost. Let me reconsider this in the morning. Anyway I think we all agree we gotta win on Saturday. And now either Ville or State.

Always get the most honest of the honest assessments of the team in the minutes after a home loss. I don’t know if your take is right or wrong but I know this isn’t the time to claim you’re making honest assessments. It’s not credible. If we beat Virginia the honest assessments will be that we should be Elite Eight minimum. If we lose to Duke and Virginia, something most 2 seeds would do, the honest assessment will be that JB has become unfrozen caveman coach, the zone is a joke, Gerry needs to be shipped off to a labor camp, etc.

I dunno. That stupid Uconn team won the title when Kemba Walker went nuts. Tyus can do that. Get in, whatever. Look at the mayrix. We. Are. Fine. ...matchups, thats the roll of the dice...Tex is a 10 seed. 12-10, like 3-9 in conf. We are fine. Just give us teams that dont know the zone.

Tyus isnt in the same level of talent as Kemba. Not even close. he cant string together more than a few good games.

we need a no frills solid, methodical, steady handed PG. a guardian of the ball. a distributor. id say 150 teams have such a dude in D1. we cant find one?

we need a no frills solid, methodical, steady handed PG. a guardian of the ball. a distributor. id say 150 teams have such a dude in D1. we cant find one?

While I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with your initiall assertion, my favored friend, I'll take a stab at the question. My answer is that I am not certain that we have even been necessarily recruiting one.

If I dont get 20+ likes for that, I will imagine I am even more hated on here than previously thought...and give carefeful thought to permanentlly banning myself... from not posting a ton of posts.

Last edited:
While I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing with your initiall assertion, my favored friend, I'll take a stab at the question. My answer is that I am not certain that we have even been necessarily recruiting one.

If I dont get 20+ likes for that, I will imagine I am even more hated on here than previously thought...and give carefeful thought to permanentlly banning myself... from not posting a ton of posts.

you're right I believe. We don't recruit these types...unless they happen to come with crazy size, athleticism, long arms, in which case they're a five star and we cant get them.

Every team that plays SU puys that game in the same light as if they were playing Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK. It's a huge pelt for them and often they will dial up a great effort A game and the Orange are not quite in position yet to be able to respond to that energy. They are making progress on gelling as a team, but when you have a team like FSU with size, talent and experience who plays a near perfect game, it just going to take more than an average effort to beat them. They will be there by the tourney.

Honest assessment... I am looking forward to football season. Can't see this team going on a late season tear but I guess time will tell.

Your last line is spot on.

The team caught lightning in a bottle for a few games in March but what we saw prior to that stretch is too often what we've seen this year. I do think this year's team, on balance, is better than last year's edition because of having more depth, the addition of Hughes and the fact that Battle is playing at a high level.

Reality is things have been rough and there is likely gonna be turbulence to finish the season - we just have to hope we get in and can make another run with is very possible
Turbulence. That's the perfect word for Syracuse hoops. Especially in February.

Every team that plays SU puys that game in the same light as if they were playing Duke, UNC, Kansas, UK. It's a huge pelt for them and often they will dial up a great effort A game and the Orange are not quite in position yet to be able to respond to that energy. They are making progress on gelling as a team, but when you have a team like FSU with size, talent and experience who plays a near perfect game, it just going to take more than an average effort to beat them. They will be there by the tourney.

FSU hsd 21 turnovers. they were FAR from perfect. we were just BAAAAAD

Team is poor because of the lack of PG. He's not commanding, not assertive, can't break you down and get to the rim which doesn't open up other guys. He's just sort of slow plodding and methodical which isn't a bad thing but it is here and then add his high turnover rate. it's just not good. Hate to just bang on the PG but he's the QB.

I would roll with Battle at PG, Hughes, Boeheim, Brissett and insert a 5. And then the bench. Not much to lose at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom