Hopkins Signs With IMG | Syracusefan.com

Hopkins Signs With IMG

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Sandy Montag, IMG's senior corporate vice president and head of clients, is expected to represent Hopkins for the agency. Hopkins was previously unrepresented.

"His next contract will be a head coaching contract," Montag told the Sports Business Journal. "I have known Mike a while, and the time is right for him to get some representation."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...ketball_assistant_2.html#incart_river_default

Interesting. Wonder if the timing means anything.

He gone. Now he will have an agent pulling him out the door everytime an opening appears.

I will be exceptionally bitter if/when he leaves. I may cry a little bit. Followed by a brief period of leaving flaming bags of dog poppy on his door step. Followed by acceptance. Followed by moving on.

Edowds 4 step program.

Hope our recruiting doesn't suffer too much. I know Autry is pretty good, but Gerry is still pretty unproven as a recruiter.

I look at it one of two ways:

1) He will leave at the end of the season and come back when Jim B retires in a couple years.

2) Jim retires at the end of this season and Hop takes over.

I'm good with either option. Option 1 gets him some head coaching experience before taking over and option 2 tosses out the possibility of option 3 (which we won't talk about).

Well, if coach Hop gets a head coaching job somewhere is not such a bad thing. In 5 to 10 years when JB retires coach Hop will still most likely be one of the top considerations for the position regardless of where he ends up. And coach Hop getting some head coaching experience is probably a good thing.

Whatever happens, JB has truly built an amazing BB program.

1) He will leave at the end of the season and come back when Jim B retires in a couple years.

I'm good with either option. Option 1 gets him some head coaching experience before taking over and option 2 tosses out the possibility of option 3 (which we won't talk about).
What if he doesn't come back?

Option 2 makes me sad.

Not sure that another school would be OK with "renting" Hop for a few years until he wants to return to SU. That's why the USC offer fell through.

If Hop takes another job, he may be gone for good.

Which is why I think he waits it out.

Last edited:
Hard to imagine Hopkins coming back after this year.

Boeheim keeps hanging on (probably through the next Olympics) and Hopkins is WAY beyond earning a head coaching position of his own.

I hope no Syracuse fans holds any ill will towards him when he moves on. We have gotten everything we could have hoped from Hopkins and more.

Big time programs lose assistants regularly. Syracuse has lost great assistants before and always replaced them in kind. Syracuse is in a better position now (and has more money to spend on assistants) then they ever have before. Syracuse is going to be fine, and I will root for Hopkins wherever he goes.

When Boeheim finally retires Hopkins will be a candidate I am sure, but he is going to have some competition because Syracuse has become a very desirable job.

#2 is not happening and #1 is a long shot.

If Mike is tired of being the "coach in waiting", they won't hold it open for him if he leaves; there will be a full search.

My sense is that Mike is gone at the end of the year. It is also now pretty clear why Mike was not even mentioned in Boeheim's appearance on CenterStage while he went out of his way to praise Gerry McNamara. Mike's gone. Our recruiting is likely to take a hit, but at least we will be able to hire a real big man coach now. I'm glad that the cupboard is so full of incoming recruits.

Maybe IMG wants to represent Hop because they know in a few years he will be the head coach of one of the greatest basketball programs in the country. Perhaps Coach Hop is thinking toward the future at Syracuse and not elsewhere. He sure looked happy in all the Maui pics I saw here.

His agent is an SU guy who is active with the school and it's alumni and Scott Shafer. Doesn't seem so terrible.

It's funny how people automatically assume the absolutely worst case scenario.

JB probably has two more season's after this one. Then the Ferrari is Mike's if he wants it. If he leaves, SU will hire a great recruiter to replace him and then conduct a national search and have its pick of coaches. There will be a line wrapping around the Carrier Dome for that job if it were ever truly open.

#2 is not happening and #1 is a long shot.

If Mike is tired of being the "coach in waiting", they won't hold it open for him if he leaves; there will be a full search.

My sense is that Mike is gone at the end of the year. It is also now pretty clear why Mike was not even mentioned in Boeheim's appearance on CenterStage while he went out of his way to praise Gerry McNamara. Mike's gone. Our recruiting is likely to take a hit, but at least we will be able to hire a real big man coach now. I'm glad that the cupboard is so full of incoming recruits.
It jumped right out on the Center Stage interview but maybe the conspiracy theorists are wrong this time. We have nothing to base it on (except how the big guys progress) and right now it is arguable that we are currently in the best stretch of Syracuse basketball ever. I think if Mike goes it doesn't have anything to do with anything between him and JAB.

His agent is an SU guy who is active with the school and it's alumni and Scott Shafer. Doesn't seem so terrible.
Not to mention your agent lines up / negotiates more than your primary job -- e.g., endorsements, speaking appearances, his TW show. I'm more surprised he didn't have representation before this, particularly as he went through the USC hiring process.