Hostiles | Syracusefan.com

Hostiles

Uh, don't you mean "Hostiles"? or is there a new movie out about European bed rentals?
Crap yes, spelled it wrong. And I don't think you can fix a thread title. But yes "Hostiles"! GREAT flick.

Was gonna say...Hostels? Better stay away from Cuseregular's parties, and his pass dishes at tailgates. Lol!
I live for his wife’s “Heart attack on a plate”. My arteries are clogging now just thinking about it

best movie I've seen this season. Worth a viewing.
Tell us more. I am loath to go to a movie that will tell me how bad I should feel about things that happened in America while me ancestors were in Ireland.

Tell us more. I am loath to go to a movie that will tell me how bad I should feel about things that happened in America while me ancestors were in Ireland.
You conservatives won't or more fairly might not enjoy it as much since part of it is a nuanced unbiased look at the manifest destiny doctrine which ordained that everything belonged to us and was there for the taking so we took it based on Gods will of us as the favored chosen race.

However that said you may like part of it that accurately shows how blood thirsty and horrific a significant percentage of the Native American culture were themselves. For any open minded well balanced person capable of nuanced shades of grey thinking vs everything being black and white, for those people, which I think is most people, it's as I said I the OP a worthwhile viewing.

If based on that you don't think it's your type of flick then I heartily reccomend seeing 12 strong which I saw last night and was also great (fyi to anyone who lives here in the syracuse area, the movie tavern has a deal through Costco where for $10/month you can see a movie a day!). No restrictions. Yes you read that right.

Last edited:
You conservatives won't enjoy it as much since part of it is a nuanced unbiased look at the manifest destiny doctrine which ordained that everything belonged to us and was there for the taking so we took it based on Gods will of us as the favored chosen race.

However that said you may like part of it that accurately shows how blood thirsty and horrific a significant percentage of the Native American culture were themselves. For any open minded well balanced person capable of nuanced shades of grey thinking vs everything being black and white, for those people, which I think is most people, it's as I said I the OP a worthwhile viewing.

If based on that you don't think it's your type of flick that I heartily reccomend seeing 12 strong which I saw last night and was also great (fyi to anyone who lives here in the movie tavern has a deal through Costco where for $10/month you can see a movie a day!). No restrictions. Yes you read that right.

Boy, are you a pompous a**!

I just don't don't enjoy being told that I should feel bad because the mores of today didn't apply 200 years ago.
Many Indian tribes were just a brutal as our fore bearers. Many tribes expanded by conquering other tribes so as to take over their areas, take their women, steal their horses, whatever. It wasn't just white people. It was people. (Why else did China need a wall?) White people were just better at it than the American tribes.
People have evolved. We get it. Applying today's morals to ancestors is just dumb, and is a way for liberals to feel moral smug.

However, if the movie were to be a piece of historical fiction which is used to bring to a reasoned discussion why things were done the way they were done, and what should we learn from it, and how should be formulate policy moving forward, that would indeed be a good use of my time. You may be be so wrapped up in your own white guilt that you can't comprehend the nuanced difference.

Boy, are you a pompous a**!

I just don't don't enjoy being told that I should feel bad because the mores of today didn't apply 200 years ago.
Many Indian tribes were just a brutal as our fore bearers. Many tribes expanded by conquering other tribes so as to take over their areas, take their women, steal their horses, whatever. It wasn't just white people. It was people. (Why else did China need a wall?) White people were just better at it than the American tribes.
People have evolved. We get it. Applying today's morals to ancestors is just dumb, and is a way for liberals to feel moral smug.

However, if the movie were to be a piece of historical fiction which is used to bring to a reasoned discussion why things were done the way they were done, and what should we learn from it, and how should be formulate policy moving forward, that would indeed be a good use of my time. You may be be so wrapped up in your own white guilt that you can't comprehend the nuanced difference.
You're right, apologies, I've amended the op a bit to paint with a less of broad of a brush. But you missed the point somewhat in the op which in actuality agrees with the meat of your own post.

As noted the movie went out of its way and bent over backwards to make the point you and I do about a large % of the native Americans. Was one of the reasons I liked it so much the fair minded way it portrays the reality of the situation from the true historical perspective without one side being the only and total "bad guy".

However the other point inferred in the op also holds true that the more likely group to admit to the factual reality of who is the larger of the perpetrators in the big picture amongst the two groups in terms of responsibility, it would be the left leaners more likely to admit and conclude the white man unquestionably would be the bigger of the two. Not a stretch to assume I don't think.

And as for the white guilt none here as it was what it was and also since I'm probably one of the few left leaners to acknowledge that it ain't 1903 anymore and there need be a good long look and action for immigration reform somewhere in between the last administration and this one (and would actually be on board with some of drumpfs policies if it wasn't couched in his extreme rhetoric and bs coming from the mouth of this complete buffoon). So zero guilt here both now and for back then on these tangentially related issues.

The movie wasn't only about helping to set the record straight about the atrocities that were perpetuated on the Native American culture but more about forget the race the creed and or color, there's good and bad in both cultures, or all cultures for that matter.

It's a powerful film for those able to get beyond their own partisan blinders, while for those too blinded by said blinders they'll come out of feeling exactly as you wrote not able to see the nuanced portrayal of the reality of the circumstances then.

Last edited:
I agree it was a really powerful film.. Bale is excellent , not overly bloody, but very emotional.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom