Houston's QB's decision an option for McKinley Williams? | Syracusefan.com

Houston's QB's decision an option for McKinley Williams?

CuseBBall

Walk On
I am sure many of you saw it but this week Houston's QB decided to redshirt this year after playing the first 4 games and their team starting 1-3 because he wants to play again next year. (Still uncertain if it will be at Houston.) With the new rule in place I am guessing this might be a trend. It might be an option for someone like McKinley Williams to decide to do the same? As after this week he would have already sat out 5 games of the 8 necessary games.
If Williams comes back for NC State and plays in the next four games against NC State, Pitt, FSU and BC and if we go 1-3 or something close to that and we are 4-5 or something close to that after those games. It might not be a bad idea for him to ask to be shut down for the last 3 games, of what might be considered a "lost season," especially with the hopes we had coming into the year. (Hopefully he would chose to play his last season here.)
It might also be a better option for him to show case his skills for the NFL to play a full 5th year senior season... and give him a chance to play (hopefully here) for something bigger next year.

If McKinley would be into it, I could be into it, especially considering the need for DT's next year and the fact he didn't redshirt as a freshman. Having him and Black back would make the transition much easier. That said, if him playing this year is the difference in a win or two, then that is a different story.

I do agree that the Houston situation will be the new trend. If the season begins to tank, coaches may opt to redshirt solid players and work towards next year. I say that in general, nationwide... not in reference to Cuse.

Doubtful, we’re playing to win and we’re still in a position to obtain and orange bowl berth.
I think we would have to run the table to get an Orange Bowl birth. If we lose a game or two in the 4 game stretch against NC State, Pitt, FSU or BC I cannot see us going to the Orange Bowl.

Also, I believe part of the agreement with Notre Dame playing 5 ACC games a year they are in the rotation of the ACCs Bowl Games. With them losing to GA last week they might be in line for the Orange Bowl... or at least I thought that was part of the agreement with ND.

I understand because the DL situation looks GRIM next year but we need to win this year. Have to maximize this year's edge rush with guys that can push the pocket. Unfortunately, Josh Black needs another 20-30 lbs on him.

I think we would have to run the table to get an Orange Bowl birth. If we lose a game or two in the 4 game stretch against NC State, Pitt, FSU or BC I cannot see us going to the Orange Bowl.

Also, I believe part of the agreement with Notre Dame playing 5 ACC games a year they are in the rotation of the ACCs Bowl Games. With them losing to GA last week they might be in line for the Orange Bowl... or at least I thought that was part of the agreement with ND.
9 wins imo. Notre Dame’s not done losing either.

Yes. It’d be a great option if he only plays 4 games, gets the redshirt and comes back next year. He can only play in 4, not 5. Our DL is in serious trouble next year.

Last edited:
I still remember Williams being presumptuous and tweeting how he was glad to spend the next (only) 3 years at SU when he committed. Some posters were taken aback, but welcome to the new reality. I really dislike criticizing players, but I think a redshirt and strong senior year would be his best option

Can we ask Bear what he wants to do, or does his opinion not matter?

I think it's something that should be considered and there are mutliple factors that come in play when making a decision.

1. When will he be healthy?
2. When he's cleared to play, will he be 100%? If not, at what percentage is he better than the guys that have been filling in for him?
3. What does he want to do?

If he wants to come back for a full year next year, it would be a disservice to him, if he ends up playing in 5 games, especially if he wasn't needed in one of them.

Yes. It’s be a great option if he only plays 4 games, gets the redshirt and comes back next year. He can only play in 4, not 5. Our DL is in serious trouble next year.

I'm making the assumption that we're never going to see Okechukwu play, which makes it worse for next year. He was out for all of spring and all of the preseason for 'illness'. Not good.

Can we ask Bear what he wants to do, or does his opinion not matter?

Not this guy again. NO, until he picks Syracuse, his opinion does NOT matter.

1569426127566.jpeg

Whatever this kid wants to do is what the staff should honor.
If he wants to play over 4 games let him.
If he wants to play just 4 games and RS and come back the staff should honor that.
If he wants to just play 4 games and then look to move to another school then he should be supported.

These kids deserve to determine what they want with their careers.

Said it another thread, strong chance for last three games + bowl, then redshirt.

He didn't redshirt, so it is a possibility.

No idea about how realistic it is -- i.e., when he actually will return, when he'll be at full speed, team record, whether he'd be into it, etc.

Whatever this kid wants to do is what the staff should honor.
If he wants to play over 4 games let him.
If he wants to play just 4 games and RS and come back the staff should honor that.
If he wants to just play 4 games and then look to move to another school then he should be supported.

These kids deserve to determine what they want with their careers.
Yes let's teach them all to be narcissists and only care about themselves. Forget things like team bonding, loyalty, brotherhood, commitment, etc. A fine bunch of young men they should turn out to be. Want to bring up the narcissism of coaches as an issue? Fine, we can have that discussion too but two wrongs don't make a right.

Yes let's teach them all to be narcissists and only care about themselves. Forget things like team bonding, loyalty, brotherhood, commitment, etc. A fine bunch of young men they should turn out to be. Want to bring up the narcissism of coaches as an issue? Fine, we can have that discussion too but two wrongs don't make a right.
Coaches leave their teams before the season ends and you want to get on the players for looking out for themselves.
This is a billion dollar industry that the players get none of. They shouldn’t screw their teams unnecessarily but they should look out for themselves in situations like Williams.

I perceive that you are not fully realizing that generations define right and wrong for themselves.

nds bowl deal with orange bowl is separate from acc. its acc vs sec,big 10 or nd , whoever is ranked highest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom