How committed is SU? | Syracusefan.com

How committed is SU?

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
Do they want to win or just cash checks and not be a total embarrassment? I think it's the latter, and it's why my passion for the team has dwindled. I have four season tickets, but find myself more and more finding it ok if I can't make a game, or miss the start of a road game. It seems - incorrectly I'm sure - that the fans are more committed to this climb than the school is, and that is what is truly sad. My blah attitude has made game day results more acceptable, but I hate it.

SU wants to win. They’ve poured a lot of money into facilities, thought they had the right guy running the program, and paid his staff competitive money. Turns out Dino may not be the guy. It sucks but it happens.

I’m with you. I’ll go down with this ship 11x out of 10, but man, is it a mentally stressful and draining thing watching this football team week in and week out.
For clarification, I wasn’t here for the 80s and 90s. I wasn’t here for perennial Top 25s. Best year since I became affiliated with this school and team was 2018. Man, is it frustrating.

This is a joke right, lol. I’m guessing it is. We can def get a coach that can win more ACC games than we have. If not, why play.
We haven't lost our 5 games this year because of talent. We do not look like a well coached team.

We make many mistakes, lack focus, and often look unprepared or confused. Not just today but every game.

Our game plans are often lacking. They seem to have no rhyme or reason. But then you see one game every year where things just go our way. That hasn't happened yet this year so maybe there is hope.

Then you have the poor in game coaching decisions.

Maybe you could put up with this coaching with good recruiting (see Mack Brown), but that isn't the case here.

I am struggling to see what Dino does well.

We’re not getting anyone better than Dino. He’s not a bad coach, but he does make bad mistakes. I just wish he would learn from his mistakes, for all of our sake.
Curious what your deffinition of a bad coach is. His overall record at Syracuse is a loosing record, his record against P5 is also bad, and his ACC conference record sucks even harder. He's a good human by all accounts but hes not getting paid 3.5 million a year because hes a real swell dude.

There really isnt a quantifiable way to back up saying Dino is a good coach at Syracuse

We haven't lost our 5 games this year because of talent. We do not look like a well coached team.

We make many mistakes, lack focus, and often look unprepared or confused. Not just today but every game.

Our game plans are often lacking. They seem to have no rhyme or reason. But then you see one game every year where things just go our way. That hasn't happened yet this year so maybe there is hope.

Maybe you could put up with this coaching with good recruiting (see Mack Brown), but that isn't the case here.

I can tell you. He coaches kids up. He has to because we don't recruit well. As for everything else, no
comment.

Curious what your deffinition of a bad coach is. His overall record at Syracuse is a loosing record, his record against P5 is also bad, and his ACC conference record sucks even harder. He's a good human by all accounts but hes not getting paid 3.5 million a year because hes a real swell dude.

There really isnt a quantifiable way to back up saying Dino is a good coach at Syracuse
I’m assuming our recruiting would suffer even more without him, but game day would obviously be better. It’s pretty frustrating when all the commentators are constantly commenting about his odd decisions.

Talent is part of the problem too, IMHO. I like Shrader a lot, but he’s not a good passer. Our OL is, at best, fine in some spots with holes in others. Our WRs are inconsistent. And this the side of the ball that Dino was supposed to be some kind of savant at. Our kicking game is lousy. We find some kids that are great talents, no doubt. But our talent is not in the top half of the conference, to put it mildly.

Talent is part of the problem too, IMHO. I like Shrader a lot, but he’s not a good passer. Our OL is, at best, fine in some spots with holes in others. Our WRs are inconsistent. And this the side of the ball that Dino was supposed to be some kind of savant at. Our kicking game is lousy. We find some kids that are great talents, no doubt. But our talent is not in the top half of the conference, to put it mildly.

Kind of hard to make plays when the pocket is collapsing and his receivers aren’t getting separation.

Kind of hard to make plays when the pocket is collapsing and his receivers aren’t getting separation.
Yes. And he’s also not a good passer. I don’t think that’s a particularly controversial claim.

Mac Brown is bringing in top classes and is also 5-5. And talk about laying an egg inside the 5 to win (against Pitt on Thursday)

People need to find a lane with this stuff. Either the recruiting stinks and must be upgraded (good luck), or it's fine since we're even in all these games (minus today) therefore it must be the coach.

Mac Brown is bringing in top classes and is also 5-5. And talk about laying an egg inside the 5 to win (against Pitt on Thursday)

People need to find a lane with this stuff. Either the recruiting stinks and must be upgraded (good luck), or it's fine since we're even in all these games (minus today) therefore it must be the coach.
They beat Wake. Lost in ot to a good Pitt team on the road and were competitive at South Bend.

My point was our talent isn’t so bad that we have no shot at winning. We are in the same ball park as our opponents. It is enough to go 6-6 but not enough to go 9-3.

The fact that we can’t get 9 Ws is talent. The fact that we can’t get 6 Ws is coaching.

agreed, it’s insane and really ridiculous

They beat Wake. Lost in ot to a good Pitt team on the road and were competitive at South Bend.

They had a first and goal to win and completely fubar-ed it every way possible and worse than our games this year. But since you're not a UNC fan like you are an SU fan it's easy to say that stuff happens.

Who knows

I think they're trying, but between
  • G-Rob hire
  • Donors not pitching in to help Marrone/program
  • Conference realignment to a small extent
  • Shafer hire
  • Dino hire(?)
It's a huge hole to dig out of, and has lead to this losing perception which is hurting fan support/recruiting.

I’m assuming our recruiting would suffer even more without him, but game day would obviously be better. It’s pretty frustrating when all the commentators are constantly commenting about his odd decisions.
Why would dino be the best recruiter possible? That makes no sense. Our ceiling for a class is like 12th-13th in the ACC no matter what?

Why would dino be the best recruiter possible? That makes no sense. Our ceiling for a class is like 12th-13th in the ACC no matter what?
10th would probably be the ceiling, IMO. People need to get out more, everybody praying for miracles. It’s been 20 years people. I wonder if there are army fans wondering why they can’t compete for national championships anymore. I’m kidding of course but the stupidity sometimes is mind blowing. Hire a new coach and most will want himfired in 3 years..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom