How did 25 SU players do after leaving | Syracusefan.com

How did 25 SU players do after leaving

great article! It's cool to see Harris and Nichols still playing and playing in top European leagues. Does anyone have access to the salaries these guys make in the best divisions?

Harris posts on social media a lot and always positive things about cuse. He is a really nice guy. I know there were a lot of rumors about him beint a problem when he was here, which there is probably some truth to, but ive also heard jonny was a lot worse. Would be curious to know from insiders if that is true.

This site often bemoans guys leaving early when it's obvious they are not ready for the rigors of the NBA. Out of the 25 previewed in that article, there were 10 early entrants. Of those 10, I think two were absolute no brainers to go (Johnson and Anthony) and three were certainly physically capable (Grant, MCW, Waiters).

Here's that list:

1) Carmelo Anthony (FA) - Dude is rich AF. Good decision. Net worth of about 120 million. Made nearly 250 million in his career.

2) Michael Carter-Williams (Orlando Magic) - Not a great player in the NBA, but he's still in the league and is a multi millionaire. Made about 14.5 million.

3) Tyler Ennis (Turkey) - A strike while the iron was hot guy, and he was a first rounder with guaranteed money. Can't blame him, his stock would never be higher. I think he'll be one to watch when he comes back for Fenerbace. They're a very solid Euro League team. Kid has made 6.5 million in his career.

4) Jerami Grant (Oklahoma Thunder) - Great decision for him, same as Ennis. He has had a very productive and lucrative NBA career. Scheduled to make more than 31 million dollars for his career through the 2021 season.

5) Paul Harris (France) - I had no idea Paul was still playing hoops. Good to see. I doubt he's making "set up for life" money, so I hope he has other plans after his career is over. A very shady website put his net worth at between 1 million and 5 million. He made the smart decision in 2014 to move overseas where the money is more plentiful. Paul's current team in the top league in France had a salary budget of about 1.8 million dollars in 2014. It's not done like this, but divide by 12 and you figure Paul is probably (five years later) making well over year $100,000 a year there.

6) Wes Johnson (Washington Wizards) - No one was disappointed when he left. Outside of Melo he had all the tools he needed to succeed in the NBA. A well respected journeyman who has carved out a niche for himself with each team he plays for. Made about 32 million dollars.

7) Tyler Lydon (Denver Nuggets) - I think it's too early to tell for Mali and Tyler. Tyler has played more in the G League than in the NBA, and I believe he was hurt this past season. Still, the guaranteed contract netted him more than 4 million dollars.

8) Chris McCullough (China, G League, PR) - Chris, we hardly knew ye! Wish he had stayed another year because I really think it would have helped him. He did sneak into the first round though, so he got that guaranteed cash. 4 million dollars is more than I'll make in my life so I'd say he's set himself up well.

9) Malachi Richardson (Toronto Raptors) - Like Lydon, I still think Mali may latch on somewhere. Again though, he's 4 million dollars richer. If he can get that second contract (same with Lydon) they will be set up for good.

10) Dion Waiters (Miami Heat) - Our chunky baby boy! Dion has been an enigma in the NBA. Sometimes a dominant player, sometimes out of shape and out of his depth. If we judge based solely on money though? Dude made the absolute right call. Through 2021 he's scheduled to make 63 million for his career. Yah, that's not too bad.

So what's the point? Outside of Paul Harris all of these guys made really good decisions. They are all multimillionaires, with some of them setting up their family for generations. Even Jonny Flynn netted close to 10 million dollars.

It seems most of our early entrants have made good decisions for themselves. I think that may end with Oshae and Tyus, although I believe they both could easily end up with lucrative careers in Europe.

Last edited:
This site often bemoans guys leaving early when it's obvious they are not ready for the rigors of the NBA. Out of the 25 previewed in that article, there were 10 early entrants. Of those 10, I think two were absolute no brainers to go (Johnson and Anthony) and three were certainly physically capable (Grant, MCW, Waiters).

Here's that list:

1) Carmelo Anthony (FA) - Dude is rich AF. Good decision. Net worth of about 120 million.

2) Michael Carter-Williams (Orlando Magic) - Not a great player in the NBA, but he's still in the league and is a multi millionaire. Net worth is about 14.5 million.

3) Tyler Ennis (Turkey) - A strike while the iron was hot guy, and he was a first rounder with guaranteed money. Can't blame him, his stock would never be higher. I think he'll be one to watch when he comes back for Fenerbace. They're a very solid Euro League team. Kid has made 6.5 million in his career.

4) Jerami Grant (Oklahoma Thunder) - Great decision for him, same as Ennis. He has had a very productive and lucrative NBA career. Scheduled to make more than 31 million dollars for his career through the 2021 season.

5) Paul Harris (France) - I had no idea Paul was still playing hoops. Good to see. I doubt he's making "set up for life" money, so I hope he has other plans after his career is over. A very shady website put his net worth at between 1 million and 5 million. He made the smart decision in 2014 to move overseas where the money is more plentiful. Paul's current team in the top league in France had a salary budget of about 1.8 million dollars in 2014. It's not done like this, but divide by 12 and you figure Paul is probably (five years later) making well over year $100,000 a year there.

6) Wes Johnson (Washington Wizards) - No one was disappointed when he left. Outside of Melo he had all the tools he needed to succeed in the NBA. A well respected journeyman who has carved out a niche for himself with each team he plays for. Net worth of about 32 million dollars.

7) Tyler Lydon (Denver Nuggets) - I think it's too early to tell for Mali and Tyler. Tyler has played more in the G League than in the NBA, and I believe he was hurt this past season. Still, the guaranteed contract netted him more than 4 million dollars.

8) Chris McCullough (China, G League, PR) - Chris, we hardly knew ye! Wish he had stayed another year because I really think it would have helped him. He did sneak into the first round though, so he got that guaranteed cash. 4 million dollars is more than I'll make in my life so I'd say he's set himself up well.

9) Malachi Richardson (Toronto Raptors) - Like Lydon, I still think Mali may latch on somewhere. Again though, he's 4 million dollars richer. If he can get that second contract (same with Lydon) they will be set up for good.

10) Dion Waiters (Miami Heat) - Our chunky baby boy! Dion has been an enigma in the NBA. Sometimes a dominant player, sometimes out of shape and out of his depth. If we judge based solely on money though? Dude made the absolute right call. Through 2021 he's scheduled to make 63 million for his career. Yah, that's not too bad.

So what's the point? Outside of Paul Harris all of these guys made really good decisions. They are all multimillionaires, with some of them setting up their family for generations. Even Jonny Flynn netted close to 10 million dollars.

It seems most of our early entrants have made good decisions for themselves. I think that may end with Oshae and Tyus, although I believe they both could easily end up with lucrative careers in Europe.
Or end up as scrubs on the Lakers as depth?

League minimum is $500k, which after tax and fees is like $100k

Here's that list:

1) Carmelo Anthony (FA) - Dude is rich AF. Good decision. Net worth of about 120 million. Made nearly 250 million in his career.

2) Michael Carter-Williams (Orlando Magic) - Not a great player in the NBA, but he's still in the league and is a multi millionaire. Made about 14.5 million.

6) Wes Johnson (Washington Wizards) - No one was disappointed when he left. Outside of Melo he had all the tools he needed to succeed in the NBA. A well respected journeyman who has carved out a niche for himself with each team he plays for. Made about 32 million dollars.

If Melo is only worth 120 million he did a horrible job managing his money. These "net worth" websites are hilarious. They make it seem like everyone is parking their money in treasuries.

Here's that list:

Good post but I don't think "not disappointed" means what you think it means (re: Wes).

If Melo is only worth 120 million he did a horrible job managing his money. These "net worth" websites are hilarious. They make it seem like everyone is parking their money in treasuries.
Yah I debated whether to put that in, because a dude who has made upward of 200 million should have MORE than that at the end of his career if it’s managed correctly. That’s generational money.

Or end up as scrubs on the Lakers as depth?

WUT??? :rolleyes:

Tax and FEES? Fees?

So, professional athletes are the only people who pay taxes on their incomes?

For what other occupation would people discount and dismiss their earnings because of “tax and fees”?

Oh, did you hear? Bob just got a new job!
He’s making $150,000 now!

Yeah, but, after tax and fees, that’s only like $30k. :p

WUT??? :rolleyes:

Tax and FEES? Fees?

So, professional athletes are the only people who pay taxes on their incomes?

For what other occupation would people discount and dismiss their earnings because of “tax and fees”?

Oh, did you hear? Bob just got a new job!
He’s making $150,000 now!

Yeah, but, after tax and fees, that’s only like $30k. :p

Bob was never a very good negotiator.

you pay your agent and the taxman and any other pr /handlers/staff you got. earn all your income in a short span it disappears quickly. no need to even cite facts here. we all know the stories. rich to broke is too common.

Melo may have lost a great deal of money (stock value on paper) around 2008/2009, like millions of people did. I don't know what he's invested in, though. Yeah, he likes his pricey wines, and the occasional rooftop penthouse. But he's also thrown several million at S.U., and seems to have helped out relatives (who had nothing). Hard to judge a person by their current worth.

Harris posts on social media a lot and always positive things about cuse. He is a really nice guy. I know there were a lot of rumors about him beint a problem when he was here, which there is probably some truth to, but ive also heard jonny was a lot worse. Would be curious to know from insiders if that is true.

I remember being at Manley Field House for a high school hoop one day event where Scoop and Jackson’s team was there, and Donte Greene’s team was there.

Harris was there signing autographs for everybody, taking pictures, talking and laughing with the little kids, etc. He looked like the Mayor.

I met one of his and Flynn’s high school teammates a few years ago(he noticed my Cuse shirt and started a convo) and he talked like Flynn and Harris loved it at Cuse.

Melo may have lost a great deal of money (stock value on paper) around 2008/2009, like millions of people did. I don't know what he's invested in, though. Yeah, he likes his pricey wines, and the occasional rooftop penthouse. But he's also thrown several million at S.U., and seems to have helped out relatives (who had nothing). Hard to judge a person by their current worth.

Melo also had a sneaker endorsement deal and signature shoe for most of his career, which I’m sure he made good money off of.

Melo also had a sneaker endorsement deal and signature shoe for most of his career, which I’m sure he made good money off of.

Melo made the type of money that even an incompetent person with ridiculously frivolous spending habits couldnt burn through in a lifetime. Probably.

Didn't he get divorced?

Assuming taxes are about $220K... what fees make up the $180K? Personal expenses? You really think agents make that much off these minor contracts?

Unless you play in TX, FL, or a no State income tax team you are losing 38% of all money you sign for.

Melo played in NYC so he paid the millionaires tax as well there. Rich people in NYC pay 12.7% on taxes.
So Melo only having “120 million” is not crazy.
The tax man, his advisors, property eat up your money.

No. Agents make 10 percent MAX on large contracts. This is all over the internet and the minimum salary is attached here for this year.

NBA Minimum Salaries For 2019/20
Plus federal and state taxes. Financial advisor fees, 401k, union dues, etc

Money goes quick

Ever see Andrew McCutcheon paystub?

Pay-Stub-.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online