How do Izzo and Pitino do it? | Syracusefan.com

How do Izzo and Pitino do it?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
How do Izzo and Pitino get their teams to peak heading into post-season play almost every year? It's very rare that you see a Lville or MSU team slumping in post season play. They seem to always be on an upswing. What's the secret formula that allows for their teams to look like a mess in January and early February but get it all together by March?

I would say more Pitino. MSU seems to peak going into the tourney but they usually have a ceiling.

experimenting with different lineups, seeing what works, what doesn't work, what works really well, etc.
Ironically, JB does this in November/December when he's always the most successful. If championships were handed out on December 31st we'd have won dozens under JB.

Again, 2 of the 3 teams I'd like to avoid if I was the rest of the field (wisconsin another).

I would say more Pitino. MSU seems to peak going into the tourney but they usually have a ceiling.
Izzo has made the Final Four in 6 out of the 18 seasons at MSU. He did only manage to win one, but the Final Four is a nice ceiling to have.

Pitino has made the Final Four in 3 out of 12 years at coach at Lville, winning one. He also made the Elite 8 two other years during that span. Amazing stat is that he's never lost a Sweet 16 game at Lville - he's the anti-Boeheim in that regard.

Taking nothing away from Izzo or other coaches.. no one...NO ONE...gets more out of his players than Rick Pitino. He proved that early...back in '87 taking a Providence team with a great shooter, a decent second guard and a couple of bangers to the Final 4.

Could very interesting...a Florida -Louisville final is a real possibility...pitting that great shooter from '87, Billy Donovan, against his old coach.

Izzo has made the Final Four in 6 out of the 18 seasons at MSU. He did only manage to win one, but the Final Four is a nice ceiling to have.

Pitino has made the Final Four in 3 out of 12 years at coach at Lville, winning one. He also made the Elite 8 two other years during that span. Amazing stat is that he's never lost a Sweet 16 game at Lville - he's the anti-Boeheim in that regard.
If pitino didn't leave Kentucky he might generally regarded as the best coach ever. He still might get there. Izzo is great as well. Most don't match up with them.

well, they have a bench and try different things throughout the year even if it means early losses in the beginning part of the season because they(especially ricky) know having more variety and versatility on your team comes into handy down the stretch and in MARCH.. They change their styles of play, defense, new offensive sets... The way they play MAKES teams play into their tempo and that is the trait of a great team.. Syracuses zone forces a slower tempo which is usually not their strength... Especially not this year with absolutely no half court offense

Taking nothing away from Izzo or other coaches.. no one...NO ONE...gets more out of his players than Rick Pitino.

Interesting how perception changes.

2006 NIT
2007 second round loss
2008 elite 8
2009 elite 8 (but lost as the overall number one)
2010 one and done
2011 one and done

Interesting how perception changes.

2006 NIT
2007 second round loss
2008 elite 8
2009 elite 8 (but lost as the overall number one)
2010 one and done
2011 one and done
Why did you cut off the last two years when they went to the Final Four?

I'd gladly take two first round losses sandwiched in between two Elite 8's and two Final Fours, culminating with a National Championship.

I'm still amazed he's never lost in the Sweet 16.

If pitino didn't leave Kentucky he might generally regarded as the best coach ever. He still might get there. Izzo is great as well. Most don't match up with them.

Pitino is THE best college coach in my mind. He is the only coach to take 3 different programs to the Final 4, and has won NC at 2 different schools. His ability to manage in game situations is unmatched. And somehow, he is able to demand every last ounce of effort and talent from every team he coaches.

He is doing it again this year.

Izzo? He was forced too because of the injuries. Lets not pretend to think that these guys would have played if their team was healthy.

Please.

Pitino is THE best college coach in my mind. He is the only coach to take 3 different programs to the Final 4, and has won NC at 2 different schools. His ability to manage in game situations is unmatched. And somehow, he is able to demand every last ounce of effort and talent from every team he coaches.

He is doing it again this year.
pitino is currently the best coach in cbb period... not even a debate

Izzo? He was forced too because of the injuries. Lets not pretend to think that these guys would have played if their team was healthy.

Please.
izzo played 9 to start the year? They had nine guys play 8+ minutes in their 4 point win to kentucky.

Disclaimer: Praising other HC's and their coaching philosophy, and/or results, is in no way, shape, or form an indictment of James Arthur Boeheim.
Figured I'd throw that in there. ;)

Why did you cut off the last two years when they went to the Final Four?

I'd gladly take two first round losses sandwiched in between two Elite 8's and two Final Fours, culminating with a National Championship.

I'm still amazed he's never lost in the Sweet 16.

I intentionally left off 2012 and 2013. Card fans were talking about Pitino being past his prime in early March of 2012. He is and always has been a great coach. The national perception was just vastly different then than it is now. Kind of like Boeheim from 2005-2008.

Overall I agree with you though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom