How does Dino fix the running game? | Syracusefan.com

How does Dino fix the running game?

HRE Otto IV

All American
His O really is a run heavy O by design but in none of the 5 years here has he been able to get the running game really going. So what is the issue? How can it be fixed? When can we expect to see it fixed?

One of these things is not like the others
One of these things just doesn't belong
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

RB only YPG and YPC

#1 161.36 ypg and 5.4 ypc
#2 108.75 ypg and 4.47 ypc
#3 131.9 ypg and 4.99 ypc

#2 adjusted 115.08 ypg and 4.57 ypc
#2 adjusted again 108.35 ypg and 4.55 ypc

So #1 is Dino's RBs combined over his 28 games as BG HC. While #2 is his RBs over his 59 games at SU. The first adjusted number is throwing away this season's numbers. The 2nd adjusted is his 1st three years. For #3 that is the Dino inspired O at Kent State the last three seasons.

It is pretty obvious that the run game has been a failure here. Even in 2018 we only had 143.23 ypg from our RBs. That is our high mark for an O that is designed to have over 150 yards from its RBs. Dino's 1st two years we had under 90 ypg from RBs. We have been a complete failure at running the ball three out of the 5 years. The other two we have been mediocre at best.

Even if next season is mediocre, will it be enough to get us to 6 Ws? Can we expect mediocre given what we have seen this year? Does the system not work in the ACC? or is this all on the OL? if it is the OL, how does it get fixed next year?

ummm i can sum this up in one sentence. have an atleast mediocre offensive line. this entire season is because of how awful our o line is. qb injurys, d injurys...the defense getting gassed out us losing cisco and trill, literally everything.

ummm i can sum this up in one sentence. have an atleast mediocre offensive line. this entire season is because of how awful our o line is. qb injurys, d injurys...the defense getting gassed out us losing cisco and trill, literally everything.

Again taking this year out the first four years were no good either. What was the excuse then?

Teams like Clemson and Alabama and Michigan will always get top O-Line recruits. But other teams like Wisconsin and even BC (gag!) have routinely recruited well at that position even as their coaches have changed and been replaced over the years. Syracuse will always have to claw and scratch to get top flight offensive skills players. But there is evidence to suggest that a team like Syracuse CAN get quality Offensive linemen. We just haven’t been successful at getting enough of them over the last 20-25 years. We need to focus on that. I don’t care how fast you play. If you want to move the ball, you need good linemen.

We have proven we can get/develop quality DBs and even DLine guys. Punters. Kickers. Hell, I’m convinced we are good at RB for a while - though you have to keep bringing those guys in.

Right now it’s: QB (I like Lamson, but we probably need another guy, maybe a transfer) and find a way to upgrade OL. We have some new OL recruits coming in next year, but we may need to portal this position.

I think he needs more than just a better o line. We basically have one running play which is a dive/inside zone.

Do you remember the play they ran against Georgia tech where I think rhino pulled and they collapsed the entire right side of the tech line for an easy touchdown? I’d like to see more of that.

As currently constituted the run game is north south. Teams really don’t loon for any misdirection because we never run it- no misdirection, no designed cutbacks and no reverses.

Don’t get me wrong having some studs up front at G-C-G would be great and would help the run game immensely- and may actually make the inside zone a viable play. But they really need to use the entire field in the run game. Wouldn’t you love to see Jordan and pena running jet sweeps from the slot?

Not sure what you mean by “run heavy by design” or “designed to have over 150 yards running”. It is a pass happy spread that hopes to have some running off guard to provide some balance and stay away from second and long. Not much different from any other spread offense. To fulfill that hope, you have to have a strong center and guards who can open holes.
We don’t have a line that can run block. Haven’t had a special RB either.

I think it's two things. A healthy oline and a WR group that makes defenses feel threatened down field.

yes the WRs we currently have don’t scare anyone, so it is pretty damn easy to take the run away and when you toss in a bad OL it is even easier to take it away. Have a 2018 level OL, better WRs and a QB with good field sense and the entire offense gets fixed, running game included

You ask for reasons, he gives a reason, you call it an excuse. Why don't you just give your answer that we can ignore instead of being a jackass to people who answer your question

Only jackass in this thread is you. He said this year we stink because of the OL but that doesn't explain years 1-4. Which was why the follow up comment.

Not sure what you mean by “run heavy by design” or “designed to have over 150 yards running”. It is a pass happy spread that hopes to have some running off guard to provide some balance and stay away from second and long. Not much different from any other spread offense. To fulfill that hope, you have to have a strong center and guards who can open holes.
We don’t have a line that can run block. Haven’t had a special RB either.

That is not what Dino wants. We were forced to become pass happy in 2016 and 2017 due to our inability to run the ball. If you remember in those games we tried to run the ball the first half then in the 2nd half slung it around. 2018 was more what he ideally wants. This isn't the Leach O.

So over the last 20 years I would say at best we had average line play in 4 or 5 years total. ED hid a ton of our oline issues in the 10 win season and he was still sacked like 39 times that year. We have in recent history had challenges there. So our oline continues to need help. Second if we cannot pass, teams will continue to crowd the line and dare us to beat them throwing. So we need some success passing. Lastly and I say this allot but having a mobile QB helps the run game, the oline and the passing game.

Teams like Clemson and Alabama and Michigan will always get top O-Line recruits. But other teams like Wisconsin and even BC (gag!) have routinely recruited well at that position even as their coaches have changed and been replaced over the years. Syracuse will always have to claw and scratch to get top flight offensive skills players. But there is evidence to suggest that a team like Syracuse CAN get quality Offensive linemen. We just haven’t been successful at getting enough of them over the last 20-25 years. We need to focus on that. I don’t care how fast you play. If you want to move the ball, you need good linemen.

We have proven we can get/develop quality DBs and even DLine guys. Punters. Kickers. Hell, I’m convinced we are good at RB for a while - though you have to keep bringing those guys in.

Right now it’s: QB (I like Lamson, but we probably need another guy, maybe a transfer) and find a way to upgrade OL. We have some new OL recruits coming in next year, but we may need to portal this position.
Are you aware that Addazio routinely recruited at the bottom of the ACC for Oline? We recruited better(by about 1 point in the grading system.) Addazio coached them up.. Marrone coached our guys up. Oline is coaching and developement. They all need work coming in.

I think it's two things. A healthy oline and a WR group that makes defenses feel threatened down field.

We had those things in 2016 and 2017 yet we could not run the ball. 2018 was our best running year and we had our weakest down field threat in years 1-3.

If we need a Top 1/3 of the conference OL to actually see this O as Dino ideally wants, we may never get there. We need to be able to run the ball with middle of the pack OLmen.

Again taking this year out the first four years were no good either. What was the excuse then?
10-3 season they could atleast somewhat protect anddd ugh we went 10-3

That is not what Dino wants. We were forced to become pass happy in 2016 and 2017 due to our inability to run the ball. If you remember in those games we tried to run the ball the first half then in the 2nd half slung it around. 2018 was more what he ideally wants. This isn't the Leach O.
Well, if Dino wants to run the ball for balance, he needs to do more than hope. Might use a two back lineup more, bring in linemen who can run block, use a dual QB. Can’t simply say he wants 150 yd running when his lineup isn’t geared to that. It gets exposed as wishful thinking.

Not sure I would want Macky at this time. For those down on Cav he has put guys in the NFL. I don't know if it's him or not. He is easy to blame but concepts are concepts. Is it Cavs fault his team doesn't have the strength to push dline off the line? Is it Cavs fault our receivers can't catch or our 2nd, 3rd and 4th string QBs can barely run an offense? Is it Cavs fault that Babers chose not to recruit oline harder? Are the injuries his fault? I am not saying he might not get his walking papers but I am also not sure blame falls on him 100%. Then again if the players are tuning him out and he has problems teaching that's different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom