How does UConn’s move to the NBE affect us? | Syracusefan.com

How does UConn’s move to the NBE affect us?

orangeinnyc

Starter
After reading that awful Nunes article, I was curious as to what the board thought the potential ramifications for Cuse would be, if any, regarding this move?

After reading that awful Nunes article, I was curious as to what the board thought the potential ramifications for Cuse would be, if any, regarding this move?
Ok- I read that article earlier, and I just reread it again to make sure that I’m not missing anything. What exactly is so awful about that article?
It’s true that UConn, if they start winning again, could pose a bigger threat in NE recruiting, especially now that they have the NBE to sell as opposed to the AAC.
That perspective is universally shared, so...where’s the controversy? Serious question.

Last edited:
personally, I'm going to have to retire this:

df7eja.jpg

Ok- I read that article earlier, and I just reread it again to make sure that I’m not missing anything. What exactly is so awful about that article?
It’s true that UConn, if they start winning again, could pose a bigger threat in NE recruiting, especially now that they have the NBE to sell, as opposed to the AAC.
That perspective is universally shared, so...where’s the controversy? Serious question.

Don't get the Nunes hate.

Literally anyone can write that article. Hate hard.

Now this is a great article

Simply put, Georgetown fans and alums hate the zombie Big East. It’s a steady stream of teams like Creighton, Butler and Providence that no one cares about. It’s sad. It’s even sadder to juxtapose the hatred here for the zombie Big East with UConn fans jumping for joy all weekend. The disconnect says a lot about how much UConn fans are stuck in the past.

We look down on them from a different angle.

It’s true that UConn, if they start winning again, could pose a bigger threat in NE recruiting, especially now that they have the NBE to sell, as opposed to the AAC.

Seems like a pretty big if though. They haven’t even been winning in the AAC.

Once Calhoun/original BE era recruits were gone, they’ve been a terrible program.

They’re basically hoping to be St. John’s/Seton Hall/Providence at this point. Those schools don’t bother us much, I doubt UConn will either.

Seems like a pretty big if though. They haven’t even been winning in the AAC.

Once Calhoun/original BE era recruits were gone, they’ve been a terrible program.

They’re basically hoping to be St. John’s/Seton Hall/Providence at this point. Those schools don’t bother us much, I doubt UConn will either.
Fair enough. The real question will be if Hurley is a good enough recruiter or not. But is there a legit cause of concern moving forward? I believe that possibility is greater now then it was before their move. And I'm speaking solely in regards to recruiting, not national relevance. I don't see Nova 2.0, at least not yet.

It’s true that UConn, if they start winning again, could pose a bigger threat in NE recruiting, especially now that they have the NBE to sell as opposed to the AAC.

Well I just think there was no real analysis. All it came down to was if UConn wins they’ll recruit better. I just think that can be applied to pretty much any school, Nova etc. was curious to what the board thought, which I believe is more informed and better opinionated.

all that matters is how gracefully do we handle the coaching transition and how soon does it happen. we already screwed up by letting Hopkins walk, we can't afford a second mistake on coaching or this development could hurt us if it turns out that hurley can actually coach and isn't just a weird buzz Williams light type crazy guy.

Not sure why this is such a "big deal" to them; in the short term while the Nova runs are still in people's head, people may try to equate them to that given their history. Fact of the matter is their "big time" P5 dreams and aspirations are dashed forever, they are relegated to a conference full of small catholic/private schools -- so they can be the regional afterthought they are. Let them chase Seton Hall and the like for the rest of eternity. We have bigger fish to fry.

Not sure why this is such a "big deal" to them; in the short term while the Nova runs are still in people's head, people may try to equate them to that given their history. Fact of the matter is their "big time" P5 dreams and aspirations are dashed forever, they are relegated to a conference full of small catholic/private schools -- so they can be the regional afterthought they are. Let them chase Seton Hall and the like for the rest of eternity. We have bigger fish to fry.
it is absolutely insane that they are giving up football to play basketball with that group. the aac is only a playoff expansion to 8 teams from being able to put a team in the playoff. and they gave it up for nothing.

If indeed its does help them, and I think it is at the very least conceivable that it might (though not likely), then the ACC 5-7 years down the road could have an equally conceivable (though not likely) move they can exercise that would make it moot especially since by then it will be apparent to even the ACC leadership that Notre Dame will never join fully in football (although the checkmate bb-centric move wouldn't prevent that happening if the Irish ever did change their mind about that in the 2030s and beyond).

The three reasons not to consider this checkmate bb-centric move are: 1) the ACCN being an even bigger success than the most optimistic forecasts currently have it 5-7 years down the road; 2) the presumed price of Texas joining the ACC on a partial basis like ND (an option that is unlikely overall - but is basically the best ACC football expansion could hope for outside of ND and/or Texas in full); and/or 3) the Big East with UConn doesn't fair much better in bb than they currently are.

Of course this checkmate move goes back to a concept that I once advocated for from back in the Big East days, a partial hybrid conference where the overwhelming majority of schools are football schools (though not one I would have thought we might need to do in the ACC), with the marquee bb-centric schools limited to 3-4. This might also address the Wake Forest issue as their ability to remain competitive in football will be endangered once the paradigm of college athletics changes in the next decade. This latter possibility is why it is vital we become a football-centric school ASAP, which means keeping Dino very happy for the next 5-6 years or so. Having him here longer than that will be hard to do, imho. But while he is here for hopefully the next 5-6 years, that is the time frame we basically have to rebuild the foundation since as we can tell so far with our 2020 football recruiting a single 10 win season isn't enough. Since we are in the northeast, not the greatest city location, adequate but not great facilities, and not in a prime recruiting area/state, we are going to need 3-4 more such seasons over a 5-6 year span before we can get back to our late 80s through mid-90s football status. Without that, we also (same as WF) will likely have an issue under the coming paradigm shift in college athletics.

Those are my thoughts anyways.

Cheers,
Neil

If indeed its does help them, and I think it is at the very least conceivable that it might (though not likely), then the ACC 5-7 years down the road could have an equally conceivable (though not likely) move they can exercise that would make it moot especially since by then it will be apparent to even the ACC leadership that Notre Dame will never join fully in football (although the checkmate bb-centric move wouldn't prevent that happening if the Irish ever did change their mind about that in the 2030s and beyond).

The three reasons not to consider this checkmate bb-centric move are: 1) the ACCN being an even bigger success than the most optimistic forecasts currently have it 5-7 years down the road; 2) the presumed price of Texas joining the ACC on a partial basis like ND (an option that is unlikely overall - but is basically the best ACC football expansion could hope for outside of ND and/or Texas in full); and/or 3) the Big East with UConn doesn't fair much better in bb than they currently are.

Of course this checkmate move goes back to a concept that I once advocated for from back in the Big East days, a partial hybrid conference where the overwhelming majority of schools are football schools (though not one I would have thought we might need to do in the ACC), with the marquee bb-centric schools limited to 3-4. This might also address the Wake Forest issue as their ability to remain competitive in football will be endangered once the paradigm of college athletics changes in the next decade. This latter possibility is why it is vital we become a football-centric school ASAP, which means keeping Dino very happy for the next 5-6 years or so. Having him here longer than that will be hard to do, imho. But while he is here for hopefully the next 5-6 years, that is the time frame we basically have to rebuild the foundation since as we can tell so far with our 2020 football recruiting a single 10 win season isn't enough. Since we are in the northeast, not the greatest city location, adequate but not great facilities, and not in a prime recruiting area/state, we are going to need 3-4 more such seasons over a 5-6 year span before we can get back to our late 80s through mid-90s football status. Without that, we also (same as WF) will likely have an issue under the coming paradigm shift in college athletics.

Those are my thoughts anyways.

Cheers,
Neil
Pardon my ignorance--what is the "checkmate bb-centric move"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom