How freaking good is Maliq Brown? | Syracusefan.com

How freaking good is Maliq Brown?

RF2044

Living Legend
Man, I love his game. So smooth -- always in the right place, always moving without the ball to position himself to get the ball, great hands, and he's got a fantastic left hand. Great feel around the paint, with hesitations mixed in to let defenders go past him and set himself up for better shots.

Career high 18 points today.

Kid is really good. He's the best low post forward we've had since Hakim, in my opinion.

He has the knack that Benny doesn’t. Seems like good things just happen around him or because of him. Whereas Benny seems snake bit, even when he does things right, they seem to go wrong a high percentage of the time.

100% right on.

Im going with Ricky Jackson comparison though. Straight up power forwards. Hak could play the wing but point taken.

Ricky had the same intangibles, right place, hi field IQ, rebounder, good hands, a little handle and make all the bunnies. Browns game is refreshing.

Last edited:
The amazing thing is he is doing it despite teams knowing we aren't going to just chuck 3s.

You can actually see JB run stuff for Jesse to work with Benny early in games on the block and while it's been working in stretches, when Brown comes in to run the same stuff it's been extremely hard for teams to stop.

Proving ball players don’t HAVE to hit threes all game to have a major impact on the game.

Glad JB finally recognized what’s been very obvious all year.
I don't think that anybody feels that power forwards have to hit 3's. They just want him to do power forward things, and that is what he is doing. I'm sure that Maliq will be working on extending his range beyond a few feet though in the off-season. He got lost in the zone a few times as well. Baby steps on those development areas, however. I love the way that the guards are looking for him near the basket and how he and Jesse work together. Solid game for him and he is really becoming a force.

This is why I was so angry that he only played 13 minutes against Miami. He plays 30 we win the game. You won’t convince me otherwise.

Brown didn't have a typical game against Miami. So you could make the counter-argument that if he played normally and produced [say, 10 points] the way he has the last 6 out of 7 games, we win.

This is why I was so angry that he only played 13 minutes against Miami. He plays 30 we win the game. You won’t convince me otherwise.
One of JB’s biggest issues during this near one decade slide is actually playing his best players in their best positions. This is about the 4th different year this has happened.

Brown didn't have a typical game against Miami. So you could make the counter-argument that if he played normally and produced [say, 10 points] the way he has the last 6 out of 7 games, we win.
He didn’t, but you have to think he grabs at least one of those rebounds we gave up second chance points on in the second half the other night.

If you didn't read it then, this is a profile of Maliq from May 2022 after he committed. It's subscriber only but describes his game in high school and it's exactly what we have seen at SU.

"And Brown, Lemcke said, personified the concept of team basketball player. He wanted to win but didn’t need the glory of 20 shots each game to achieve that goal. Instead, he hustled, defended, rebounded and set screens."

He was also a really good student - 3.2 GPA, favorite subjects physics and math. He's just a really smart young man on and off the court it seems.

He didn’t, but you have to think he grabs at least one of those rebounds we gave up second chance points on in the second half the other night.

Agreed. But I think it was one of those things where when he got into the game, he didn't do much, so Boeheim didn't play him the way he has other nights.

If Brown had made a bit more happen, then maybe he would have gotten more run.

But enough ifs and buts -- Maliq Brown is a stud.

Underrated aspect of his game. He’s excellent at anticipating where passes are headed and makes these soft, directed deflections that not only get us the ball, but put us in immediate attack mode

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom