How good are we? | Syracusefan.com

How good are we?

skurey

Living Legend
10-1 ranked #1 but 7-1 in 1 goal games with a few ridiculous comebacks.

Are we the best team in the country? Best odds to win it all?

10-1 ranked #1 but 7-1 in 1 goal games with a few ridiculous comebacks.

Are we the best team in the country? Best odds to win it all?

Really good team but not great. Have some outstanding players but there are a few holes that teams could exploit. This team could make it to Memorial day or lose in the quarterfinals and it wouldn't really surprise me. Two teams we need to avoid as long a possible are Maryland and Duke they are the best built teams to give us fits.

We keep playing with fire. Maybe, we are just a bunch of pyromaniacs.

Seriously, we will not win a title if we keep putting ourselves in these situations.

I think we are good enough to win the title, but even despite being #1, we have too much inconsistency. If we can to add consistency to the mix we can go all the way. D is very solid, man-up is very solid, and Ben needs to stay strong. There will definitely be some tourney games when the hot goalie decides. If it is our guy we can win it all. Molloy is good enough, but sometimes he can miss a couple and if the other guy can get hot we can be beaten. There is just not much to separate the top four or five teams, but we are absolutely a player in that mix.

I think were damn good. If we are playing like they did in the 1st and 4th quarters, we will be extremely tough to beat. Just need to put it all together.

My take: Syracuse is very good, not as good as previous Syracuse teams, but certainly good enough to win it all. The key here is that they never give up nor do they get stressed out when behind in the score nor when the clock is running down. That mentality can go a long ways to carrying a scrappy team to a championship.

One point about the 1 point games, aren't most of the close games against really good teams? Seriously, how many teams play as tough a schedule as Syracuse, year in and year out. Most teams have several easy wins, Syracuse schedules only a few body bag games per season. If teh Orange played most other schedules, I would expect several more Hobart scores in the mix.

There are a lot of scorers, Desko and staff need to recognize who has the hot hand that day early in the game and give him good looks.

There are a lot of scorers, Desko and staff need to recognize who has the hot hand that day early in the game and give him good looks.
I think Quint/Anish had it right. If opponents are going to double-pole Salcido/Mariano, then Rehfuss needs to be on the field because he is much more likely to beat a short stick on a dodge than Bomberry is. If they put a pole on him too, then Solomon may be the go-to guy.

This doesn't mean that the two AA middies have to abandon their game. They'll probably match up against long sticks who aren't as good as Pifani and Rowlett as the season plays out.

gotta clean up the silly mistakes and turnovers. we shot ourselves clean thru both feet today and still limped home and pulled out the W. cut down on the turnovers (bad passes, no backup, etc)
and we are indeed a dangerous team. play silly ball and anybody can beat us. execution is key.

I think Quint/Anish had it right. If opponents are going to double-pole Salcido/Mariano, then Rehfuss needs to be on the field because he is much more likely to beat a short stick on a dodge than Bomberry is. If they put a pole on him too, then Solomon may be the go-to guy.

This doesn't mean that the two AA middies have to abandon their game. They'll probably match up against long sticks who aren't as good as Pifani and Rowlett as the season plays out.
Rehfuss is like a knife, slash and score.

gotta clean up the silly mistakes and turnovers. we shot ourselves clean thru both feet today and still limped home and pulled out the W. cut down on the turnovers (bad passes, no backup, etc)
and we are indeed a dangerous team. play silly ball and anybody can beat us. execution is key.
Check the stats. Only 8 turnovers, and a big advantage in GBs.

Pretty much echo everyone's sentiments here. We're very good; capable of winning the 'ship but a couple of teams I wouldn't be thrilled to play are Denver and Maryland (right now I think we would be a slight underdog against those teams).In particular, Maryland owned us pretty good in that quarterfinal game last year and like Denver they return many of the same players (many of them seniors). Maryland's defense really gave us fits and offensively we would have to add a couple new wrinkles to neutralize their individual match-up advantage. Going forward hope to see Rehfuss get more minutes because I expect more teams to double pole Mariano and Salcido.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom