How much does Syracuse spend on each sport? | Syracusefan.com

How much does Syracuse spend on each sport?

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Football
2017-18 spending:
$25 million (45th in the country)
2016-17 spending: $22 million (50th in the country)
Who ranks No. 1? Alabama ($62.9 million)
ACC rank: 9 (Florida State is No. 2 at $57.7 million)
Notes: Football is the only sport in which Syracuse ranks in the bottom half of the ACC in spending.
The fact that the Orange went 10-3 last year and finished ranked No. 15 in the AP Top 25 is especially impressive considering the team that ranked No. 15 in spending was Michigan, which spent $43.5 million.
Still, the five-spot climb in spending ranking is the largest boost that Syracuse had in any single sport, and the spending should increase in future years as head coach Dino Babers’ new contract is added to the mix.
Babers and athletic director John Wildhack have talked about making targeted investments in critical areas of the football program, a reality that is indicated by the Orange’s small boost up this list from last year and the $3 million increase in football spending.
It's worth noting that while Syracuse ranks ninth in the ACC, only three teams (Florida State, Clemson and Miami) spend substantially more. Most of the league reports spending amounts within $3 million of Syracuse's total.
The football program is one of two sports at the school that turn a profit.

So the SU AD took in 93 million in revenue, which is 13 million more than UCONN, but spent only 77 million dollars, which is actually LESS than UCONN. Interesting.

What is done with the other 13 million in revenue? Is it held away for projects like the dome? If not shouldn’t it be used to increase money towards the programs till they break even?

What is done with the other 13 million in revenue? Is it held away for projects like the dome? If not shouldn’t it be used to increase money towards the programs till they break even?

Good question. Some posters in the past had suggested that surplus AD funds were once re-directed to support programs outside the AD. I don't know if that still goes on or not (or even if my recollection is accurate!)

Spending for the sake of spending is not ideal. SU football continues to invest smartly and making improvements where Dino and John think is appropriate. I don’t think money is the issue. If we start filling the Dome for football the additional revenue will be even greater.

Sold out Dome
ACCN gets rolling
Spending should start to increase football and maybe we get some of those "advisers" the big boys get on the staff lol (Alabama has a football staff of around 90 ppl).

Three schools out of 127 make more than $30M in Hoops and $40M in Football, Lville ($43/$44), SU ($32/$42), UK ($31/$40).

Duke is close at ($36/$38)

BTW football might drive the bus overall, but in the ACC, it's much more balanced.

4 of the top 10 hoops revenue schools are ACC, Lville, Duke, SU (1,2,3), UNC (7). Those four schools account for 12% of total mens hoop revenue in the 2017 report.

I'm surprised at how much we are spending on some of the Olympic sports. I can't imagine rowing being an expensive sport to operate, yet we spent almost as much on women's rowing as we did women's lax. Interesting.

Also and this may be sacrilege, but I'd think a spending freeze for a year on the lax programs would be justified. The results are not justifying the means

I'm surprised at how much we are spending on some of the Olympic sports. I can't imagine rowing being an expensive sport to operate, yet we spent almost as much on women's rowing as we did women's lax. Interesting.

Also and this may be sacrilege, but I'd think a spending freeze for a year on the lax programs would be justified. The results are not justifying the means
Rowing has probably the 2nd or 3rd largest roster in the whole department behind football and lacrosse. And the equipment like boats and paddles are not cheap, neither are indoor training facilities. Women's rowing is also growing like crazy.

Edit - I just checked, there are 36 women on the crew team and 3 coaches.

55 on lacrosse roster
85+ on the football team

Last edited:
So the SU AD took in 93 million in revenue, which is 13 million more than UCONN, but spent only 77 million dollars, which is actually LESS than UCONN. Interesting.
All that and the Dome revenue isn't factored in as it is considered a separate revenue source and not part of the athletic department.

Shell game for reporting to the federal government.

So your idea of how to fix the issues with lacrosse is to cut money on it? How would spending less money help?

Rowing has probably the 2nd or 3rd largest roster in the whole department behind football and lacrosse. And the equipment like boats and paddles are not cheap, neither are indoor training facilities. Women's rowing is also growing like crazy.

Edit - I just checked, there are 36 women on the crew team and 3 coaches.

55 on lacrosse roster
85+ on the football team

Women's Rowing has a limit of 20.0 scholarships, divided up between all the players.

Men's LAX has a limit of 12.6 scholarships divided up.

Football is 85 scholarships.

Football
2017-18 spending:
$25 million (45th in the country)
2016-17 spending: $22 million (50th in the country)
Who ranks No. 1? Alabama ($62.9 million)
ACC rank: 9 (Florida State is No. 2 at $57.7 million)
Notes: Football is the only sport in which Syracuse ranks in the bottom half of the ACC in spending.
The fact that the Orange went 10-3 last year and finished ranked No. 15 in the AP Top 25 is especially impressive considering the team that ranked No. 15 in spending was Michigan, which spent $43.5 million.
Still, the five-spot climb in spending ranking is the largest boost that Syracuse had in any single sport, and the spending should increase in future years as head coach Dino Babers’ new contract is added to the mix.
Babers and athletic director John Wildhack have talked about making targeted investments in critical areas of the football program, a reality that is indicated by the Orange’s small boost up this list from last year and the $3 million increase in football spending.
It's worth noting that while Syracuse ranks ninth in the ACC, only three teams (Florida State, Clemson and Miami) spend substantially more. Most of the league reports spending amounts within $3 million of Syracuse's total.
The football program is one of two sports at the school that turn a profit.
That last sentence speaks volumes.

Women's Rowing has a limit of 20.0 scholarships, divided up between all the players.

I wonder why lacrosse has such a low limit for scholarships? SU offers the maximum number allowed. Seems awful low for a sport that requires a lot of players and sometimes makes money...

I wonder why lacrosse has such a low limit for scholarships? SU offers the maximum number allowed. Seems awful low for a sport that requires a lot of players and sometimes makes money...

Baseball is 11.7

Men's Soccer is 9.9

Baseball is 11.7

Men's Soccer is 9.9
Those seem low too but lacrosse requires a lot more players than baseball or soccer. You might actually 13 or 14 players in a baseball game. The same applies for soccer.

How many players routinely play in a college lacrosse game? Around 25? Maybe more?

Those seem low too but lacrosse requires a lot more players than baseball or soccer. You might actually 13 or 14 players in a baseball game. The same applies for soccer.

How many players routinely play in a college lacrosse game? Around 25? Maybe more?

25-27. More in a blowout when we empty the bench.

We usually take 40 players to road games.

There's an NCAA roster limit of 32 for Tournament games.

SU turned a $16.7MM profit (not including Dome revenues, noted above). That is a very good ROI and soon the ACCN will increase that revenue. Yes, the new football salaries will eat some of this but as an SU fan, we should be happy that SU runs the whole program correctly (se RU, UCan't, and most other schools), and SU Is private to boot (State schools have far less commitment in tuition).

I am not concerned with the amount of football spending, ADJH and HCDB know what they are doing and the Chancellor and BOT have put SU's money where their mouth is. SU football spending will increase as necessary, but not recklessly.

I understand the limit part of it but the expenditure naturally would go up based on having more people on the roster. The other poster was talking about how much money was spent on Womens rowing, was just explaining why.

And I believe that I was pretty close.

Seems like the venue numbers are off. We should make considerably more than uconn based on tv contract. Wonder how uconn closes the gap. Also Uconn also ran a $40m deficit last year. If they had $80m in revenue, thats $120m in spending. That seems off as well.

Last edited:
So your idea of how to fix the issues with lacrosse is to cut money on it? How would spending less money help?
Spending money doesn't always solve problems

Lots of programs spending less that have had more success in recent years

And I didn't say cut, I said a freeze for one year

Seems like the venue numbers are off. We should make considerably more than uconn based on tv contract. Wonder how uconn closes the gap. Also Uconn also ran a $40m deficit last year. If they had $80m in revenue, thats $120m in spending. That seems off as well.

You are correct. UCONN's revenue was actually 40 million. Then they took a subsidy of another $40 million from student fees and instistitutional support to "balance" the budget.

So much misinformation...

These numbers don’t actually represent cash outflows from the university. Scholarships are included, and it doesn’t actually cost the university full SU tuition to add another body.

It only costs the university whatever the variable cost is to add another body within the range of an increase in the number of athletes that we have on campus. In theory, that number could actually be more than the cost of tuition (if there is a deficit and/or there is endowment money used to cover tuition), but in reality it’s probably far less than tuition, which also covers fixed costs (facilities upkeep, university back office, advertising, and so on).

Private schools have high nominal tuitions, so these numbers are especially distorted. (Applies to SU)

Also, schools with large AD’s (in terms of headcountbof athletes) are also especially distorted. (Does NOT apply to SU, but would apply to UConn being benchmarked off of SU).

There are also numerous intangible benefits (advertising, student life, alumni engagement, etc.) that aren’t reflected in these numbers, as well as countless university-specific nuisances, such as the Dome rental, media ‘tax,’ ACC entrance fee (which may still be ongoing), treatment of donations, and so on, which make it hard to comment on what’s actually happening with the money.

But as a general rule, unless an AD is swimming in more cash than they can responsibly spend, like ND, Texas, or Alabama, you’re an idiot if you don’t show a deficit.