How ND influenced the ACC to play this season (according to sources) | Syracusefan.com

How ND influenced the ACC to play this season (according to sources)

nd1973

Walk On
And if you're looking for another reason to hate Notre Dame, now you have it.

"Notre Dame really wanted to play and was willing to enter into an agreement that could lead to something down the road ... at the very least, more games every year against ACC teams," an insider shared. "They're adamance about playing was the ace-in-the-hole a group, led by Clemson, needed to really push for a season and turn the tide in favor of ignoring the Big Ten.

"I mean, if Notre Dame, with their academic reputation and their national brand, was willing to go forward ... it sort of just sealed the ACC's fate."

While the ACC and the SEC were not entirely on the same page (look at how they had different approaches to non-conference contests), they each provided the other with enough cover to plot out a season. The Big 12, and most prominently Texas, which didn't want to lose ground to the SEC powers while already trying to play catch-up, pushed forward too.

"Notre Dame really wanted to play and was willing to enter into an agreement that could lead to something down the road ... at the very least, more games every year against ACC teams," an insider shared. "They're adamance about playing was the ace-in-the-hole a group, led by Clemson, needed to really push for a season and turn the tide in favor of ignoring the Big Ten.

"I mean, if Notre Dame, with their academic reputation and their national brand, was willing to go forward ... it sort of just sealed the ACC's fate."

While the ACC and the SEC were not entirely on the same page (look at how they had different approaches to non-conference contests), they each provided the other with enough cover to plot out a season. The Big 12, and most prominently Texas, which didn't want to lose ground to the SEC powers while already trying to play catch-up, pushed forward too.

I wonder where Syracuse stood on this issue?

Duke, UNC, UVa, FT, FSU on one side.

Was everyone else on the other side? Kind of surprised to see FSU on this side and not see Wake.

So why the ACC third? Because many of the universities within the conference are esteemed educational schools, led by the same academic minds that populate the Big Ten. Particularly Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech and even Florida State (surprisingly, the No. 18 public university nationally) were supposed to be in lockstep with the Big Ten and wield enough power to force the entire ACC into following the Big Ten's lead.
I find this dig entertaining, not for any personal disdain for FSU, but by the Big 10's (self-professed) academic crowd (aka the illuminati) who believe that Indiana, Ohio State, Nebraska and/or Maryland are the academic equivalents of Dartmouth, Columbia, Brown and Penn. They simply cannot suppress their arrogance, even within the context of great public embarrassment.

I wonder where Syracuse stood on this issue?

Duke, UNC, UVa, FT, FSU on one side.

Was everyone else on the other side? Kind of surprised to see FSU on this side and not see Wake.
Are FSU and WFU aligned, unofficially.
Curious as to why you think this? (not saying you're wrong either)

Are FSU and WFU aligned, unofficially.
Curious as to why you think this? (not saying you're wrong either)
i think he means Wake is considered more of an academic first school than FSU, and thus, would expect them to side with cancelling the season... Wake is generally considered a top 30 school

i think he means Wake is considered more of an academic first school than FSU, and thus, would expect them to side with cancelling the season... Wake is generally considered a top 30 school
Correct. FSU and Clemson have historically been the most 'football first' schools in the conference. If the more academic oriented schools had their way, UConn would be in and UL would be out.

Why, to me experience to date shows you can conduct athletics with reasonable mitigations. I understand it's not the same as pro "bubbles" but why not given the risk of a bad outcomes for these players is statistically infinitesimal.

This is basically confirmation IMO Notre Dame will become a full time football member in the future.
The Irish dropped an elbow off the top rope to the Big Ten.

I don’t get why college players are playing but if we do I will enjoy the season. It’s a freebie for all the players and just keep the players safe from the virus.

This is basically confirmation IMO Notre Dame will become a full time football member in the future.
The Irish dropped an elbow off the top rope to the Big Ten.

I don’t get why college players are playing but if we do I will enjoy the season. It’s a freebie for all the players and just keep the players safe from the virus.
I do not know if I agree with the full-membership part but this was a giant middle finger to the Big Ten.

Wake is the covert agent in the ACC according to the other NC Mafia
Georgia Tech ACC board jokingly call Wake the absolute power of the conference.

Although I thought SU pushed for Louisville and not UConn.
UNC and Duke wanted Syracuse and UConn because of hoops when the conference expanded in 2011.
BC pushed back and so Pittsburgh was chosen with Syracuse.
When Maryland left the ACC, Clemson and Florida State threatened to go to the Big XII and used their political capital to push for Louisville over UConn.
Syracuse, Boston College, Miami Pittsburgh,Virginia Tech backed FSU/Clemson wanting Louisville over UConn.

The ACC compromised and sacrificed academics for the football program of Louisville.
Florida State and Clemson didn’t want another basketball first Northeast school and now UConn football is basically dead.

UNC and Duke wanted Syracuse and UConn because of hoops when the conference expanded in 2011.
BC pushed back and so Pittsburgh was chosen with Syracuse.
When Maryland left the ACC, Clemson and Florida State threatened to go to the Big XII and used their political capital to push for Louisville over UConn.
Syracuse, Boston College, Miami Pittsburgh,Virginia Tech backed FSU/Clemson wanting Louisville over UConn.

The ACC compromised and sacrificed academics for the football program of Louisville.
Florida State and Clemson didn’t want another basketball first Northeast school and now UConn football is basically dead.
pretty funny that all of the former Big East schools backed Louisville over UConn - actually, hilarious

pretty funny that all of the former Big East schools backed Louisville over UConn - actually, hilarious
I think the UCONN vote had nothing to do with the school itself or greater UCONN community. I think it was more driven by the reality that UConn football hasn’t ever mattered, doesn’t matter, and never will matter.

It would have been interesting to see a vote between “U” of L vs WV “U”

Knocking them off Dec 6 would be great. Hopefully fans are allowed.

Correct. FSU and Clemson have historically been the most 'football first' schools in the conference. If the more academic oriented schools had their way, UConn would be in and UL would be out.
Nope. UConn never had any, whatsoever, chance to get in the ACC after its lawsuit. The story you and others keep repeating originated with that bunch of WVU and Big Ten internet trolls causing trouble for the ACC. Such things always draw sincere backing from the uninformed.

Pittsburgh was not an after thought. Pitt was a central part, indispensable part, of the plan to get Notre Dame on board.

Louisville was the only choice after Maryland, and not just because UConn had no chance. Louisville means that ND would have a border state ACC foe.

Nope. UConn never had any, whatsoever, chance to get in the ACC after its lawsuit. The story you and others keep repeating originated with that bunch of WVU and Big Ten internet trolls causing trouble for the ACC. Such things always draw sincere backing from the uninformed.

Pittsburgh was not an after thought. Pitt was a central part, indispensable part, of the plan to get Notre Dame on board.

Louisville was the only choice after Maryland, and not just because UConn had no chance. Louisville means that ND would have a border state ACC foe.

I feel like you're giving ND too much credit, and too little to Clemson and FSU. They really were close to leaving at one point, and adding UConn would've been like, well, like the Big East adding Villanova football!

BTW, before you give too much credit to that lawsuit, keep in mind that several current members of the ACC were also parties to the same lawsuit as UConn, if I'm not mistaken.

ND and UofL have absolutely nothing in common except that border. ND wouldn’t pee on UofL’s face if their teeth were on fire.