How Syracuse grad Noah Eagle, at 22, landed the Clippers radio play-by-play gig | Syracusefan.com

How Syracuse grad Noah Eagle, at 22, landed the Clippers radio play-by-play gig

Good for him, and kudos to SU. There are very few undergraduate programs in the country that open big time employment doors like Newhouse. If you are talented, the cost of Newhouse is worth the investment.

Good for him, and kudos to SU. There are very few undergraduate programs in the country that open big time employment doors like Newhouse. If you are talented, the cost of Newhouse is worth the investment.
Agreed. We were so impressed when we visited Newhouse while looking at schools and, now that my daughter is there, we are even more impressed.

Nepotism and his skill. Both are true and the former is especially common in the sports industry. Worked with a few when I was at the NHL. It is what it is.

Nepotism and his skill. Both are true and the former is especially common in the sports industry. Worked with a few when I was at the NHL. It is what it is.

Why? What's the point of posting this? How about, congratulations Noah, I'm sure you'll do well. Give em hell, kid.

Why? What's the point of posting this? How about, congratulations Noah, I'm sure you'll do well. Give em hell, kid.
Because it is true? I'm sure Noah is terrific. Just like a number of kids at Newhouse. I hope he knocks them dead. But to take offense that his name didn't help open doors is wrong. Did Collingsworth's kid have the doors at the ACC Network opened for him? Or Sean McDonaugh , who is a great pbp guy, have doors opened for him? Of course. Tim Russert's kid walked out of B.C. to cover the Hill for MSNBC. Sometimes a rose is just a rose.

Every kid uses their parents whenever they can.
The kid got the job because he is good and will work cheaply.
The last thing is important. The kid doesn’t have experience to command a high salary. He gets reps and builds up his brand. Win/win.
No doubt if he is good he will be on the path to a national job.

Noah is incredibly talented and the sky is the limit for this kid, but the fact that his Dad is Ian Eagle is probably the main reason Noah has this insane gig at age 22 as opposed to 32.

"Noah Eagle will become the second Syracuse graduate to transition from college immediately to the NBA..."

That's true...but misleading.
Marv Albert left SU to do the Knicks and finish school in NYC.
Bob Costas got the PBP job for the Spirits of St. Louis right out of school. But they were in the old ABA at the time.

Noah is very good.
Listened to him several times last season when I couldn't take the ACC announcers any longer.
Also for games that weren't available on TV in NJ.

Because it's true? Never took anything away from him. I stated a fact having worked in that industry and what I've personally seen. Someone like him doesn't get that kind of gig right out of college without knowing some people. In his case, his father is Ian who has one of the most recognizable voices in sports next to Kevin Harlan and Marv Albert. It helps that he's actually talented and refined for his age. Howie Rose's daughter runs SM for the Mets if you needed another case of a parent's name going far.

A parents name, graduating with honors from a great university, being recommended by a well known person in a given field are all ways to open the door.
That is all well and good, but all it does is get you in the door. It's what you show you can do that will keep you in the room.
In Noah's case, as Col Bleep and others indicated, he is a rising talent.

I think his dad is one of the best. It sounds like Noah made the most of what he could learn from him and he's going to have an excellent chance to start his career off in a big way.

Because it's true? Never took anything away from him. I stated a fact having worked in that industry and what I've personally seen. Someone like him doesn't get that kind of gig right out of college without knowing some people. In his case, his father is Ian who has one of the most recognizable voices in sports next to Kevin Harlan and Marv Albert. It helps that he's actually talented and refined for his age. Howie Rose's daughter runs SM for the Mets if you needed another case of a parent's name going far.

This. As another person who works in the industry, you can be the most talented person in the world coming out of school, but the media, especially on-air, is really all about connections. Noah is very talented and I've had a couple conversations with him away from work. He will crush it at this position and for the next 30 years.

It helps immensely his father is who he is.

Tricky SU, a CNS and SU graduate, is just as talented, and working his way up. Had he been a senior when the Clippers called SU, I am sure he would have been recommended, and likely would have landed the gig.
Incredibly talented and just as personable, he is being mentored by some of the best national talent in the industry. He called the Triple-A Mets games this year, just 3 years out of college.
As in all of life, timing is everything.

Congrats to Noah! From the little I've seen/heard him, I think he's excellent and certainly to be a rising talent. No doubt the 'ol adage; 'it's who you know more than what you know' (in getting that initial foot in the door) played a role here. That's just keeping things real. And, just as cream always rises to the top, his talent will ultimately determine if that's the case for him. I think he will rise, and be the next big name out there in the profession borne from Syracuse university.

Your name and family may get you noticed.
But you've got to have the goods to actually get a big time PBP job.
(Except for John Sterling, of course).
I have listened to Noah on XM radio a lot. He does a really good job hosting a radio show there. Very smart, thoughtful and insightful. He is going to kill it in LA.

Noah's great but his dad's a legend. That sure helps. It's not an insult. I'm sure noah would be the first to tell you being ians son is a blessing.

Noah's great but his dad's a legend. That sure helps. It's not an insult. I'm sure noah would be the first to tell you being ians son is a blessing.
i think it's more impressive that his dad opened a door for him potentially and the kid had talent to actually take advantage of this. i applaud both facets of it. That's how the world works. no one ever questions an athlete's son or daughter who is given a second look b/c of their genes...at some point the talent has to take over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom