How to neutralize Tre Jones? | Syracusefan.com

How to neutralize Tre Jones?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
This guy is about the best “on ball” defender around. He seems to pressure all the way from the in-bound pass. He created havoc against us in the first game before his injury. His main prey is obviously the opposing point guard.

Considering the less time Frank is getting recently, and basically having Tyus be the PG, then it appears Jones will be concentrating on Battle. I think we need two backcourt ball handlers for this game and I do not see Buddy as being one of them, nor any of our forwards to be honest.

I believe we normally have a forward in-bound after a made basket which would allow Jones to stay with the guard receiving the ball. If we had the other guard in-bound then there could be a quick outlet back to the other guard once Jones pressures the initial receiver.

This whole thread is just something I've been thinking about, but it would mean keeping Frank in the game or giving Jalen a lot of minutes. I’m not sure either of those scenarios suits JB at this point in time. What do you guys think?

This is one of my biggest concerns this weekend.

We literally had trouble moving the ball forward with anyone when he was in the game. It was uncanny.

I truly don't believe we have the ball handling ability to neutralize his defensive influence when bringing the ball up court and that we need to bring help to the ball handler.

Frank will have to play disciplined ball. None of these swooping, telegraphed bounce passes that he's had picked off recently.

This guy is about the best “on ball” defender around. He seems to pressure all the way from the in-bound pass. He created havoc against us in the first game before his injury. His main prey is obviously the opposing point guard.

Considering the less time Frank is getting recently, and basically having Tyus be the PG, then it appears Jones will be concentrating on Battle. I think we need two backcourt ball handlers for this game and I do not see Buddy as being one of them, nor any of our forwards to be honest.

I believe we normally have a forward in-bound after a made basket which would allow Jones to stay with the guard receiving the ball. If we had the other guard in-bound then there could be a quick outlet back to the other guard once Jones pressures the initial receiver.

This whole thread is just something I've been thinking about, but it would mean keeping Frank in the game or giving Jalen a lot of minutes. I’m not sure either of those scenarios suits JB at this point in time. What do you guys think?

I would guess that, at first, whoever Jones is guarding will set up on the wing and will NOT be the one bringing the ball over half court or initiating the offense. It will be interesting to see if K then decides to rotate Jones to whoever is acting as the PG.

He's sneaky from behind also getting poke away and strips. Not a great matchup. we don't need to guard him on the other end though either so its sort of a wash.

Hmmm, the keep the ball away from Frank, Jalen, Buddy, etc...if he's guarding them or in the vicinity?

Our guards no dribble round orange ball well. :(

There was at least one sequence when Louisville was pressing, and we got the ball all the way into the front court without a dribble, pure passing only, everyone simply in the right position, moving without the ball, and crisp passing. That's how we neutralize Tre Jones. Hope they're spending some practice time on that.

Imagine Pearl going against Jones... Pearl would go by him like a practice cone on the gym floor.

I still remember Pearl being TRIPLE-teamed by Georgetown players (who were renowned for their defensive prowess), and he somehow did a spin-dribble move and got by ALL of them. :cool:

We should do exactly what we did in the second half last night. Go with the Battle, Buddy, Brissett, Marek, Hughes lineup. Run the offense through Battle and our forwards, have Oshae post up without having Zion in there.

There was at least one sequence when Louisville was pressing, and we got the ball all the way into the front court without a dribble, pure passing only, everyone simply in the right position, moving without the ball, and crisp passing. That's how we neutralize Tre Jones. Hope they're spending some practice time on that.

That's what UNC did all night.

I still remember Pearl being TRIPLE-teamed by Georgetown players (who were renowned for their defensive prowess), and he somehow did a spin-dribble move and got by ALL of them. :cool:

My leading SU fantasy is that the pearl stayed for his senior year. Keith Smart hit the jumper and we react immediately by inbounding to the Pearl. 90 feet to the national championship - and Walter Berry is watching on TV.

Last edited:
th

Secondary ballhandlers, and high screens.

Having Howard bring it up on an island and initiate the offense with a pest like Jones on him is asking for trouble.

Push the ball at every opportunity, no matter who has the ball -- Brissett, Hughes, Buddy, Battle -- whoever. Mitigate his on ball defense by not putting ourselves in situations where he can isolate on a lone ball handler trying to bring the ball up slowly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom