How would you grade each player offensively (long)... | Syracusefan.com

How would you grade each player offensively (long)...

orangefan13

Hall of Fame
My ratings.
Fair A+
Cooney A+
Ennis A
Grant A-
Coleman C
Rak C-
Gbinije D+
Keita D

For extra reading......
Fair and Cooney everything to like.
Ennis A. I want to give him a A+, but hes had 6 great games, and 2 of the 9 where he was still getting settled. I don't know how he missed 3 straight foul shots in a row tonight.
Those 3 are really something special offensively they could be our best trio of the last decade offensively if they keep at this pace. to have a trio instead of a duo like that is outstanding and why were are ranked #2 right now. I would put them ahead of Devo, Flynn and Rautins right now and that is huge huge props.

The next tier is the big key I think, as thats how JB builds team nowadays with depth hoping more players will step up.
Grant A-, Coleman C

Grant is averaging 14 ppg next to Fair's 17 and Cooneys 15, for thatreason thats a automatic A of some type. The reason I give him A- and put him in the second tier is for motivation right now. His foul shooting and his jumper isn't quite there yet. In college ball you need to be able to hit a 8 footer if you are a score at the rim type forward. The day will come when you need it as you go up against someone who can slow you down some. He has had two bad games where he only put up 6, I am alittle more lienient on a freshmen point doing that then a sophmore who we need to score. His role is vital. I am tough on him but I also step back and applaud his 14 ppg. Kind of silent, but deadly.

Then there is Dajuan. A huge dropoff from Ennis' 12.5 ppg to Dajuan and Raks 5.
Even though Rak and Dajuan both average 5 I put Dajuan in this catagory with Grant solely on the reason he looks to score more, while Rak rarely does but usually his comes from inside postion Dajuan on the other hand his defender can be behind him when he starts his moves. Dajuan breaking into the C+ and eventurally the B- regioncould make us a much better team if he all of a sudden breaks out to the 7.7-9.5 ppg range.

The next tier I give to Rak and Gbinije(although I am not sure on Gbinije)
Rak C-
Gbinije not sure But I give him D+

These guys aren't really looking for their offense yet, but Rak is getting his with athleticism and inside position sitting at about a 5ppg rate. He hasn't been pushing for and creating offense off the bounce left, drawing doubles, and passing off the dribblethe last 3-4 games. Thats something he did well the first 3-4 games and hes moved away from now. There are some teams he could exploit with his dribble and passing off the dribble. His shot from anything outside of 4 feet just isn't there yet in any way shape or form.

Gbinje I give him D+ because hes not really trying to score right now, hes just concentrating on running the offense passing the ball around on offense. Keep an eye on him not getting frustrated after a bad play, its key to him staying in games as he isn't going to make huge plays and could be pulled if he doesn't stay level headed with guys like Grant, Fair, Cooney and Ennis around him. imo, JB needs to be more patient with him then others, and try keep him calm like Ennis. He shot 3-4 shots today but it was against Binghamton, not sure he has the greenlight yet against ACC level competition to be shooting 3-4 shots that aren't in transition. He hasn't figured out how to score in halfcourt transition yet if he finds even one way to, he could jump to 6-8 ppg game for the second half the season and as a 6'7 pg he has the speed to.

Lastly, Keita is Keita
D for effort but he will never get into the C range where Dajuan is right now, and Rak and Gbinije have been 3-4 games this season.

Freshmen
No Comment because they haven't played against ACC level of competition They have been hustling hard, and they are going to improve so much over the next year and a half.

Last edited:
Here are the correct grades:

Fair A-
Cooney A
Ennis A+
Grant A
Coleman C
Rak B-
Gbinije C+
Keita D+

I would take no offense to you grading players.

I would not take offense to him(or anyone) grading JarheadJim's collection of pseudo-p-0-r-n one by one. Seriously, I like to see the aspects that folks grade on, I think it would be quite interesting.

Yes, you can quibble between the A+, A, & A- grades. It is all irrelevant.

What this post points out is that we have no B grade players, ie, a guy who can at least sometimes come into a game & provide an offensive spark when one or more of our A guys isn't getting it done for whatever reason.

Every team needs a guy who maybe you can't count on every game out, but who at least from time to time can change the complexion of the game.

Here is how I see our our grade B candidates:

X & BMK - just not scorers - no way Jose - less than 10% combined.

Coleman - definite potential, but his conditioning and motor hold him back. So far, he shown very little evidence that he can get it done semi-consistently this season against the big boys. My odds on him getting to the B level by season end - 10 to 20%.

Silent G - he is the one guy who has the role, the minutes, and the legitimate opportunity to be that guy. I think he just needs to play with more confidence & look to his own game more. I do not see any reason why he shouldn't be able to come in and consistently deliver 5 to 10 PPG off the bench. The D+ grade assigned by OP is maybe a little harsh, but he is clearly not at the B level offensively. I think it can happen for Mike as his comfort level increases. My odds of his getting there by year end - 50%.

The frosh - I still haven't seen them play, so I am going by what I read second hand. BJ - not this season - 0% chance. The Beast - too many guys in front of him unless there is an injury. Skillwise, if he had rotational minutes, I think he could get it done, but barring an injury he will not get that opportunity - 10% chance. That bring us to Buss - he seems to have the type of game that is a perfect fit - potentially big spark plug, but too inconsistent to to be an A guy this season. IMHO, Mike G is being given every chance to grow into his role. I think Mike G gets it done, but if Mike G doesn't grow or even regresses then Buss will be next up & if he gets that chance he will get it done - my odds - 20%.

I am reading these posts before I read any news article about the game, but my dim recollection is that Silent G hit a 3. Later he missed an easy easy dunk. The horror! My daughter and I felt his humiliation up in 309. And then he came back and hit another 3. Ah HA! Embarrassed, but came back. Showed moxie. I think he's a good candidate for a B grade.

MG , I think should be further along than he is. He's been in a college program/system for 3 years and still looks uncomfortable and sloppy with the ball at times.

MG , I think should be further along than he is. He's been in a college program/system for 3 years and still looks uncomfortable and sloppy with the ball at times.
A SF being asked to play PG, a position he has never played.

spot on post newmexico yea the c and d grades are allitle harsh but wanted to point out i graded them on proven ability not effort

Grant gets a B. Passing and above average, leaves some to be desired.

Just offense?

Let's start with their offensive efficiency ratings, in declining order:

Cooney, 135.4
Christmas, 129.8
Ennis, 126.2
Grant, 126.0
Coleman, 124.7
Gbinije, 114.0
Keita, 107.8
Fair, 102.7
Patterson, 102.2
Roberson, 94.8
Johnson, 63.7

but that's just a piece of the puzzle. For grades, I'd go

Ennis, A+
Cooney A
Fair B+
Grant B
Coleman B
Christmas C+
Gbinije C+
Keita D

(graded on a more forgiving freshman scale)
Patterson C+
Roberson C
Johnson D

Just offense?

Let's start with their offensive efficiency ratings, in declining order:

Cooney, 135.4
Christmas, 129.8
Ennis, 126.2
Grant, 126.0
Coleman, 124.7
Gbinije, 114.0
Keita, 107.8
Fair, 102.7
Patterson, 102.2
Roberson, 94.8
Johnson, 63.7

but that's just a piece of the puzzle. For grades, I'd go

Ennis, A+
Cooney A
Fair B+
Grant B
Coleman B
Christmas C+
Gbinije C+
Keita D

(graded on a more forgiving freshman scale)
Patterson C+
Roberson C
Johnson D
Thinking your avatar would make a great t-shirt. Orange shirt with blue lettering.

Thinking your avatar would make a great t-shirt. Orange shirt with blue lettering.
would run into some legal trouble - that's the trademarked logo of the gorgeous San Ysidro Ranch (just spent a long weekend there)

san+ysidro+ranch.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom