Howard and Battle | Syracusefan.com

Howard and Battle

Defensively, I think it’s a good bet. Offensively...you’ve gotta look beyond the counting stats because anyone on the court for 40 minutes with the ball all the time is going to score a lot, and have some turnovers. Battle might score about the same, but hopefully on better %’s. I would think if anything Howard will score less...but possibly on a better % and with fewer turnovers.

I hope Carey takes a load off FH, and adds a dynamic offensive dimension that’s missing and we’re looking at the best overall backcourt in the league.

Defensively, I think it’s a good bet. Offensively...you’ve gotta look beyond the counting stats because anyone on the court for 40 minutes with the ball all the time is going to score a lot, and have some turnovers. Battle might score about the same, but hopefully on better %’s. I would think if anything Howard will score less...but possibly on a better % and with fewer turnovers.

I hope Carey takes a load off FH, and adds a dynamic offensive dimension that’s missing and we’re looking at the best overall backcourt in the league.
We need Howard to score at least as much as last year. OB and MD will score more and our bench should contribute another 10-15 points.
We don't want to get into more rock fights so the scoring overall needs to, and will, increase.

We need Howard to score at least as much as last year. OB and MD will score more and our bench should contribute another 10-15 points.
We don't want to get into more rock fights so the scoring overall needs to, and will, increase.

I think the team can score quite a bit more with Howard scoring about the same or even a little less.

Something like:
Howard - 11
Battle - 19
Brissett - 16
Marek - 9
Chukwu - 6
Sidibe - 4
Carey - 6
Hughes - 6

That’s 77 PPG which would be a significant jump...but that’s with Howard scoring a few PPG less. We definitely look to have more scoring options to where I don’t think we’ll need to rely on Howard as much.

I don't think Battle scores as much either and I think that's a good thing. The more he scores the less efficient he probably is unless he's completely refined his jumpshot and found a way to go left.

I actually think Brissett leads us in scoring.

Agreed -- if Battle and Howard's scoring averages each go down a couple points this season, it's almost surely a good sign for this team.

Don't have the time, but it'd be a fun project to chart the correlation between point guard scoring average and SU's team success.

My gut says that our best teams have low-scoring, pass-first point guards. So it'd be good for someone to take some scoring burden from Frank.

Agreed -- if Battle and Howard's scoring averages each go down a couple points this season, it's almost surely a good sign for this team.

Scoring down + more efficient offensive play = GREAT sign for this team

I think the team can score quite a bit more with Howard scoring about the same or even a little less.

Something like:
Howard - 11
Battle - 19
Brissett - 16
Marek - 9
Chukwu - 6
Sidibe - 4
Carey - 6
Hughes - 6

That’s 77 PPG which would be a significant jump...but that’s with Howard scoring a few PPG less. We definitely look to have more scoring options to where I don’t think we’ll need to rely on Howard as much.
I think Hughes will average more than 6 a game.

Something like:
Howard - 11
Battle - 19
Brissett - 16
Marek - 9
Chukwu - 6
Sidibe - 4
Carey - 6
Hughes - 6

I think it’ll be something like this

Battle 20
Brissett 17
Howard 15
Dolezaj 12
Hughes 12
Carey 10
Boeheim 8
Sidibe 8
Chewy 8
Braswell 5
Washington 5

Total 120

I’d be totally fine with Frank and Tyus’s scoring numbers to go down a bit. Theoretically they should with more minutes/bodies to go around and improvements as a whole to the supporting cast. Carey by all accounts should and will get minutes. Hughes will too. Carey will be a welcomed sight we haven’t seen here in awhile...a quick attacking taller guard who plays downhill and who won’t play east-west and/or pound the rock into the floor wasting time. Oshae’s numbers should go up and Marek’s too. Possibly Sidibe’s if he is healthy enough. At the very least this should be an average offensive team which should be a joy to watch compared to last year and some of the offensive debacles the past few years.

Last edited:
Hopefully they will be the best backcourt in the ACC but in order for that to be the case they will need to substantially improve from beyond the arc. Those #s were fugly.
Stay tuned on that. Amazing what a little rest - and a talented backup PG - can do for someone's efficiency and confidence.

Howard battle and Carey its been quite a while since I've been this excited about a backcourt. Would like to see all 3 on the court at times.
I would like to see that as well. I would love to see what a lineup of Carey, Howard, Battle, Hughes and Sidibe could do against some of the shorter teams we play early in the season.

i’d love to see Frank around 10/6/4 rebounds

2011-12 we averaged 74.1 points per game - the team was a defensive-minded group that had a couple guys who could get their own shots and a couple guys who could beat their man off the dribble.

Not suggesting we'll go 34-3, and I think we'll be a little more top heavy with scoring due to Battle being far and away our best offensive player. But I would expect our points per game to hover around 70-75 points. Or at least I would hope it would.

I wouldn't bet against Battle/Howard/Carey backcourt being among the best in the ACC.

RJ Barrett will likely be the best 2 guard in the league.

The Kyle/Jerome backcourt was 17-1 in league play

Lots of great competition for "best" in ACC

I'm thinking more like:

Howard - 13
Battle - 17
Brissett - 16
Marek - 8
Chukwu - 4
Sidibe - 4
Carey - 6
Hughes - 10

That's 78 points, which would be pretty awesome.
Carey should score a lot more than that, but I’m not sure who I’d take away points from based on your list though

I'm thinking more like:

Howard - 13
Battle - 17
Brissett - 16
Marek - 8
Chukwu - 4
Sidibe - 4
Carey - 6
Hughes - 10

That's 78 points, which would be pretty awesome.
I think the centers score a bit more and Hughes less. I don't see the playing time for him to get to 10ppg. Would love 78 points... I have a similar total ppg. However we still will play slow-ish imo given our strength being the zone, so wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to 70-73. I do expect efficiency higher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom