howard/carey | Syracusefan.com

howard/carey

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
didnt we make that 2nd half run against ohio st with carey in? jb cant fall in love with experience, carey gets us out in transition, howard is still throwing bad alley oop passes. we need both guys, but jb better not automatically give howard 38 minutes a game once acc play rolls around just cuz hes a senior and carey a frosh.

didnt we make that 2nd half run against ohio st with carey in? jb cant fall in love with experience, carey gets us out in transition, howard is still throwing bad alley oop passes. we need both guys, but jb better not give howard 38 minutes a game once acc play rolls around.

We know the end game here. JB is going to plow ahead with Frank. He doesn’t bench seniors

Frank will be playing well sooner rather than later.

What are you basing this on? He's into his 4th year here, so we've had a pretty good sample size of Frank, and he is, what he is. Which is, that he's just as likely to not play well as playing well. I'll take the frosh who pushes the pace, has an aggressive no fear demeanor and a ton of upside. He also has excellent size at the top of zone and I don't think there is much of a drop off there (if any at all) compared to Frank. Carey also seems to have much better lateral movement, not just now with Frank coming off the injury, but even last years Frank, etc.

What are you basing this on? He's into his 4th year here, so we've had a pretty good sample size of Frank, and he is, what he is. Which is, that he's just as likely to not play well as playing well. I'll take the frosh who pushes the pace, has an aggressive no fear demeanor and a ton of upside. He also has excellent size at the top of zone and I don't think there is much of a drop off there (if any at all) compared to Frank. Carey also seems to have much better lateral movement, not just now with Frank coming off the injury, but even last years Frank, etc.

Cool story I bet frank gets back playing well soon. Also, boeheim said frank was playing best he has this summer. We can talk in a month about this.

Last edited:
didnt we make that 2nd half run against ohio st with carey in? jb cant fall in love with experience, carey gets us out in transition, howard is still throwing bad alley oop passes. we need both guys, but jb better not automatically give howard 38 minutes a game once acc play rolls around just cuz hes a senior and carey a frosh.

I mean...Boeheim just went with Carey a lot in big spots. Part of that was foul trouble, but still.

So what makes you think he’ll go with 38 of Howard? I think IF Howard plays 38 in a game, it will be because he’s playing an amazing game - which would be a good thing.

Frank is not himself and not playing well overall, but he did have some big plays today too. Thought the alley-oop charge 5th foul was a bad call in real time. Would like to see the replay.

Carey is the better player right now...but I don't expect that to be the case for the entire season.

Nice to see howard finally get some drives in...now he needs to get his shot back - and hopefully he can learn a thing or two from carey about pushing the ball and playing with pace - that's what the team needs to do.

It’s going to be interesting. Even if you believe Frank will improve because he’s recovering and still not 100%, it’s lilely also that Carey will improve and develop as he gets more experience at this level.

Frank was fine today except for the damn fouls. Missed his first 3 shots then made the next 2. Drive a little finally. Had some nice assists including on a fast break and was great in defense getting 4 steals in less than half the game. He won’t play 37 cause he doesn’t have too. But he’ll play 32 when he is truly 100%.

Frank was fine today except for the damn fouls. Missed his first 3 shots then made the next 2. Drive a little finally. Had some nice assists including on a fast break and was great in defense getting 4 steals in less than half the game. He won’t play 37 cause he doesn’t have too. But he’ll play 32 when he is truly 100%.
But I wish he would push the pace. Can he push the pace?

In the presser JB said FH was not where he needs to be yet with his conditioning, and it was left implied that was one reason the team is about 2weeks or so behind where it needs to be.
Yes, he also said Frank is playing too slow right now and we can’t play at that pace and be successful. Also complimented Carey on several things, just really doesn’t want him to get baited into taking the open 3

But I wish he would push the pace. Can he push the pace?

We only had 3-4 fast breaks in the 2nd half. One was frank to Hughes. We weren’t running like crazy.

splitting the minutes there is better than either playing 38+.

We only had 3-4 fast breaks in the 2nd half. One was frank to Hughes. We weren’t running like crazy.

BULL. Once Frank picked up his 4th foul, Carey pushed the pace. What game were you watching? Terrible plodding game by Frank. Terrible. He's not ready. You and Trueblue need to shut down the nonsense. Carey needs time until Frank is better. It's obvious he's not himself.

BULL. Once Frank picked up his 4th foul, Carey pushed the pace. What game were you watching? Terrible plodding game by Frank. Terrible. He's not ready. You and Trueblue need to shut down the nonsense. Carey needs time until Frank is better. It's obvious he's not himself.

Well, maybe part of getting better is playing.

Frank to Hughes, Carey to Brissett, Battle all the way twice. They all came in the same time span though.

Both players bring different assets to the team and not sure I could definitively pick one over the other. Frank is better on defense and can drive as well...Carey sees the floor better and is faster off the break and probably a better passer. I really think that a mix of both is best for the team

Gonna need them both. Like JB said earlier, what we need most is Frank’s shooting so he can slide Tyus to the 3 with Carey on the floor.
Frank isn’t healthy, at least twice today he didn’t even attempt to challenge a 3 point shooter. Just stared him down, that’s not how he played last year.

Carey gives us a different dimension, but he’s high risk high reward right now. He makes plays that Frank can’t pushing the ball...but he’s also bound to make freshmen decisions.

But Carey is covering sooooo much ground at the top of the zone. He is an ELITE defender ...I think most are coming around to this part of his game.

People (myself included) are in love with Carey’s potential...but we’re not going to get his polished product this year...and he will not be allowed to shoot this year.

Both need to play well for us to be better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom