Howard Washington 'hitting milestones' in knee rehab | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington 'hitting milestones' in knee rehab

Saw him at my Gym in Buffalo a few weeks back, he was walking around just fine, no limp or anything. He was in there everyday that week. I asked him how the leg was coming along he said very well, then I told him we were going to need to step in now that Tyus is leaving (or so I believed at the time). He said Yes Sir, and I said Go Orange. Im sure I creeped the kid out enough so I didn't pry much more, but he looked like he was healing nicely from what I could tell

Of course he is. Peoples fears about him not being ready to go for practice were completely unfounded.

I still think he redshirts. He can run straight, but he can't stop or cut on a dime.

If he redshirts it won't be because of injury. Listen to the board doctor folks!

No doubt. He could easily be a starter as a 5th year senior. The idea of sacrificing that in order to be the 9th man this year is insane.

And I don't even know about 9th man -- maybe 11th.

If we go with the generally accepted 8 as comprising the main rotation [Howard, Battle, Brissett, Dolezaj, Chukwu, Carey, Hughes, Sidibe] -- it isn't hard to envision that Buddy Boeheim would be the 9th man, due to his superlative outside shooting [being the coach's kid doesn't hurt his cause, either]. Heck, he might even play in the regular rotation, depending on how well [or poorly] we shoot the ball. Braswell is a human hyphen, but he might be the next guy in the rotation due to the lack of depth at forward.

Certainly, Washington might leapfrog either or both of those guys, but if backcourt depth is such that Boeheim might get squeezed out of regular PT, then the depth at that position suggests that HW would be lower in the pecking order than Braswell. I'd prefer to see him redshirt to space himself out eligibility wise, and not burn a year of eligibility as the 9th, 10th, or 11th man in what is shaping up as an 8 player rotation.

I also agree with your point above about it not being difficult to envision him being a quality upperclassman contributor. Not sure if he's as good as Griffin [I've compared him to Greg Monroe, in terms of how his career arc might go], but I could see him being a quality player down the road -- which is why I'd hate to see him squander a year. We'll see how it goes.

With the new rules, we've got 4 games into the season to make those choices.

He may not want to go five years, who knows.

If he redshirts it won't be because of injury. Listen to the board doctor folks!

I think what should also be taken into consideration is whether he’s been able to progress his game. Even if he’s 100% healthy for the start of practice, if he had to sit out for a few months, and then rehab just to get back on the court for a few months...how much better did his game get?

A redshirt year would give him that lost time back and then some.

Greg Monroe was an astounding career 43% from three, with a career 4:1 assist to turnover ratio! Not many Cuse shooting guards have put up better numbers. I hope that Washington can be compared to Monroe but at this point I do not see the comparison, not to mention that they play different positions. .

Last edited:
There is no reason he needs to rush this. Practice with team and redshirt if he wants to optimize his situation. Coming back from an injury like that is so mental and ACC crossovers are will test everyone’s knees relentlessly

Not sure how you know that, but regardless it’s June, not October. It’s a process.

Yeah not sure what people are thinking here. Hes like nineteen and practice is still four months away.

Not sure how you know that, but regardless it’s June, not October. It’s a process.

It was a guess and the article itselt said he's only running in straight lines. When he's cleared for contact, then you can be optimistic.

With the new rules, we've got 4 games into the season to make those choices.

He may not want to go five years, who knows.
That applies for hoops too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom