Howard Washington... | Syracusefan.com

Howard Washington...

I truly do realize everything Howard has gone through and why people want the best for him......but, settling the team down? All he does is bring the the ball down the court, dribble between his legs 25 feet from the hoop and pass the ball around the peremeter. He's unathletic, can't penetrate and isn't a good
shooter. Unless it's a blowout, he shouldn't be playing. Unfortunately, with an aging coach and assistants who can't recruit with the upper echelon of college basketball, we won't have capable players who can come off the bench to provide a spark.

I truly do realize everything Howard has gone through and why people want the best for him...but, settling the team down? All he does is bring the the ball down the court, dribble between his legs 25 feet from the hoop and pass the ball around the peremeter. He's unathletic, can't penetrate and isn't a good
shooter. Unless it's a blowout, he shouldn't be playing. Unfortunately, with an aging coach and assistants who can't recruit with the upper echelon of college basketball, we won't have capable players who can come off the bench to provide a spark.

It's not a coincidence that they blew the game open right when he subbed in in the first half. Kid's effective on offense without taking a shot.

I truly do realize everything Howard has gone through and why people want the best for him...but, settling the team down? All he does is bring the the ball down the court, dribble between his legs 25 feet from the hoop and pass the ball around the peremeter. He's unathletic, can't penetrate and isn't a good
Whenever I see people making comments like this, it never acknowledges his defense. You all only see offense, but there are two ends of the court. And he's the best defender we have of the guards we have.

He is a game manager and controls the tempo. He doesn't have to shoot it much to be effective.
The team had a sense of organization with him on the court. He also has very good court sense and even when he makes a mistake he usually makes up for it with a better play. He actually is a more consistent rebounder for a guard despite his slender frame. He is a nice change of pace for Joe who was a little shaky early on.

Whenever I see people making comments like this, it never acknowledges his defense. You all only see offense, but there are two ends of the court. And he's the best defender we have of the guards we have.

His position defense is as good as anyone in the past few years. He doesn't gamble, takes great angles and makes it very difficult for teams to effectively work the zone through a man at the high post.

I know I've said this before, but Howard is also a very likable human being who is well-liked by his team mates -- all of whom are rooting for him. Imagine having a stroke at age 20 --- and willing yourself to come back and play high-major D-1 basketball. And to play it extremely well.

I don't get it when someone is so gratuitously anti-Howard Washington. Are you also cruel to small animals?

Last edited:
The score was 11-7 SU when Howard entered the game in the 1st half at 8:15 mark. He played the rest of the half and we out scored BC 27-6. I am not solely crediting him for that huge run, but he gets into offense faster and he gets in transition quicker.

I know I've said this before, but Howard is also a very likable human being who is well-liked by his team mates -- all of whom are rooting for him. Imagine having a stroke at age 20 --- and willing yourself to come back and play high-major D-1 basketball. And to play it extremely well.

I don't get it when someone is so gratuitously anti-Howard Washington. Are you also cruel to small animals?
It's not just cruel it's inaccurate. He doesn't just dribble between his legs 25 feet from the hoop. He is good at getting to the free throw line while maintaining his dribble and getting the ball to people for good looks, he set a screen for buddy to get a wide open 3 and has really good vision in general. He is also our best guard defending by a good margin.

I agree Washington isn't a great shooter but everything else you said about his game is not true

Knowing the devestation a stroke can cause someone, especially at that age, I find Howard Washingtom to be an inspiration, and his situation gives me extra reason to root for him.

That said, it is not Geneseo1983 that has kept Howard on the bench most of the time. Some people on here talk to people in the organization and might have a better chance of their wish of seeing howard more if they told those people these things, and not some random guy on the internet. If these people don't feel comfortable asking, maybe they have have the board treasure, SWC75, ask Coach on his call in show.

Also, while some could find anything negative said about Howard to be insensitive, I do not think it's logical to think someone is necessarily being "cruel"(and certainly not intentionally) just because they don't share your opinions or understandings of Howard's play and/or situation. We see these claims laid in real life when people are simply disagreeing about policy. It's not right then, nor here. Calling something "inaccurate" is fine, because that is a matter of fact, not opinion.

Believe it or not, sometimes I will stick my neck out for strangers that I disagree with to try to smooth over what appears to be a misunderstanding, even if it's on a topic I am more familiar with than I ever wanted to be. There is some truth in what each of you have said, as well as some stuff that could be agued otherwise. Howard seems to have a great heart and spirit and will be fine. It's our charge to do right by each other.

Last edited:
I think Washington is still way to hesitant offensively because hes afraid of the quick hook and he needs to provide a lot more on that side of the ball. That said defensively I thought he played very well and he hasn't been turning it over which is a massive positive. He had 2 or 3 steals in the second half today that we haven't seen the guards make in a while. If he can get any semblance of an offensive game going were in business.

Last edited:
Runs the team and plays defense. He is what we hoped Carey would be. JB was very complimentary of his play tonight. I bet he sees more minutes.
I mean, yes we hoped Carey could run the PG position and play great defense. But before the season we also thought he’d be able to drive into the lane and score or dish and hit the mid range jumper. The hope was that he could score 8-10 ppg. Of course it’s not really fair to evaluate him. We don’t know what he might have turned into since he’s been injured since like the second or third game of the season.

I mean, yes we hoped Carey could run the PG position and play great defense. But before the season we also thought he’d be able to drive into the lane and score or dish and hit the mid range jumper. The hope was that he could score 8-10 ppg. Of course it’s not really fair to evaluate him. We don’t know what he might have turned into since he’s been injured since like the second or third game of the season.
Not trying to take a shot at Carey just trying to point out that you don't have to shoot to be an effective PG, especially when there are shooters on the floor to set up.

I wish Carey the best

Howard Washington looks like a poor man's Tyler Ennis on this team.

He is a game manager and controls the tempo. He doesn't have to shoot it much to be effective.
The team had a sense of organization with him on the court. He also has very good court sense and even when he makes a mistake he usually makes up for it with a better play. He actually is a more consistent rebounder for a guard despite his slender frame. He is a nice change of pace for Joe who was a little shaky early on.
Plus being 4-6 inches taller than Joe really helps:)

I know. Actually it does look more like 4. Height as we all know doesn't matter. Length does and Howard has a much greater reach/wing span. Glad to see him play well. He adds a different element at the point.

I think part of the issue with Howard is the inflated expectations some of us may have had because he shares the name of the talented PG in my avatar. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom