How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU? | Syracusefan.com

How's the transfer portal ledger looking for SU?

RF2044

Living Legend
So looking at the transfer ledger, here's how I view the roster changes.

Symir < Westry -- pretty easy one here.

Girard < JJ -- I know that this will be controversial opinion to some, and at the very least the numbers don't bear that out, but one is gifted offensively / limited defensively, and the other is a former McD's All American 5-star recruit. For what our coaching staff wants to do, I think we net gained.

JBA < open scholarship -- with all due respect to Jon Bol being great teammate / having a great attitude, having the open roster spot is a bigger "asset."

All positive roster developments thus far, IMO. Then we have...

Jesse > open scholarship -- outcome TBD, depending on how we fill this hole.

Girard < JJ -- I know that this will be controversial opinion to some, and at the very least the numbers don't bear that out, but one is gifted offensively / limited defensively, and the other is a former McD's All American 5-star recruit. For what our coaching staff wants to do, I think we net gained.

JBA < open scholarship -- with all due respect to Jon Bol being great teammate / having a great attitude, having the open roster spot is a bigger "asset."

Patterson effectively took JBA’s spot. Probably equal swap if we’re being honest.

#’s wise, we might not win out with the center but the new center might work better with a m2m, uptempo type offense/defense. We will see. I’d kill for a outside threat center who could clear space for Benny to operate in the paint

#’s wise, we might not win out with the center but the new center might work better with a m2m, uptempo type offense/defense. We will see. I’d kill for a outside threat center who could clear space for Benny to operate in the paint
Even with adding a center, I still feel we’re weak / thin at forward especially from a rebounding standpoint.

Benny is not going to operate in the paint. We know that. We need a defensive presence

I prefer us to have Cs who are 6'9, big bodied, and can grab rebounds vs tall and lanky guys who seem to rarely pan out.
Agree especially going away from the zone.

North Texas kid looks good him with Hima and Brown should be enough size. Williams is getting his minutes at the 4.

Carey and Patterson might enter the mix.

Teams still pretty young though we could have used a veteran older guy at center.

Benny is not going to operate in the paint. We know that. We need a defensive presence
I agree - this thought that Benny needs room to operate baffles me. We need him to pressure the paint and defend, but thus far he's a three point shooter.

I agree - this thought that Benny needs room to operate baffles me. We need him to pressure the paint and defend, but thus far he's a three point shooter.
It might actually work out with him, as we are going to need him as a three point threat.

Don’t disagree, but JJ wasn’t great last year, maybe with Reds coaching style he’ll play at a high level. Very well could be a upgrade over Joe, but time will tell. I think our defense will be really good.

Until we fill the center spot, it’s an incomplete with a lean towards a net negative (assuming Judah leaves).

I love the potential guard play. I think Benny will have a really nice year. I think Maliq will be very steady and also improved. But If those are 2 are going to be our 2 best bigs, we’re in trouble. I think we’ll be good guarding the perimeter but we won’t have much rim protection or rebounding. I think Hima is an ok back up at 10mpg.

I know Jesse ended up being somewhat decisive here as far as how good he actually was. But he will be a huge loss unless we land a big.
If we get Cisse, it’s an A++ if Judah comes back.

I do think Red is going the Miami style. A bunch of guards who penetrate, and all 5 defenders are mobile, can switch, and aggressively rebound.

I do think Red is going the Miami style. A bunch of guards who penetrate, and all 5 defenders are mobile, can switch, and aggressively rebound.
Christian Bale Oooo GIF

I think we are a little bit obsessed with getting a true center. If we are playing man and not zone we don’t automatically need a 7 foot rim protector. There’s many teams at the college and professional level who are successful without playing a true center.

I think we are a little bit obsessed with getting a true center. If we are playing man and not zone we don’t automatically need a 7 foot rim protector. There’s many teams at the college and professional level who are successful without playing a true center.
Regardless, we need some size and rebounding ability down low. Brown, Benny and Hima aren’t enough.

We need a Lydon type of player on this roster at forward. Someone that can stretch the floor and rebound..I don’t see it with our current roster at forward. I’m shocked if we don’t add a forward but it seems like we are content at that position