HS 3pt and dunk contest | Syracusefan.com

HS 3pt and dunk contest

With Girad and Goodine.

I know it was posted somewhere but in this day and age who doesn’t need a reminder

Goodine put up nearly the same second round score as Joe, but looked more inconsistent doing it, as BG’s shots were off left/right when Joe’s were almost all on-line. A lot of arc for Brycen, as well. Wonder if that will be ‘coached out’ or if it’s okay as is.

I really liked them saying how Goodine said he's a dunker and a shooter. What's not to love?

Goodine put up nearly the same second round score as Joe, but looked more inconsistent doing it, as BG’s shots were off left/right when Joe’s were almost all on-line. A lot of arc for Brycen, as well. Wonder if that will be ‘coached out’ or if it’s okay as is.

More arc is better than less

I thought Goodine was signed up for the dunk contest.

Also cuse at duke from this season on some channel called college stadium.

I thought Goodine was signed up for the dunk contest.

Also cuse at duke from this season on some channel called college stadium.

He jammed a finger and couldn’t grip the ball well enough so him and battle switched events.

More arc is better than less
Sooo... here’s no such thing as ‘too much?’
Sooo... coaches should tell JG3 to add arc?

Seriously, I thought shot doctors talk about a point where there is an unnecessary amount of arc, and all you’re doing is adding more ‘flight distance,’ which just magnifies inaccuracy.

Sooo... here’s no such thing as ‘too much?’
Sooo... coaches should tell JG3 to add arc?

Seriously, I thought shot doctors talk about a point where there is an unnecessary amount of arc, and all you’re doing is adding more ‘flight distance,’ which just magnifies inaccuracy.

IDK, maybe. Didn't look like he had 'too much' arc.

I'm just against messing with a jumper that isn't broken. Tyus had an okay jumper that he tried to make better and he broke it.

Smaller ball

It became 1 inch smaller when men and the NCAA took over the women’s collegiate game from the AIAW (women ran it until the early 80’s). The NCAA’s first rule change was switching women to the smaller ball in 1984 (since women have smaller hands) hoping to make more money with the women’s game supposedly to help women dunk and thus attract more male fans, thus money. Women at the time protested to no avail - in college we had always used the same ball as men until the NCAA took over. The men’s game back then was obsessed with dunking. It created new lucrative product lines for sport’s companies who also started making even smaller youth basketballs for youth leagues than the new women’s ball taking advantage of basketball’s exploding popularity.

IDK, maybe. Didn't look like he had 'too much' arc.

I'm just against messing with a jumper that isn't broken. Tyus had an okay jumper that he tried to make better and he broke it.

There is in fact an optimal arc for shooting. If you take into account ball backspin and trajectory to calculate the shot angle approaching the area of the rim, the highest margin for error (i.e. greatest chance of ball entry through the hoop) is at a 52 degree angle (IIRC, it's been awhile since I looked at the physics). This allows for the most right/left and long/short variance of the ball's position to still go through the hoop. When you actually calculate the angle and associated trajectory, it comes out that very few shooters in fact have arc as high as the optimal arc. So generally speaking, for putting the ball through the hoop you want more arc rather than less.

If you are interested in the derivation of the physics, there is an excellent book on the Physics of Basketball by John Fontanella (ex professor at the Naval Academy and former research collaborator of mine).

There is in fact an optimal arc for shooting. If you take into account ball backspin and trajectory to calculate the shot angle approaching the area of the rim, the highest margin for error (i.e. greatest chance of ball entry through the hoop) is at a 52 degree angle (IIRC, it's been awhile since I looked at the physics). This allows for the most right/left and long/short variance of the ball's position to still go through the hoop. When you actually calculate the angle and associated trajectory, it comes out that very few shooters in fact have arc as high as the optimal arc. So generally speaking, for putting the ball through the hoop you want more arc rather than less.

If you are interested in the derivation of the physics, there is an excellent book on the Physics of Basketball by John Fontanella (ex professor at the Naval Academy and former research collaborator of mine).

I heard it was a book that they turned into a novel
so weird, like really weird

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom